Tim Beckham is saying and doing all the right things

Frobby

On 3/1/2018 at 11:02 PM, Il BuonO said:

I wouldn’t be so sure about Buck, but not a bad point. I’m really hoping they just go nuts and pay Machado. Then, he can stay there for as long as he’s an Oriole.

I won’t hold my breath though.

From everything I've heard, the general philosophy on Manny is that he isn't gone until he's gone. Some team is going to offer him $300 million this offseason, it's difficult for the O's to match that. But, he isn't gone until he's gone. Anything can happen.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, theocean said:

From everything I've heard, the general philosophy on Manny is that he isn't gone until he's gone. Some team is going to offer him $300 million this offseason, it's difficult for the O's to match that. But, he isn't gone until he's gone. Anything can happen.

Now's the time when all things seem possible.  I was against the switch between Manny and Beckham, but it shows Manny that the O's organization thinks he's special, and I'm okay with that if it gives them a chance to keep him.  A motivated and happy Manny is a special player.  

I think that they believe that this team, with these players, is better with Manny at short.  It's as simple as that. 

And, while they don't want to pay for any of Arrietta, Lynn, or Cobb the kind of money they want for the years that they want, management does want to win as many games as possible with the players on the team now.  Having said that, if they could get either of Lynn or Cobb on the kind of deal they gave Cashner, most likely for more money but the same type of structure, that deal would be done.

5 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I think that they believe that this team, with these players, is better with Manny at short.  It's as simple as that. 

And, while they don't want to pay for any of Arrietta, Lynn, or Cobb the kind of money they want for the years that they want, management does want to win as many games as possible with the players on the team now.  Having said that, if they could get either of Lynn or Cobb on the kind of deal they gave Cashner, most likely for more money but the same type of structure, that deal would be done.

Yes, yes, this team is better with Manny at short and Tim at third. Then when Manny leaves they will move Tim back to short. No doubt the move was made because they thought this made them a better team this year. Just like signing Davis made them better two years ago and signing Trumbo made them better last year. 

13 hours ago, theocean said:

Money committed to significant contracts for the next 10 years - 

2019 - 49m

2020 - 17m

2021 - 17m

2022 - 17m

2023 - 0

2024 - 0

2025 - 0

2026 - 0

2027 - 0

2028 - 0

I'm sure we could find a way....somehow......to squeeze a generational HOF talent for 30m in there. I mean I know it will be tight, but maybe...just maybe we could pull it off. 

4 hours ago, TradeAngelos said:

Money committed to significant contracts for the next 10 years - 

2019 - 49m

2020 - 17m

2021 - 17m

2022 - 17m

2023 - 0

2024 - 0

2025 - 0

2026 - 0

2027 - 0

2028 - 0

I'm sure we could find a way....somehow......to squeeze a generational HOF talent for 30m in there. I mean I know it will be tight, but maybe...just maybe we could pull it off. 

You really should include all the deferred monies that will be due over that time period.

Nice Buck quote today:

“You know what Timmy likes? Timmy likes to play,” Showalter said. “Not once has he (complained) about making a road trip or doing anything. He said, ‘What are we here for.’ I was back there with him today, we let him have a day (off), and I said, ‘Beck, what are you going to do with yourself?’ He said, ‘Man, I wanted to play.’ He likes to play.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/03/notes-on-trumbo-rule-5s-mountcastle-and-more.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2018 at 2:39 PM, Ruzious said:

Now's the time when all things seem possible.  I was against the switch between Manny and Beckham, but it shows Manny that the O's organization thinks he's special, and I'm okay with that if it gives them a chance to keep him.  A motivated and happy Manny is a special player.  

I'm not for the switch. If Manny was a team player he'd stay at 3rd and Tim stays at SS. 

26 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I'm not for the switch. If Manny was a team player he'd stay at 3rd and Tim stays at SS. 

Wasn't he being a team player by playing 3B while Hardy stayed at SS with clearly diminished skills?  

Maybe being closer to Schoop will make him want to stay :D

32 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

You know there is actually a chance that this move ends up being better for the team. It certainly hasn’t looked bad in spring training. 

• 3 months later...

o

He's back.

BALTIMORE O RIOLES )))))))) (vs. MARINERS, 6/25)

Colby Rasmus - RF

Adam Jones - CF

Manny Machado - SS

Mark Trumbo - DH

Chris Davis - 1B

Trey Mancini - LF

Jonathan Schoop - 2B

TIMOTHLAMAR BECKHA3B

Caleb Martin Joseph - C

Andrew Burton Cashner - RHP ) (2-8, 4.72 ERA)

OPPOSING PITCHER

Pending

Felix Abraham Hernandez Garcia - RHP ) (6-6, 5.14 ERA) ) *

* )) Leads the Major Leagues in Games Started (16)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

o

Archived