Your level of apathy level for the 2018 season

Moose Milligan

I'm pretty apathetic towards this upcoming season, I've noticed a few posts around here lately that echo similar sentiments, too.  While I'll take losing baseball over no baseball, I'm just having a hard, hard time getting excited for this season.  I'm happy that baseball season is starting, but the actual Orioles?  Meh.

Obviously, last season was underwhelming on many levels, from the pitching to Davis to Trumbo....it was just a big turdburger of a season and by late August it was hard to pay attention.

For me, the apathy isn't that Orioles are going to be a losing club in 2018, it's the seasons after that still look bleak.  Obviously a lot can happen over the span of a couple seasons but I think there's a fear that we could easily slip back into a 1998-2012 abyss.  I think that's at the root of my apathy.  It's not like we have a loaded farm system with a guy like Acuna or Vlad Jr and plenty of others to follow and we're on the come-up.  We're in the death rattles of a few good seasons that were a lot of fun with seemingly no real plan for sustained success.

So what's your level of apathy for the upcoming season?  1-10 scale, 1 being absolutely ecstatic, 10 being completely withdrawn.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably an 8. I look forward to seeing the rookies (Hays and Sisco), Tim Beckham, Trey Mancini. Taking in all the Manny and Jones I can. Watching Mychal Givens pitch. Seeing Bundy and Gausman put in some quality seasons. Analyzing these Rule V guys. Cheering for the inevitable unexpected story like Ruben Tejada hitting 25 home runs or something bizarre like that.

I would go with 8 as well. Just seems we haven't done anything to improve the club and we were pretty bad last year, while the Yankees have gotten better and the Sox are still good. I have zero expectations of making the playoffs, and if the second half is as meaningless as we think, it is going to be truly painful watching Manny and Jones going through the motions. We do have some interesting prospects to watch but it's not clear where we are going to get any new talent for '19 or '20. 

For me it's month-dependent. I'm always at a 1 to start the season, with whatever new storylines there are to follow, especially with rookies or new trade pieces. In spring training, April, May, pretty much anything is still possible. After that, wait and see, still with hope for a turnaround or sustained success. By August, reality starts to rule and if the team is tanking, I tune out. But not until then.

It's pretty high for me right now.  I'm waiting patiently for the Orioles to pick a direction (and boy have I learned to be patient with this team).  Go for it in 2018, I'll be more interested.  Rebuild in 2018, I'll be more interested.  They are doing neither.  Doing close to nothing.  I think they've done less this off season than in the winter of 2015.

So until they give me a reason to be interested... I won't be.  But I'll still follow the team because something will happen eventually.  Time is undefeated.

Usually moves in the offseason are what triggers excitement for the season. It's a product of months of checking this forum and mlbtraderumors or whatever. Considering this year there hasn't really been any moves...the product of excitement doesn't have any weight to it. That can change quickly and I'm assuming it will. Baseball is still fun to watch whether it's the O's or whoever...plus it represents summer and winter is no fun for me. 

Plus us this team has some interesting things to watch for...just not a whole lot of expectations to actually win. 

Super excited for baseball. Not very excited for this Orioles team. I have very low expectations for this club.

I re-upped my season tickets because I'm a glutton for punishment and I can't quite quit this team...but I wasn't enthusiastic when I re-upped. It took me a few weeks before I even did it. 

o

I'm never apathetic about my favorite teams in sports, no matter how good or bad they are.

I'm sad, disappointed, and sometimes very angry and frustrated when they lose and/or when they are a bad team that is well under .500, but I'm never apathetic.

When the Orioles were suffering 14 consecutive losing seasons between 1998 and 2011, I enjoyed every one of their wins like I was 6 years-old, while simultaneously being sad, disappointed,  and (sometimes) angry at all of the other games in which they were losing.

o

Archived