Luke's Top 50 Orioles Prospects!

weams

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Just the tonic!    Plenty to be excited about on this list.    

I have one question.   You mentioned how Hays hadn’t shown much power in college, but the O’s made an adjustment in his swing that allowed him to get more hip separation and generate more power.   Then your write-up on Sisco mentioned he doesn’t have much power because he doesn’t get much hip separation.   Do you think an adjustment similar to the one the O’s made with Hays would work for Sisco, or does he have a different kind of swing that just isn’t worth messing with?

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just the tonic!    Plenty to be excited about on this list.    

I have one question.   You mentioned how Hays hadn’t shown much power in college, but the O’s made an adjustment in his swing that allowed him to get more hip separation and generate more power.   Then your write-up on Sisco mentioned he doesn’t have much power because he doesn’t get much hip separation.   Do you think an adjustment similar to the one the O’s made with Hays would work for Sisco, or does he have a different kind of swing that just isn’t worth messing with?

I’m not a hitting coach (obviously), just picking up on differences while watching in slow motion, so I couldn’t say whether it’d be worth it.

Sisco could easily get more aggressive with his lower half or load with his hands more. Cedric Mullins is a good example of loading with the hands/torso. Josh Donaldson is an example of an aggressive use of the lower half.

I think Hays is also physically stronger, especially in the hands and wrists. All they did with him was adjust the timing so his hips started earlier so they were already opening when the bat enters the zone, rather than opening as the bat leaves the zone.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I’m not a hitting coach (obviously), just picking up on differences while watching in slow motion, so I couldn’t say whether it’d be worth it.

Sisco could easily get more aggressive with his lower half or load with his hands more. Cedric Mullins is a good example of loading with the hands/torso. Josh Donaldson is an example of an aggressive use of the lower half.

I think Hays is also physically stronger, especially in the hands and wrists. All they did with him was adjust the timing so his hips started earlier so they were already opening when the bat enters the zone, rather than opening as the bat leaves the zone.

Thanks.    My feeling is stick with what has worked, and once Sisco is established as a guy who can hit for average and OBP in the majors, he can worry about adjustment that would increase his power.    He’s got plenty of other things on his plate.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thanks.    My feeling is stick with what has worked, and once Sisco is established as a guy who can hit for average and OBP in the majors, he can worry about adjustment that would increase his power.    He’s got plenty of other things on his plate.

I see what you did there.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, that's my take too.  Camden's short RF porch and the MLB ball may really help his power output anyway, no reason to mess with it now. 

Tony’s OH list vs. Luke’s solo list:

1.   Hays/Hays

2.   Mountcastle/Sisco

3.   Harvey/Mountcastle 

4.    Sisco/Harvey

5.    Hall/Hall

6.    Stewart/Mullins

7.    Wells/Stewart

8.    Santander/Akin

9.     Akin/Wells

10.   Mullins/Scott

11.   Scott/Lowther

12.    Baumann/A. Hall

13.   Bishop/Santander 

14.    Reyes/Reyes

15.   A. Hall/Hanifee

16.   Lowther/Sedlock

17.   Hanifee/Baumann

18.    Sparks/Mesa

19.    Wynns/Long

20.     Rifaela/Bishop

21.    Sedlock/Cortes

22.    Fenter/Sparks 

23.    Ynoa/Peluffo

24.    Long/McKenna

25.    Hess/Rifaela

26.    Liranzo/Ynoa

27.    Dietz/Dietz

28.     McKenna/Vespi

29.     L. Gonzalez/Ring

30.     Peralta/Fenter

(Note: Tony’s list didn’t include the Rule 5 guys.)

The lists are close at the top, and as would be expected, vary more the further down the list you go.    To me the most interesting differences are (Tony’s ranking/Luke’s ranking):

Mullins 10/5

Santander 8/13

Lowther 16/11

Baumann 12/17

Bishop 13/20

Sedlock 21/16

Wynns 19/35

Long 24/19

Peluffo —/23

Hess 25/32

I think the assessment of Baumann, Bishop and Lowther is particularly interesting, since all three pitched at Aberdeen at age 21 after being drafted last June.  Of the three, Luke likes Lowther the best, while Tony likes him the least, and Tony is much higher on Bishop than Luke.    Still, there’s a consensus that all three are in the 11-20 range, along with Hanifee, who also pitched at Aberdeen but is two years younger, having been drafted out of high school in 2016.

Anyway, lots of interesting names on these lists and I can’t wait to see how 2018 plays out for them!

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tony’s OH list vs. Luke’s solo list:

1.   Hays/Hays

2.   Mountcastle/Sisco

3.   Harvey/Mountcastle 

4.    Sisco/Harvey

5.    Hall/Hall

6.    Stewart/Mullins

7.    Wells/Stewart

8.    Santander/Akin

9.     Akin/Wells

10.   Mullins/Scott

11.   Scott/Lowther

12.    Baumann/A. Hall

13.   Bishop/Santander 

14.    Reyes/Reyes

15.   A. Hall/Hanifee

16.   Lowther/Sedlock

17.   Hanifee/Baumann

18.    Sparks/Mesa

19.    Wynns/Long

20.     Rifaela/Bishop

21.    Sedlock/Cortes

22.    Fenter/Sparks 

23.    Ynoa/Peluffo

24.    Long/McKenna

25.    Hess/Rifaela

26.    Liranzo/Ynoa

27.    Dietz/Dietz

28.     McKenna/Vespi

29.     L. Gonzalez/Ring

30.     Peralta/Fenter

The lists are close at the top, and as would be expected, vary more the further down the list you go.    To me the most interesting differences are (Tony’s ranking/Luke’s ranking):

Mullins 10/5

Santander 8/13

Lowther 16/11

Baumann 12/17

Bishop 13/20

Sedlock 21/16

Wynns 19/35

Long 24/19

Peluffo —/23

Hess 25/32

I think the assessment of Baumann, Bishop and Lowther is particularly interesting, since all three pitched at Aberdeen at age 21 after being drafted last June.  Of the three, Luke likes Lowther the best, while Tony likes him the least, and Tony is much higher on Bishop than Luke.    Still, there’s a consensus that all three are in the 11-20 range, along with Hanifee, who also pitched at Aberdeen but is two years younger, having been drafted out of high school in 2016.

Anyway, lots of interesting names on these lists and I can’t wait to see how 2018 plays out for them!

A lot of effort went into both of these lists. I am thrilled to have the information. 

4 minutes ago, weams said:

We will have to catch up for a minor league game or two. 

It’s been a very long time for me.   Last one I remember was 2008 while Wieters and Brandon Snyder were still on the Frederick Keys.    Went to a doubleheader.    Brandon Erbe pitched one of the games.    

As you may have read on the MiL board, I’m trying to drum up an unofficial “Hangout Night” at a minor league game this Spring.   I’m thinking about Bowie vs. Akron on May 5.    It’s a Saturday 6:30 game on a night when the O’s are away in Oakland and not playing until 9 pm, so it would be possible to see the Baysox and still catch most of the Orioles’ game that night on TV.   Anyone who’s interested, reply here:  http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29522-anybody-interested-in-an-unofficial-hangout-night-in-bowie/&page=3

• 2 weeks later...

Archived