In on Lynn?

Snutchy

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've previously said he's too expensive and I believe he was asking for 4 years. So I don't have too much faith in this beyond "due diligence". 

That said, it obviously makes sense. If there's ever a time to bite the bullet and sign a decent pitcher, it's now while your entire rotation is gonna make like $10 million in total. Like, hey Orioles, it's ok to have ONE "expensive" pitcher. That's not a super risky thing to do. Ubaldo didn't work out, but it also didn't prevent you from throwing nearly $200 million at Davis and Trumbo combined.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

4/64m.  I don't see the O's going there.

No one saw them going 4/50m for Jimenez. Maybe DD is playing hardball and negotiating through the media when he says that they don't plan to give out pricey contracts to FA pitchers. Wouldn't be the first time he has contradicted himself. 

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

4/64m.  I don't see the O's going there.

I mean, that's basically Ubaldo's contract. For a much steadier pitcher. It's a no brainer, there's plenty of payroll room, and the need is there. Even if the next GM wants to rebuild, he's tradeable at that price, OR you just keep him because what's wrong with a steady veteran pitcher on a rebuilding team? 

2 minutes ago, Snutchy said:

No one saw them going 4/50m for Jimenez. Maybe DD is playing hardball and negotiating through the media when he says that they don't plan to give out pricey contracts to FA pitchers. Wouldn't be the first time he has contradicted himself. 

Its not DD.  Its Angelos that will not sign off on that kind of contract for a pitcher.

Just now, interloper said:

I mean, that's basically Ubaldo's contract. For a much steadier pitcher. It's a no brainer, there's plenty of payroll room, and the need is there. Even if the next GM wants to rebuild, he's tradeable at that price, OR you just keep him because what's wrong with a steady veteran pitcher on a rebuilding team? 

Ubaldo was 4/50.   That's a pretty big jump, especially for a guy who's 30 and a year removed from TJ.

Just now, clapdiddy said:

Ubaldo was 4/50.   That's a pretty big jump, especially for a guy who's 30 and a year removed from TJ.

I'm not sure if he'll be able to hold out at 4 years. I could see him slipping to 3 and if so, the O's need to be all over that.

Just now, Snutchy said:

I think we all did. It was clear they were going to sign either Ubaldo or Ervin Santana.

4 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

It was a pretty big jump to go from Jones' ~$90 to Davis' $161. For a much worse player.

I think Lynn's asking for a bit much, don't get me wrong, but the O's once again have put themselves into a situation where they're going to need to spend money if they want to say they're competing, otherwise they just look like idiots.

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

It was a pretty big jump to go from Jones' ~$90 to Davis' $161. For a much worse player.

I think Lynn's asking for a bit much, don't get me wrong, but the O's once again have put themselves into a situation where they're going to need to spend money if they want to say they're competing, otherwise they just look like idiots.

Good point!   

I'm a little concerned that he is a flyball pitcher and his HR% jumped last season.   Maybe his 2nd season back from TJ would be better.  

Archived