O's utility infielder no longer needs to play SS

wildcard

2 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

And they shouldn't have moved Beckham just to placate Manny. This not a way to run an organization. This is just flat rediculous. 

Why do you think it was just to placate Manny? What evidence do you have besides your imagination?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Beckman is at 3.3m, so if Flaherty was at 2.8m and that too much money for UINF, how is more okay?

I don’t think Beckham is a utility player, but Beckham is a much better player than Flaherty, so yeah he’s worth a lot more than 3.3m.

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

You're still not making sense. Using your own words you're saying that, Buck "IS" willing to weaken their defense this season (by moving Manny to SS) so they'll have more position flexibility with their utility slot. Yeah, that makes perfect sense (heavy eye roll). 

Buck is willing to move Manny to SS because Manny requested to move to SS.  Buck wants a happy player.   He doesn't want to deny Manny what he wants in his last year with the O's.   Its not about putting the best defense on the field.  If it was about that Manny would still be at 3rd.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Buck is willing to move Manny to SS because Manny requested to move to SS.  Buck wants a happy player.   He doesn't want to deny Manny what he wants in his last year with the O's.   Its not about putting the best defense on the field.  If it was about that Manny would still be at 3rd.

So you want to blame Buck for being willing to try this. I dont set where its set in rock hard stone, to undo, if its not working,

Just now, wildcard said:

This notion is not how Buck works. He moved Manny to SS because he thinks SS is the most important IF position, and Manny is the best SS in the organizaion. If he didn't  believe that he would have kept him at 3B.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

So you want to blame Buck for being willing to try this. I dont set where its set in rock hard stone, to undo, if its not working,

I am not blaming Buck for anything.  This is the decision that Buck and Dan have made.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Even if Moustakas' price comes down the O's shouldn't be spending money on him.   Dan says he is going to sign a starter by March 1st.   I also expect that Dan will be watching which teams may have a young starters push out older ones right as the season starts.   Dan will need to have some money available for that.    Of course Dan will be watching the waiver wire as well but that should not cost much.

I never said they should. All I said was don't underestimate the O's trying to justify a deal. 

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

This notion is not how Buck works. He moved Manny to SS because he thinks SS is the most important IF position, and Manny is the best SS in the organizaion. If he didn't  believe that he would have kept him at 3B.

You are entitled to your opinion.  I think if Manny had not requested  the move to SS he would still be at 3rd. That is the way they played in the 2nd half of last year.

2 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

If he had a good SS like Janish. 9_9 Don't be so literal. There are plenty of UTIF SS that are better fielders  than Beckham.

Not with the O's.   Tejada? Sardinas? Flaherty? Salcedo?   I can't comment on Veilma.  I have never seen him play.

Just now, wildcard said:

You are entitled to your opinion.  I think if Manny had not requested  the move to SS he would still be at 3rd. That is the way they played in the 2nd half of last year.

Thanks for patronizing me. Buck would not have moved Manny to SS if he hadn't expressed his desire to play there. He wouldn't have forced him to play a position he didn't want to play. But he also wouldn't have played Manny there if he thought it weakened the IF.

Archived