MLB Hot Stove rumors: Pitching-needy Orioles hoping to land a bargain starter

Bonecrusher52

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a shame that we're probably dead to the Astros as a potential trade partners after the whole Britton fiasco. McHugh is under contract for two more seasons.  I'd also be interested in Brad Peacock if they were willing to trade him. He seems to be the odd man out in the rotation and I don't think he would cost much since he's 30 yrs old (same age as McHugh)

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that Astros starter Collin McHugh is drawing trade interest from a number of teams.

Jake Odorizzi of the Rays is also popular on the trade market and is being sought by some of the same clubs that have reached out to the Astros about potentially acquiring McHugh. Those clubs include the Twins, Orioles, and possibly the Yankees. This trade market for mid-tier starting pitchers might not truly get going until top free agent starters Yu Darvish and Jake Arrieta have found contracts. McHugh, 30, missed the first half of the 2017 season with a right elbow impingement but posted a solid 3.55 ERA and 62 strikeouts over 63 1/3 innings (12 starts) when he finally came off the disabled li

I'm curious to see what happens, but I think the Astros are Dodgers-ing it up and will use all 7 good starters as the year goes along.  A luxury of being a superteam is you can conserve.

That said, McHugh-Britton even up right now is kind of a concept that could help both teams with what they are trying to do.  July 31 talks last summer, before Verlander and Cole, the shape of the Astros surplus was a lot different than it is now.

21 hours ago, Bonecrusher52 said:

Great, so it's Albert Belle all over again.  One guy burns you, so you don't sign another long FA deal for what, 5 or 6 years?  Jimenez had question marks when they signed him.  It's about signing the RIGHT players for 4 years.  I'd have no problems at all going 4 years for Cobb, Arrieta, or Darvish.

8 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I'm curious to see what happens, but I think the Astros are Dodgers-ing it up and will use all 7 good starters as the year goes along.  A luxury of being a superteam is you can conserve.

That said, McHugh-Britton even up right now is kind of a concept that could help both teams with what they are trying to do.  July 31 talks last summer, before Verlander and Cole, the shape of the Astros surplus was a lot different than it is now.

I think it was Angelos that put an end to the Britton trade. Now he is out half of the season. Way to go Angelos. 

6 minutes ago, esmd said:

Great, so it's Albert Belle all over again.  One guy burns you, so you don't sign another long FA deal for what, 5 or 6 years?  Jimenez had question marks when they signed him.  It's about signing the RIGHT players for 4 years.  I'd have no problems at all going 4 years for Cobb, Arrieta, or Darvish.

I agree with you on that.

15 minutes ago, esmd said:

I'm not sure the "right" player is out there this winter. Darvish is a huge injury risk, Arrieta has lost velocity (and has been trending down) the last few seasons), and Cobb is kinda meh. I'm fine with them not being comfortable signing these players to long term deals, but I'm not fine with them not having a plan B. MAKE. SOME. TRADES.

14 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm not sure the "right" player is out there this winter. Darvish is a huge injury risk, Arrieta has lost velocity (and has been trending down) the last few seasons), and Cobb is kinda meh. I'm fine with them not being comfortable signing these players to long term deals, but I'm not fine with them not having a plan B. MAKE. SOME. TRADES.

Fair enough, I acknowledge the concern about them.  But I'm not saying sign them 5/100+ contracts either.  If you can get Arrieta for 4/80, do it all day long.  Even if he doesn't rebound and gives you 4 years of 14 wins and a mid-3's ERA, that's not a bad thing.

Archived