Britton: Most haven't even been approached to come back, don't know where the org. sees itself next year

interloper

I think Angelo's gave DD marching orders to "compete" this year.  But he also gave financial constraints that so far have prevented the Orioles from competing in the free agent market.  And he reluctantly approved the possibility of dealing Manny but only if we could get pitching that would help us this year and DD was unable to pull that off.

As to the future, either DD has not engaged in that because he's a lame duck, or else he took concerns about an extension for Schoop, Jones, Gausman, etc, and Angelo's said you just worry about 2018, I'll let Brady deal with 2019 and beyond when he takes over.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the one hand, I wouldn't be having any meaningful conversations with Britton. For one, he's rehabbing from a fairly substantial injury/surgery. And two, he's way too expensive.

On the other hand, Duquette hasn't proven able to walk and chew gum at the same time. He's *always* operating in the now and rarely has made sound acquisitions or decisions that set the team up for long term success. It's no surprise to me that without a contract extending past this season, he'd be even further myopic.

12 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

On the one hand, I wouldn't be having any meaningful conversations with Britton. For one, he's rehabbing from a fairly substantial injury/surgery. And two, he's way too expensive.

On the other hand, Duquette hasn't proven able to walk and chew gum at the same time. He's *always* operating in the now and rarely has made sound acquisitions or decisions that set the team up for long term success. It's no surprise to me that without a contract extending past this season, he'd be even further myopic.

Sure, I mean I agree on Britton. But it's the body of information we have now. You're not even going to ask Jones or Schoop or Machado (in the past two years) about staying? Or Gausman, when he's ripe to be extended after a poor season? Because why exactly? Because a new GM might disagree with it? There's a GM still employed for this year, and he has to do a job. 

It just doesn't make much sense to me that they wouldn't even APPROACH *any* of their current players about extensions. What's the reasoning?

28 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I think Angelo's gave DD marching orders to "compete" this year.  But he also gave financial constraints that so far have prevented the Orioles from competing in the free agent market.  And he reluctantly approved the possibility of dealing Manny but only if we could get pitching that would help us this year and DD was unable to pull that off.

As to the future, either DD has not engaged in that because he's a lame duck, or else he took concerns about an extension for Schoop, Jones, Gausman, etc, and Angelo's said you just worry about 2018, I'll let Brady deal with 2019 and beyond when he takes over.

I vote for you and El Gordo to run this embarrassment of a team!  :ph34r:

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sure, I mean I agree on Britton. But it's the body of information we have now. You're not even going to ask Jones or Schoop or Machado (in the past two years) about staying? Or Gausman, when he's ripe to be extended after a poor season? Because why exactly? Because a new GM might disagree with it? There's a GM still employed for this year, and he has to do a job. 

It just doesn't make much sense to me that they wouldn't even APPROACH *any* of their current players about extensions. What's the reasoning?

I don't fault Duquette for Britton or Jones.

Gausman and Schoop, however, I do fault him. 

I honestly don't know what's going on. I've really soured on Duquette ever since his Blue Jays debacle and totally punting that offseason when he still had...what...how many years left on his contract? 3 or 4? Inexcusable and classless.

32 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Brady has been relatively vocal about the need to sign our players to extensions. He said as much during the Davis signing when we had to pay full price for him. Don't you think he'd like to have one or two of these guys next year if he is, in fact, going to be GM (debatable, imo)? He is Dan's VP after all - you'd think they maybe coordinate on the future of the team in some way. 

Again, it doesn't make sense.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

1. We don't want our current players.

2. We don't want any new players.

3. We don't want to give our players to other teams for other players.

What exactly do they want?

We like Rule 5 guys.  They are cheap to pay and come with little risk.  In fact, I think the Orioles should go all in with this strategy and field an all Rule 5 team next year.

Seriously if we are going to suck, let's do it with flair.  An all Rule 5 team would make history and might be fun to watch.  At the very least, we'd have the revenge element going for us every game as some Orioles player will want to take it out their old team we are playing against.   Who's in to watch an all Rule 5 team? ;-)

4 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I don't fault Duquette for Britton or Jones.

Gausman and Schoop, however, I do fault him. 

I honestly don't know what's going on. I've really soured on Duquette ever since his Blue Jays debacle and totally punting that offseason when he still had...what...how many years left on his contract? 3 or 4? Inexcusable and classless.

I remember stories (rumors?) back in October about approaching Schoop. I think there were complaints on OH about how we were approaching him after a great season as opposed to the guys who now want us to go after Gausman after a down season.

It is a rather one sided argument IMO. Britton is getting paid millions for no service to the club. Players like AJ at least inferred they wanted CD back and the club did(that was a bargain). Is it a one sided event to discuss extensions, only the teams. And of course, the player can always be insulated by saying "It is out of my hands." Am I happy with the club? Not really, but it is just a game and doesn't change my life much if they win or lose. I will be down at ST to watch some games in a few weeks either way. I hope the O's find a nugget or two (I find that more enjoyable than signing FA's), but I won't beat down players that don't live up to our expectations.

4 minutes ago, Pheasants said:

I remember stories (rumors?) back in October about approaching Schoop. 

Which were denied by the team.

Sometimes I think there must be some things going on here that explain why they’re operating this way, that none of us are aware of.    Other times, I just think it’s Crazy Town.   One thing’s for sure, the team is terrible with communications externally, and apoarently internally as well.   

2 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm picking the latter.

See this is a neat question the poster asks. I am uncertain that those are all of the answers that are possible for it though. I think it may be a case of leading by multiple choices here.

I suspect some of this is because the team is a poorly run organization. Some because of internal dysfunction and probably a lot because the well is appearing to be in it's drying phase. I think it is complicated and ownership needs to take their lumps as well as the management staff, and the geopolitical economic influences. That's what I believe. 

My question is why Angelos cares about the lame duck status. Does he really care that much about letting a new GM/manager construct their own team that he would just punt on this season? Without getting anything in return for the players he's paying? Or without generating excitement by adding to the team to increase ticket sales this year?

It doesn't make SENSE. 

No it doesn't.  It's clear (to me at any rate) that something's going on that's not making it to the media.

My question is why Angelos cares about the lame duck status. Does he really care that much about letting a new GM/manager construct their own team that he would just punt on this season? Without getting anything in return for the players he's paying? Or without generating excitement by adding to the team to increase ticket sales this year?

It doesn't make SENSE. 

I’m saying the GM (and Buck, to a lesser extent) don’t have much incentive to prioritize approaching players about long term contracts, when they’re not under contract themselves.   

23 minutes ago, weams said:

See this is a neat question the poster asks. I am uncertain that those are all of the answers that are possible for it though. I think it may be a case of leading by multiple choices here.

I suspect some of this is because the team is a poorly run organization. Some because of internal dysfunction and probably a lot because the well is appearing to be in it's drying phase. I think it is complicated and ownership needs to take their lumps as well as the management staff, and the geopolitical economic influences. That's why I believe. 

I assume you meant that is WHAT you believe.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m saying the GM (and Buck, to a lesser extent) don’t have much incentive to prioritize approaching players about long term contracts, when they’re not under contract themselves.   

I believe, the GM and the manager have the incentive that comes from being a part of baseball and that they would like the story of their own actions to be a good one.  If your above statement is correct, both the GM and the Manager are sitting back and saying "Look Im getting paid, what do I care!" Or something to that effect.  I believe both of these guys are better than that...but Weams' comments above essentially amounts to an impending mega crash.

Neither line of thought are very pleasant.

I continue to believe the team is being prepared for sale. 

At this point, you could almost fire up conspiracies of a sale of the organization. I mean, they haven't participated in FA, they haven't approached their players for extensions (including Jones, Machado, Schoop, Gausman, and Britton that we are aware of from just this offseason's news cycle), they've reduced payroll by $40 million seemingly no intent to bump it back up...

OR

They're just really this bad at running a baseball team.

That's a possibility based on the total lack of action in the Post Season by the Front Office.  Why invest Angelos' funds into a property he is maybe trying to sell off.  Let the new buyers foot the bill and worry about the roster.

Archived