Another approach to a left handed OFer

wildcard

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, weams said:

Letting Schoop start that first year instead of delaying his clock did nothing good for the team and much bad. It bought them no good will from either Schoop (or Manny )and escalated the cost and the cut the retention a season.

Which is why you extend them during their pre-arbitration years.

6 hours ago, backwardsk said:

If Hays wins a job, and you don't want to block him, then there is no need to get a LH bat.  You shouldn't make any of the current OFers the short side of a platoon. Just go with Gentry as the defensive replacement.

I think Rickard may be a better defensive replacement at this point than Gentry.

In 2017:

Rickard (26) played 603 innings in the outfield and was worth 0.7 dWAR (Baseballreference)

Gentry (33) played 310 innings in the outfield and was worth 0.0 dWAR.

In terms of base stealing potential:

In 2017, 

Rickard had 8 SB and 1 CS

Gentry had 5 SB and 4 CS

Gentry is now 34 years old. Still glad we have him in the organization, but food for thought.

18 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Well he was mentioned in the original post from mlbtraderumors that started this thread. First name mentioned actually.

But fair enough. Definitely wouldn’t want to see him in the outfield.

You definitely don't want to see him with a glove.

Jay or Dyson are the only two that make sense. The other names our from the 2015-16 offseason. It’s a joke.

Why you bring in Jay or Dyson?  They make Hays have to “earn” it this year.  Plus they can play CF when Jones leaves next year.  A two year deal makes a lot of sense.  Bringing in a DH to play LF makes zero sense.  

I hope Mullins and Hays are everyday MLBers. This buys them some growing time. 

11 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Jay or Dyson are the only two that make sense. The other names our from the 2015-16 offseason. It’s a joke.

Why you bring in Jay or Dyson?  They make Hays have to “earn” it this year.  Plus they can play CF when Jones leaves next year.  A two year deal makes a lot of sense.  Bringing in a DH to play LF makes zero sense.  

I hope Mullins and Hays are everyday MLBers. This buys them some growing time. 

Why do you want to make Hays "earn" it?

I can see having a backup plan if he falls on his face but I don't see the "earning" it logic.  There are no questions about his work ethic right?

So what's the point?

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why do you want to make Hays "earn" it?

I can see having a backup plan if he falls on his face but I don't see the "earning" it logic.  There are no questions about his work ethic right?

So what's the point?

I don't think he meant that Hays doesn't work hard. Most players work hard. "Earning it" to me is for a twenty-two year old to show he's ready for the bigs. 

There's so many people on this board who want to trade the entire team and promote the prospects on this team - but Hays hit .217 with a 2.38 OBP with one home run in sixty three plate appearances. Struck out 16 times - or 25% of the time. Also committed three errors in twenty games. Limited sample size, but definitely is still a bit raw.

Not saying that he can't light it up in Spring Training - but in a world where we're all upset about getting veteran pitchers to compete - the O's should at least have somebody for RF with a track record.

Archived