If Mussina gets the HOF nod tonight...

SteveA

I hope he gets like 74.6% percent of the vote.  Wait another year, Mike.

While the grown up, (slightly) more rational Moose Milligan understands the dynamics of why he left, the 19 year old Moose still holds a grudge.  Could have gone anywhere, he went to the Yankees.  And that wiped away any bit of being a Mussina fan for me.  There's a lot of schadenfreude in him not winning a World Series there, only to win one the year after he retired.

I don't see how the HoF is particularly better with him in it, then again Jack Morris just got in.  But Morris has four rings and authored one of the most memorable World Series moments ever.   

I guess Dave Steib is next.  

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, interloper said:

MLB might care about that if he didn't end up a Yankee. As such, I think they'll care about the Yankee part more. I'm sure he does.

The Hall of Fame isn't part of MLB.  They are a separate entity.  My feeling is if it is close and it isn't a situation like Carter and the Expos, they let the player decide.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

While the grown up, (slightly) more rational Moose Milligan understands the dynamics of why he left, the 19 year old Moose still holds a grudge.  Could have gone anywhere, he went to the Yankees.  And that wiped away any bit of being a Mussina fan for me.  There's a lot of schadenfreude in him not winning a World Series there, only to win one the year after he retired.

I don't see how the HoF is particularly better with him in it, then again Jack Morris just got in.  But Morris has four rings and authored one of the most memorable World Series moments ever.   

I'd put Steib in before Morris.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

But, look at it from his side.

Peter says, Mike we love you, sign me a 1 year team friendly team, and next year, we will do right for you. MLB Players read the riot act at Mike for doing such.

Next season came around, and Peter did not do him right.

So how the fork is that Mussina's fault?

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Hall of Fame isn't part of MLB.  They are a separate entity.  My feeling is if it is close and it isn't a situation like Carter and the Expos, they let the player decide.

Found this on the HOF wiki:

The Hall selects the logo "based on where that player makes his most indelible mark."[29]

Although the Hall always made the final decision on which logo was shown, until 2001 the Hall deferred to the wishes of players or managers whose careers were linked with multiple teams. Some examples of inductees associated with multiple teams are the following:

27 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Your namesake is the exception, as he was an Oriole for only 6 out of his 19 prime years in the Majors (1956-1974.)

o

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

And he deserves every bit of it.   

o

Yes, he does.

o

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gotcha. It would be pretty wild to have him go as an O and get the statements from the Warehouse. 

9 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Im pretty sure MLB has the final say on what team, the player goes in as.

Really?   Because the HOF is independently run, and not part of MLB hierarchy.   (They voluntarily follow MLB's bans so they will not admit Pete Rose because he is banned from baseball, but that is a voluntary choice they make).

I'd be really surprised if MLB has any way in what hat a guy goes in with.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Really?   Because the HOF is independently run, and not part of MLB hierarchy.   (They voluntarily follow MLB's bans so they will not admit Pete Rose because he is banned from baseball, but that is a voluntary choice they make).

I'd be really surprised if MLB has any way in what hat a guy goes in with.

And if I had read the whole thread before replying I would have seen that Can and others covered this.   Sorry.

Archived