Tanner Scott Prefers the Bullpen

weams

Per Roch

* Orioles director of player development Brian Graham said left-hander Tanner Scott probably will continue his pitching education at Triple-A Norfolk, still used as a starter while building up innings and sharpening his secondary pitches to compliment the triple-digit fastball.

“Whatever they want to do with me, I’m going to do,” Scott said. “Would I like to be a reliever? Yeah, but if they want me to be a starter, I’ll give it a shot. I’ll accept the challenge.”

Interesting to me that Scott prefers to work out of the bullpen.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, but not too surprising IMO.  Here's a guy who got a cup of coffee in the majors and is probably hoping to go into Spring Training to compete for a role in the Orioles bullpen.  Now he's being told he's starting in AAA, end of story.  Plus he's got to develop another workable pitch while keeping his slider sharp (that just last year really started being a weapon), build innings, improve control/command, and not hurt his arm.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Interesting, but not too surprising IMO.  Here's a guy who got a cup of coffee in the majors and is probably hoping to go into Spring Training to compete for a role in the Orioles bullpen.  Now he's being told he's starting in AAA, end of story.  Plus he's got to develop another workable pitch while keeping his slider sharp (that just last year really started being a weapon), build innings, improve control/command, and not hurt his arm.

So he can be the left-handed Mike Wright.

I wish we could sub out pitching development to a third-party contractor. We suck at it.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Sorry, Tanner.  You are not Manny.  You don't get to pick what position you want to play on the big league team.   Oh yeah..... neither did Manny when he was in the minors.   Although now it seems like Manny will be able to pick his spot.    But either way, Tanner, you don't.  

11 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Sorry, Tanner.  You are not Manny.  You don't get to pick what position you want to play on the big league team.   Oh yeah..... neither did Manny when he was in the minors.   Although now it seems like Manny will be able to pick his spot.    But either way, Tanner, you don't.  

How dare he express an opinion!  The gall!

12 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

And he most definitely didn’t imply that he did.  

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think everyone outside the folks in the warehouse prefer him in the bullpen.

I doubt the Warehouse has a different opinion.   If they did, they wouldn’t be limiting his “starts” to three innings.   

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do we know that he will be limited to three innings this year?

You know, I thought I had read that in one of the blogs about minicamp, but looking back, I don’t see it, so it was probably my own inference that they were going to use him the same way as last year.    So, I definitely could be wrong.    And I agree that it would be stupid to try to convert Scott to a starter.   

• 1 month later...

There’s been no talk of Scott this ST. 3 scoreless IP so far. If Castro makes the rotation then the middle of the pen looks a little shaky. 

It’s good for development and all to add a third pitch(change up), but Brach has talked a lot before about out keeping three pitches going is really hard out of the pen. Brach has been an all star and a big time reliever for us. What do we expect Scott to be?  Let him be a FB/SL guy and get big league hitters out.  Works for Givens.

Get the MLB innings out of his arm now. He seems like an afterthought, even in articles about the club. 

Developmentally, Scott and Hunter Harvey are just about twins to me.  If they're good through Memorial Day and the team needs more good pitchers, things get awfully interesting.

I'd be more cautious in a vacuum, but I think the Buck/Jones/Manny/Britton body of work has earned enough that I'm completely at peace with honoring it by giving the 2018 Orioles these toys to play with if they demonstrate they can help.

I think Scott's ultimately a 1-inning guy, but if he thrives in his 2nd and 3rd innings, those two could even become a SP tandem.

Archived