What if Mullins shows he is ready for the majors in ST?

wildcard

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. METS, 3/18) ))) [Spring Training]

With the Orioles trailing by a score of 4-0, Mullins led off the 3rd inning with a bunt single, and then stole 2nd base.

He came around to score the Orioles' first run of the game on an RBI-single by Chris Davis.

o

This kid really makes things happen out there! #meatloaf

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. METS, 3/18) ))) [Spring Training]

With the Orioles trailing by a score of 4-0, Mullins led off the 3rd inning with a bunt single, and then stole 2nd base.

He came around to score the Orioles' first run of the game on an RBI-single by Chris Davis.

o

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

He also singled in the 7th, and stole another base.

He is FAST !!!

o

The Orioles have not had many base bandits in recent history.

I was at the game in which these Nate McLouth jerseys were given out for free, in 2013. It was one of the Orioles Hangout games.

For some reason, I was given 2 of them by the ushers. I gave both of mine away to people who had gotten to the game late, and had missed out on them.

Image result for Nate McLouth Base Bandit

o

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I'd love for him to be a full time player. He is probably the best defensive outfielder in the Orioles system right now.

I just hope this season he can show that last spring and the beginning of the year weren't a fluke with the bat.

But, worse case scenario...

I think Hays is a better rightfielder than Mullins is a centerfielder.    Mullins has a weak arm.   Hays has a strong arm.

28 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Hays is a better rightfielder than Mullins is a centerfielder.    Mullins has a weak arm.   Hays has a strong arm.

Hays has the stronger arm. Mullins has much better speed and gets a better read off the bat. Mullins can get to the balls in the gap.

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Mullins’ arm looks adequate.    I’d rather have a CF who gets to the balls in the gaps than one who makes a nice throw after letting balls drop in.    And I don’t need to have a contest as to whether Hays is a better RF than Mullins is a CF.   I’m looking forward to having both of them out there.    

4 hours ago, jabba72 said:

I think Jones resigns for another 2 years. The corner OF competition going forward looks really tough, so if he shows he belongs in the majors he'll need to unseat Jones.   

I think Jones is going to bolt to a perennial playoff team. Like the Nats, Dodgers, Astros, Yankees or Sox. Whoever has an opening. 

40 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think Jones is going to bolt to a perennial playoff team. Like the Nats, Dodgers, Astros, Yankees or Sox. Whoever has an opening. 

I think bolt isn't the word to use here. I'd expect he will return if the Orioles pay him, I doubt he'll take a hometown discount though, not without some organizational direction.

7 hours ago, jabba72 said:

I think Jones resigns for another 2 years. The corner OF competition going forward looks really tough, so if he shows he belongs in the majors he'll need to unseat Jones.   

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I think bolt isn't the word to use here. I'd expect he will return if the Orioles pay him, I doubt he'll take a hometown discount though, not without some organizational direction.

It's going to be interesting.  If the Orioles somehow remain in contention through the entirety of the season, and offer Jones a 2 or 3 year deal for close to what he's making now, he'd be foolish to turn it down based on what happened with this year's market.  For that matter, if they O's make him a qualifying offer, he's liable to accept that.  Manny will obviously turn it down, but Brach, Britton, and Jones will all be interesting cases.

I'd be fine with Jones coming back on a deal that pretty much makes him an Oriole for the rest of his career, assuming that he and Mullins and Hays are the OF and Jones is in a corner spot, and Mancini is your 1BH or DH, which obviously means something needs to happen with Davis or Trumbo.  I think the way the market was bad for older FA's this winter definitely makes it more likely that Jones returns.  Manny is gone, and I could see them possibly retaining one of Brach or Britton, in particular Britton if he has a good but not great 2nd half upon his return.

And to clarify, what I mean by interesting cases is 1) whether the O's offer the QO to them 2) whether they accept, and 3) if they turn it down, how it effects their value on the open market.

Archived