Who’s our GM & Manager Next Year?

Rene88

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

This would be my ideal scenario. I love Girardi and Mark Viviano posted a quote from Girardi speaking favorably about Buck to add dmfuel to the fire (see below).

What does everyone think will happen with Buck? Let go or moved to a FO role? I honestly don’t know and haven’t heard any rumors that I truly believe as of yet.

I love Girardi and was shocked when he was let go. I would gladly take him!

From Mark V last night:

Interesting convo on @MLBNetwork. Joe Girardi responds to opinion that he & Showalter don’t get along: “That’s the O’s & Yankees- that goes back for years. We get along really well. We’re on committees together. I think he’s a brilliant manager.”

First off I don't think Girardi would want to work for Angelos. I don't mind Girardi and I like Buck but I just think so many O's fans are ready for a change. And many hate anything Yankee and Girardi. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

Well, you know that's a fact. John Russell is probably the next manager no matter what. 

I only see Russell as an option if Buck is released during the season and Russell is named interim.  Or, Buck is promoted to GM.  How about going young?  Buck Britton, Ryan Minor...  Or promoting a deserving veteran manager from within, Johnson?  Just spit ballin'.

7 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I only see Russell as an option if Buck is released during the season and Russell is named interim.  Or, Buck is promoted to GM.  How about going young?  Buck Britton, Ryan Minor...  Or promoting a deserving veteran manager from within, Johnson?  Just spit ballin'.

Going young? Russell is only in his 50's. That's young to me.

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I'm going to say no to both. I want a young analytics GM hired and pick his staff. No more retreads please.

I do too.  Here is the problem.  That guy was DiPoto.  They offered him a job but he declined.  He wasn't going to get the freedom he wanted here.  So he goes to the Angel's where he has a less but still onerous owner in Moreno. But his real problem, an entrenched old school championship winning manager, set in his ways and playing his roster his way.  

So after a few years DiPoto moved on the Seattle.  Hands off ownership.  Ability to hire his own manager.  10,000 trades later.  He has one of the better young rosters in the game.

I want that kind of GM too, but they do things differently than the establishment, and I just don't think that works here with the current ownership.

Archived