Roch: "I've been a cool jerk Looking for the source I'm a dark horse'"

weams

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/02/choosing-this-years-spring-training-dark-horse-candidate.html

Lefties, Lefties and more Lefties.

Manager Buck Showalter had a chance to meet Rodríguez and watch him throw at last month’s minicamp. It certainly won’t hurt his chances.

Rodríguez posted a 5.40 ERA and 1.745 WHIP in 38 relief appearances with the Phillies, but those numbers are inflated by his 6.33 ERA and 1.926 WHIP in 26 games last summer. He possesses a mid-90s fastball and a heavy sinker and slider. For the Orioles, he checks a few of the boxes.

Showalter hasn’t stated how many left-handers he’d like to carry in his bullpen. Donnie Hart will try to stay off the Triple-A shuttle and might qualify as the biggest threat to Rodríguez if the Orioles keep only two lefties, unless Rule 5 pick Nestor Cortes Jr. fails to make the rotation and the club wants to keep him.

The camp invites include Andrew Faulkner and Josh Edgin, the latter owning a career 3.49 ERA in 177 career games with the Mets. Left-handers are batting .223/.296/.367 against him.

I'm a dark horse
Running on a dark race course

There are plenty of hurdles in front of Rodríguez, but that’s why he’s a dark horse. I’ll choose him on this date, with so many roster moves pending, to medal in equestrian.

The bullpen is tough to crack. Right now it’s looking like,

Brach, Givens, O’day, Castro,  Bleier, Wright, Ynoa

That’s without any of the rule 5 guys. Plus I expect us to fill out the rotation with Tillman, a vet FA SP, and Cortes. If we don’t sign any SP then I guess that opens up some spots. Even in that case wouldn’t we want to keep this guy in AAA and get a look at the rule 5 arms at first?  

I guess when the rotation is wide open, then so is the bullpen. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

Rodríguez posted a 5.40 ERA and 1.745 WHIP in 38 relief appearances with the Phillies, but those numbers are inflated by his 6.33 ERA and 1.926 WHIP in 26 games last summer.

What does Roch mean by this?  I don't get the point of the "but" phrase.  Is he saying that the nine innings he pitched for the Phillies in 2016 should carry more weight that what he did in 2017?

6 minutes ago, Number5 said:

What does Roch mean by this?  I don't get the point of the "but" phrase.  Is he saying that the nine innings he pitched for the Phillies in 2016 should carry more weight that what he did in 2017?

"But it looks like they've been foolin' you again,
You thought that you'd got me all steaked out"

Dunno pardner. Jiberish to me. 

6 hours ago, Rene88 said:

A 6+ era with the Phillies....if he wasn’t hurt...I don’t see it. I think Roch just needs to write about something.

He’s got a challenging job these days, coming up with a new topic every day while nothing is happening.    He probably can’t wait to get to Sarasota, where he can do puff interviews with the players in camp.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s got a challenging job these days, coming up with a new topic every day while nothing is happening.    He probably can’t wait to get to Sarasota, where he can do puff interviews with the players in camp.

He was in NYC with his GF all last week. I supposed he had the fan fest left-over post pre-written. 

Archived