Who’s our GM & Manager Next Year?

Rene88

On October 10, 2013 Girardi signed a four-year deal worth $16 million to remain as manager of the New York Yankees. It will probably take the same amount or more to get him to join the Orioles. The same year - 2013 - Showalter signed an extension that would put him in the top quarter of big-league managers, at an annual value that’s somewhat less than $3 million per season over the length of the deal, according to the source. He previously made approximately $1.5 million per season.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I think its nonsense to assume that you know the reasons behind a player's ( a player you've never had a conversation with) decisions.  As far as throwing out the first pitch, his heart is absolutely connected with that WS team.  That was history.  I didn't take that personally as an O's fan when it happened.  I can't say I wouldn't of done the same thing.  I think he would of thrown out the first pitch if he were with the Giants, A's, Blue Jay's, even the Yankees.  Braves fans didn't spit on Markakis when he tipped his cap to O's fans as a Brave.  I think both are examples of how fans show respect to former players who were important to their history.  

As far as Millar becoming an O because the Red Sox didn't want him anymore; that's what mediocre veteran baseball players do.  They go play for the O's.  Its an example of Boston being a smarter club and knowing when to let players go at the right time.  Millar seems fairly humble, and he probably wouldn't of resigned himself either if he were in Epstein's shoes.   Hypothetically though, lets say the O's won the 2008 WS and Millar was a big part and the next season he went and played for another team. I think he'd come back and throw out a first pitch if we were in the playoffs in 2009.

Another example of why I like Millar.  I remember he single handily taught the O's lineup how to beat knuckleball pitchers.  "If its coming in high, let it fly, if its coming in low, let it go."  He mashed knucklers.

You are kidding about the knuckleball thing right?  I heard that "advice" thirty years ago.

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are kidding about the knuckleball thing right?  I heard that "advice" thirty years ago.

O's seemed to be fairly terrible at hitting knucklers leading up to the seasons Millar was here.  I remember him being overly vocal about it and players responding about how his advice led to their success in hitting knucklers that year.

10 hours ago, section18 said:

Let's get back on topic if we can.  Who would be the best choice to be the next Oriole manager? IF that decision has to be made, I would favor a latino coach player from another organization.

A former catcher or pitcher ?  Either one would probably help us at this point in time. Yes, we could use either. Lol.

Someone with experience or someone new to managing? One or the other. I would prefer without if there is a GM actually picking.

I think we need someone with experience and if he was with NY or Boston that's okay.  Someone who as been on a winning team before. Like Lee Mazzilli???

Will help us sell tickets. 

If he's interested I think Joe Girardi is the guy. He knows the players in the game and knows most of the Oriole players already from ml and ST games. He can clean up our bullpen and defensive woes and help our current or new GM make the needed trade of Manny probably to his former team in NY.  He knows the current Yankee players and their minor league system and could help us pull off a major trade that would help our team for years to come.  Would he like to get back at his former team for letting him go ? Absolutely !! Let's do it !

Buck has lost his shining light with the team and the fans and it's time for a change.

Joe Girardi should be the next Orioles manager and can keep this ship from sinking. He has star power and will have immediate respect of the players, media and fans.

I am not in favor generally of naming a new manager until there is a GM with the authority to do so.  Otherwise...so what.  And, regarding Girardi, who may well end up being the next manager in Baltimore...If he couldnt succeed in the best market, with the most money and the ability to have any need provided, why would you expect him to be successful here?  Because he would have a better working relationship with Brady? Better relationship with whoever the GM is?

First move, before firing manager, before cutting or trading players is to have a GM....with authority.  Just my opinion....

• 2 months later...

This would be my ideal scenario. I love Girardi and Mark Viviano posted a quote from Girardi speaking favorably about Buck to add dmfuel to the fire (see below).

What does everyone think will happen with Buck? Let go or moved to a FO role? I honestly don’t know and haven’t heard any rumors that I truly believe as of yet.

I love Girardi and was shocked when he was let go. I would gladly take him!

From Mark V last night:

Interesting convo on @MLBNetwork. Joe Girardi responds to opinion that he & Showalter don’t get along: “That’s the O’s & Yankees- that goes back for years. We get along really well. We’re on committees together. I think he’s a brilliant manager.”

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Girardi already turned down the O's manager gig once.

Going by what I have heard, I don't want Buck as GM.

I know he turned it down but he is also out of work and he’s good. 

I don’t disagree necessarily about Buck but if it got us a proper chain of command...I think it might be worth it...assuming it would hold after he left. 

16 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

This would be my ideal scenario. I love Girardi and Mark Viviano posted a quote from Girardi speaking favorably about Buck to add dmfuel to the fire (see below).

What does everyone think will happen with Buck? Let go or moved to a FO role? I honestly don’t know and haven’t heard any rumors that I truly believe as of yet.

I love Girardi and was shocked when he was let go. I would gladly take him!

From Mark V last night:

Interesting convo on @MLBNetwork. Joe Girardi responds to opinion that he & Showalter don’t get along: “That’s the O’s & Yankees- that goes back for years. We get along really well. We’re on committees together. I think he’s a brilliant manager.”

No and no. It's time to move on from Buck, not give him more power. 

Archived