Thoughts on Manny @ SS and Beckham @ 3B ??

alaniee

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You still arn't getting two young stud starting pitchers.

And that's why they will end up with a pick.

If the O's aren't competing this year and in a position to trade Machado at the deadline - then the window will be shut. They'll take the best trade package they can get.

This offseason, they set their price of two young starting pitchers because they were also okay keeping Machado in 2018. If Machado gets traded this year, it'll be under a different set of circumstances.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, theocean said:

If the O's aren't competing this year and in a position to trade Machado at the deadline - then the window will be shut. They'll take the best trade package they can get.

This offseason, they set their price of two young starting pitchers because they were also okay keeping Machado in 2018. If Machado gets traded this year, it'll be under a different set of circumstances.

You think ownership will sign off on the best package they can get?

I don't.

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Chapman brought back one pitcher and he wasn't a starter.

Chapman brought back Gleyber Torres, Adam Warren, Billy McKinney, and Rashad Crawford. That's an elite return. I'm sure they could have gotten a starter if they wanted...

1 hour ago, theocean said:

Buck's definition of not competing is 10 games out of the wildcard race on September 1.

20 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Buck's definition of not competing is 10 games out of the wildcard race on September 1.

What do you want him to say, "We suck. Don't bother coming to the ballpark?"

On July 31, 2017 - the O's were 4.5 games out of the Wild Card. So were the Minnesota Twins, who ended up making the Wild Card Game.

I struggle to understand the limitless pessimism on this board. It's not even based in fact.

50 minutes ago, theocean said:

Chapman brought back Gleyber Torres, Adam Warren, Billy McKinney, and Rashad Crawford. That's an elite return. I'm sure they could have gotten a starter if they wanted...

How many teams have two young stud starting pitchers to spare?

19 minutes ago, theocean said:

On July 31, 2017 - the O's were 4.5 games out of the Wild Card. So were the Minnesota Twins, who ended up making the Wild Card Game.

I struggle to understand the limitless pessimism on this board. It's not even based in fact.

Eh, with six teams in front of them. Not good odds.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Eh, with six teams in front of them. Not good odds.

Only the Royals, Mariners, and Rays were in front of the O's in the standings for the Second Wild Card on July 31st. That's three teams that quite frankly were not very intimidating.

What's the point of being a sports fan if you don't want to see your team try to win?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How many teams have two young stud starting pitchers to spare?

Arizona Diamondbacks: Jon Duplantier, Taylor Widener

Boston Red Sox: Jay Roome, Tanner Houck

Colorado Rockies: Riley Pint, Peter Lambert

Houston Astros: Forrest Whitley, JB Bukauskas

LA Dodgers; Walker Buehler, Mitchell White

Milwaukee Brewers: Corbin Burnes, Brandon Woodruff

Minnesota Twins: Fernando Romero, Stephen Gonsalves

New York Yankees: Albert Abreu, Chance Adams

Philadelphia Phillies: Sixto Sanchez, Adonis Medina

New York Yankees: Justus Sheffield, Albert Abreu, Chance Adams

St. Louis Cardinals: Alex Reyes, Jack Flaherty

And again, I wouldn't take the "two young stud starting pitchers" as gospel.

5 minutes ago, theocean said:

Only the Royals, Mariners, and Rays were in front of the O's in the standings for the Second Wild Card on July 31st.

Right. Two weeks later they were behind six teams. New York, Tampa Bay, KC, Minnesota, Angels and Seattle.

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Right. Two weeks later they were behind six teams. New York, Tampa Bay, KC, Minnesota, Angels and Seattle.

Two weeks later would be August 14th. They were 2.0 games out of the second Wild Card at that point.

On September 6th - they were 1.0 game out of the second Wild Card spot with a 71-68 record. They imploded at that point, but I don't think it is fair to say in hindsight that the O's deciding to go for it on July 31st when they had their entire team under contract for another year was insane.

54 minutes ago, theocean said:

Stop struggling, it doesn't do any good.  The fear of looking "stupid" to strangers on the internet is a mighty, mighty force.  Compelling - awesome in the biblical sense even.

47 minutes ago, theocean said:

Arizona Diamondbacks: Jon Duplantier, Taylor Widener

Boston Red Sox: Jay Roome, Tanner Houck

Colorado Rockies: Riley Pint, Peter Lambert

Houston Astros: Forrest Whitley, JB Bukauskas

LA Dodgers; Walker Buehler, Mitchell White

Milwaukee Brewers: Corbin Burnes, Brandon Woodruff

Minnesota Twins: Fernando Romero, Stephen Gonsalves

New York Yankees: Albert Abreu, Chance Adams

Philadelphia Phillies: Sixto Sanchez, Adonis Medina

New York Yankees: Justus Sheffield, Albert Abreu, Chance Adams

St. Louis Cardinals: Alex Reyes, Jack Flaherty

And again, I wouldn't take the "two young stud starting pitchers" as gospel.

Nice list but I honestly don't see a team giving up two starting arms for a few months of Machado.  It would be a stupendous overpay.

Archived