Orioles and Ravens in similiar scenarios regarding Manager & GM ??

alaniee

Are the Baltimore Orioles & Ravens in similiar scenarios??

Pretty much if the Ravens miss the playoffs again next year, Harbaugh will not be around. GM Ozzie Newsome has already announced his retirement after next season.

If the Orioles fail to make the playoffs again.... Will Buck's contract be renewed? I doubt it.  GM Dan Duquette, what's his contract? Up after the season? If not, will he be fired if the O's miss the playoffs?

Pretty sad for Baltimore right now....

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, alaniee said:

Pretty much if the Ravens miss the playoffs again next year, Harbaugh will not be around. GM Ozzie Newsome has already announced his retirement after next season.

If the Orioles fail to make the playoffs again.... Will Buck's contract be renewed? I doubt it.  GM Dan Duquette, what's his contract? Up after the season? If not, will he be fired if the O's miss the playoffs?

Thoughts?

Have no idea. 

1 hour ago, alaniee said:

Thoughts?

Harbaugh sounded pretty comfortable around the Super Bowl pregame TV roundtable.   I think that change is inevitable for the Orioles.  

7 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Harbaugh sounded pretty comfortable around the Super Bowl pregame TV roundtable.   I think that change is inevitable for the Orioles.  

Lots of folks act like it is inevitable Buck stays.  Would you want to stay if they finish last two years in a row?

If I'm Buck I head right back up to the studio.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Lots of folks act like it is inevitable Buck stays.  Would you want to stay if they finish last two years in a row?

If I'm Buck I head right back up to the studio.

Buck certainly well may do so.  Dan is likely gone too, I would imagine under the OP scenario.   Although a change at the ownership level would suddenly change all that calculus as well.   

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Not similar at all, Eric DeCosta the assistant GM is taking over the reins.  Ozzie is going to remain with the Ravens as a special consultant.  Ravens have been disappointing on the field, but their front office/coaching situation is in a better place.  

I disagree.   The Ravens front office is a mess.  Ozzie should just quit now.    DeCosta will be a failure.   The Ravens lost all their best scouts to the Eagles and have no idea whom to draft.   While the Orioles drafting right now looks pretty  solid. 

Right now, I don't see a whole lot of difference between the two. I like Ozzie (don't hate DD), I think Harbaugh and Buck are good men, represent the sport and the city well, but are very conservative in their approach to their games. I also believe that players get too comfortable hearing the drone of the same voices year after year. Harbaugh would have been happy to take the 3 points at the end of the first half. Buck would not PH Davis in a tight spot, even after K'ing three times in his previous AB"s. It all leads to ho-hum, predictable, same old defendable outcomes no matter what the outcome is.

10 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

John Harbaugh has won a Super Bowl, Buck will never win a World Series (or even get to one)

That is indeed true. But as a former Cleveland Browns fan, I think Modell had more impact on the Super Bowl wins than the current Raven's owner.

13 hours ago, alaniee said:

Thoughts?

The Ravens have a successor in DeCosta who has been groomed and protected from pillaging for five years. Newsome will still be with he organization likely promoted upstairs.

Harbaugh could be on the hot seat ...but it's not really likely as Bisciotti prefers continuity.

The Ravens have a plan, the do need to draft better. They identify players in free agency and go get them.

they spend to the cap and don't have stupid internal rules that allow them to avoid going after players that they need to fill positions. (Contracts limited to free agent SPs, international scouting, etc)

The two organizations are not close.

So

Archived