Dan talking "offers and physicals" with a RF target

interloper

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Even if I thought he would still be a productive player for the next four-five years I wouldn't be interested in signing him for that length of time.

Don’t even scare me with the 4-5 year talk. I wouldn’t want him at 2/20.

7 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

In the meantime, the Blue Jays acquired Randal Grichuk.

Under control through 2020.

Sad we missed out on this opportunity. He complained a few days ago about being the 4th outfielder on the team and the Blue Jays struck while the iron was hot (and got him relatively cheap). Still relatively young too (26). He struggled against lefties last year, but in prior seasons he was pretty consistent against lefties and righties (at least batting average wise). He has a ton of power. Probably a lock for 30 hrs if plays regularly. 

Why can't the Orioles make moves like this? We isn't this team ever poised to react quickly? 

58 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Britton was out most of last year.

It would be hard for whoever we put in the 3/4/5 spots to be worse than Ubaldo, Miley, Gallardo, and H ellickson.

I expect Manny to improve on last year.   Some other guys may regress.

I agree with your main point, we are not likely to contend with the roster we have right now.   But I don't see us getting any worse because most of the guys we have lost were SO bad.

I just strongly disagree but thats fine.  We had actual Major League Baseball pitchers going into last season even though most were terrible.  Nobody expected Tillman to be so bad.  We have two right now...TWO!!!  And both have injury histories and are not necessarily a short thing.  So yes maybe the 3 we find to fill those last 3 spots aren't worse than Hellickson, Ubaldo etc but the bullpen is going to be gassed by May and there will be many games where we are down a ten spot by the 3rd inning and even the Yankees offense couldn't catch up.  I actually think the offense will be more or less the same, all things considered but we might just set records for runs and home runs allowed.  

Just now, MikeAD said:

I just strongly disagree but thats fine.  We had actual Major League Baseball pitchers going into last season even though most were terrible.  Nobody expected Tillman to be so bad.  We have two right now...TWO!!!  And both have injury histories and are not necessarily a short thing.  So yes maybe the 3 we find to fill those last 3 spots aren't worse than Hellickson, Ubaldo etc but the bullpen is going to be gassed by May and there will be many games where we are down a ten spot by the 3rd inning and even the Yankees offense couldn't catch up.  I actually think the offense will be more or less the same, all things considered but we might just set records for runs and home runs allowed.  

Bundy is a short thing but Gausman is 6'3".  ;)

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Why do you think we will be so much worse than last year?

I think the way the club finished the season (7-21 in Sept./Oct.) really soured a lot of fans, me included.   It felt like they might never win another game, and it’s natural to worry that things could be worse this year.   I could add, the team actually outperformed its Pythagorean record by 3 games, and scored more runs than it theoretically “should have” because the offense had good RISP numbers.    So, it’s not too hard to see this as a 70ish wIn team, unless they make some upgrades.   

Santander has the range and arm for right and is a switch hitter who has a more natural swing from the left (slightly more power right, but not much.)

Stewart is a lefty with power and speed,  but doesn't have the arm, range, or technique for right. His defense as far as routes go are still very sloppy. Would be useful in a pinch hitter/runner role if they don't want him in left.

Jones can go to right and Hays can patrol center for a year (or half a year) until Mullins is ready. An outfield with Hays and Mullins isn't letting much drop and Santander, Mancini, or Stewart in left is a big power threat from all 3. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

LOL, what's wrong with the system is that it allows players like Chris Davis to make 23 million a year, sucking the life out of a franchise and a fanbase and there is no recourse. Perhaps the players union should be made to maintain disaster insurance that pays out to the ownership when a player so absolutely under-performs his contract. Than perhaps teams would be more willing to take a chance on the latest batch of free agents.

Archived