Tanner Scott Prefers the Bullpen

weams

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/14/2018 at 8:23 AM, tntoriole said:

Sorry, Tanner.  You are not Manny.  You don't get to pick what position you want to play on the big league team.   Oh yeah..... neither did Manny when he was in the minors.   Although now it seems like Manny will be able to pick his spot.    But either way, Tanner, you don't.  

Wait, what? Did you just read that as Scott trying to pick his role? Everyone including Scott (Minus the Orioles) know his role will be as a reliever in the majors. There are open positions on the Orioles roster for a reliever, including a left-handed reliever. So it makes complete sense to me that the guy would like to go for a roster spot. 

I understood why the Orioles did what they did last year with Scott, but he passed that test. They now need to see how he responds to pitching more often, even back to back games with his new and improved slider. 

i see absolutely nothing wrong with Scott voicing his opinion that he would like to be a reliever. Just means the kid lives in reality.

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Wait, what? Did you just read that as Scott trying to pick his role? Everyone including Scott (Minus the Orioles) know his role will be as a reliever in the majors. There are open positions on the Orioles roster for a reliever, including a left-handed reliever. So it makes complete sense to me that the guy would like to go for a roster spot. 

I understood why the Orioles did what they did last year with Scott, but he passed that test. They now need to see how he responds to pitching more often, even back to back games with his new and improved slider. 

i see absolutely nothing wrong with Scott voicing his opinion that he would like to be a reliever. Just means the kid lives in reality.

If Castro makes the rotation and the rule 5’s don’t pan out, the bullpen is wide open. I’d like to see Scott in a traditional role and have him air it out for an inning. I trust Buck with handling relievers. It was smart develop Scott last year in “starts”, but this year we should let him learn how to get MLB hitters out. Then expound on that role if he has success. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The non existent amount of talk about this guy has me worried that he’s not a nugget. We’re down a top closer, and we hear next to nothing about our lefty in the upper minors that throws 100. That’s strange. 

I think it's because that's kind of all he does so far. There's no devastating breaking ball to go along with that upper 90s fastball. At least not yet.

That, and they desperately want him to become a starter, though that seems like wishful thinking.

That and he doesn't really throw 100 these days because he can't control it.

All of this adds up to being basically Joely Rodriguez.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m a little worried about Scott. He doesn’t look dominant at all up here. Do the hitters just see the ball too good off him?  

I’m not expecting Andrew Miller, but this guy is looking more like Donnie Hart. At least Hart had breaking pitches, a deceptive wind up, and was murder on LH’s. 

Scott just looks like a guy so far. 

55 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m a little worried about Scott. He doesn’t look dominant at all up here. Do the hitters just see the ball too good off him?  

I’m not expecting Andrew Miller, but this guy is looking more like Donnie Hart. At least Hart had breaking pitches, a deceptive wind up, and was murder on LH’s. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I actually thought he was the one brightspot last night.

Close runner up is Santander with the bat.  Looks like he may be coming out of his slump.

• 4 months later...
20 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Is there any chance they try him as a SP next year?

I think that shipped sailed awhile back. He just doesn't have the command, or really control to be a starter.

Scott can have dominant stuff and the hope is that with more time he will become more consistent from outing to outing of even batter to batter sometimes. If I have one concern it's that batters seem to pick up his fastball pretty well, which means he needs to spot it better and I'm not sure he has the command for that.

Regardless, he's the kind of guy who gets the next year or maybe two proving whether he can be a counted on reliever when this team has a chance to be a contender again.

Archived