Least attractive franchises to sign a long-term deal with now?

Frobby

7 minutes ago, weams said:

When you have two starters, you are by definition rebuilding. Not stocking prospects. Rebuilding a team. Because it is shot. 

This just isn’t true. The orioles are neither rebuilding nor retooling. Being a poorly constructed, bloated major league roster without enough MLB talent and a nearly empty farm team does not point towards rebuild. A losing franchise yes but not a rebuilding one. When you have two starters you have a failed front office and zero leadership or vision. Does not equal rebuild.  

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, MikeAD said:

This just isn’t true. The orioles are neither rebuilding nor retooling. Being a poorly constructed, bloated major league roster without enough MLB talent and a nearly empty farm team does not point towards rebuild. A losing franchise yes but not a rebuilding one. When you have two starters you have a failed front office and zero leadership or vision. Does not equal rebuild.  

Sure it is. This is like one of those dumb Ace, Number 1. Have a take arguments. 

1 minute ago, MikeAD said:

I never said one thing about anything being good. Or better. Just being rebuilt. 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Sure it is. This is like one of those dumb Ace, Number 1. Have a take arguments. 

Huh?  Doesn’t rebuilding mean you trade the players on your team who will net younger players while making every realistic move to load up on as many young players as possible in the hopes that some make it to the majors and “rebuild” your team?  We have a depleted system and haven’t traded a player for value in ages. The players we have traded for have been “win now” at best but usually “never win” and never through the lens of what the team will look like even one year down the road.  We make moves like we are a contender despite the lack of talent, depth and budget (not to mention win loss record ). A rebuilding team does not do those things.  This isn’t semantics.  Rebuilding does not mean sucks. The orioles sucked for a long time and were never rebuilding. Not until the macphail years. 

2 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

Huh?  Doesn’t rebuilding mean you trade the players on your team who will net younger players while making every realistic move to load up on as many young players as possible in the hopes that some make it to the majors and “rebuild” your team?  We have a depleted system and haven’t traded a player for value in ages. The players we have traded for have been “win now” at best but usually “never win” and never through the lens of what the team will look like even one year down the road.  We make moves like we are a contender despite the lack of talent, depth and budget (not to mention win loss record ). A rebuilding team does not do those things.  This isn’t semantics.  Rebuilding does not mean sucks. The orioles sucked for a long time and were never rebuilding. Not until the macphail years. 

Until I see the Orioles start overpaying for aging mediocre players like they did pre-MacPhail, I'll stick to my guns. Ciao.

10 hours ago, pastorfan said:

Factoring in the state of the franchise along with taxes, perceived safety and such, I'm sure Baltimore would be near the bottom for many guys. 

New York and California have much higher taxes than MD but the Yankees and Dodgers have no problem signing free agents..

I would say Baltimore is in the top 10.

In no specific order:

Cincinatti

Milwaukee

San Diego (but as mentioned...you're in San Diego)

Oakland

Miami

Those are the easiest ones.  I'd say Baltimore sits above these pretty comfortably.

Then you've got:

White Sox 

Mets

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

...Baltimore? 

Archived