Will Flaherty be back?

wildcard

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Beckman is better at SS than he is at 3rd, leave Schop alone at 2nd.

IMO

Preaching to the Choir Rick....I agree, but Roch says he believes Manny at SS, Schoop at Second and wait for it.....I don't know at third.  With Beckham being a super utility OF/IF...maybe a Moustakas at third?

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

Goins signed with the Royals yesterday.    Tejada, Sardines and Salcedo are all signed to minor league contracts with the O's.   But is Flaherty better than all of the them?   Will he be signed a the UIF?

We Buck was asked recently asked who is wanted in the UIF spot his answer was someone like Ryan Flaherty.   There is no one more like Flaherty than Flaherty.

Wee Buck? The Gnome?

4 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Preaching to the Choir Rick....I agree, but Roch says he believes Manny at SS, Schoop at Second and wait for it.....I don't know at third.  With Beckham being a super utility OF/IF...maybe a Moustakas at third?

I dont see it, but, Ive been wrong before.

I think they can get the same or similar production out of a cheaper player, probably with options, so probably not.  Only way I see him coming back is if he gets no major league offers and comes back on a minor league deal, because he's a favorite of Buck.  What's the Major League minimum salary these days?  That's all Flaherty is worth, IMO.

1 minute ago, esmd said:

I think they can get the same or similar production out of a cheaper player, probably with options, so probably not.  Only way I see him coming back is if he gets no major league offers and comes back on a minor league deal, because he's a favorite of Buck.  What's the Major League minimum salary these days?  That's all Flaherty is worth, IMO.

There are not that many people around that can play at the major league level and be a backup for a variety of positions.

Flaherty played above a replacement level when playing regularly, like when Manny went down.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

He only made 1.8 million last year.

I am not advocating a big pay raise, but in that current range, is fine, for what he is able to do.

IF, he is healthy.

I'm not sure we should be paying $2m-$3m for a guy that has tallied a 74 OPS+ over his entire career and has seen it drop every year since 2013:

• 2013: 85
  • 2014: 80
  • 2015: 73
  • 2016: 64
  • 2017: 50

He'll be 31. He's put up a collective 1.7 WAR over his 6 seasons with the Orioles.

Time to move on.

Archived