Your level of apathy level for the 2018 season

Moose Milligan

6 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

I'm never apathetic about my favorite teams in sports, no matter how good or bad they are.

I'm sad, disappointed, and sometimes very angry and frustrated when they lose and/or when they are a bad team that is well under .500, but I'm never apathetic.

When the Orioles were suffering 14 consecutive losing seasons between 1998 and 2011, I enjoyed every one of their wins like I was 6 years-old, while simultaneously being sad, disappointed,  and (sometimes) angry at all of the other games in which they were losing.

o

o

"Simultaneously", meaning all within the same 6-month season, not literally happy and sad and angry after a win (or after a loss.)

o

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say about a 7.... still holding out some hope that maybe we'll make a late move or two (I know I know... probably fruitless hope). But as is, I don't see this roster being one to win more than about 60-70 games. Hopefully I'm wrong.... or hopefully we DO make some moves. We do have a few young guys I look forward to seeing (Hays and Sisco for example). 

Otherwise, the do-nothing but try to fruitlessly tread water elicits very little excitement. At this rate, I might care even less next season with the almost certain departure of Manny and a possible departure of Adam Jones.

Honestly, I have never been so uninterested in an off-season.  Don't care about Opening Day. It's disappointing they haven't improved the SP. 

But this kind of stems back a couple years. The winning was great, but as I've said before, this team is boring to watch. Strike out kings swinging for the fences, guys lumbering around the bases. It's just not exciting baseball. 

They're still going to be that same type of offense, and have done nothing to add OBP or speed. Add that to no attempt to improve the pitching. 

I'm ok losing with young exciting hungry guys. But not with this group. 

A reminder, for almost very subscription type unless you physically check the box, your MLB.TV subscription will be auto-renewed in a couple of weeks.  

I am a 9 or 10.  That will come down a bit if the team commits to a path to rebuild the team, or any path really.  At the moment I am not at all interested and am fully committed to making sure the Orioles don't get a penny from me until theres a change or Angelos is selling. 

With that said, We have two games against the Mets this year, I am hopeful something changes before then so I can drag my sad patoot there.  

I've decided to take the time to finally figure out what the hell Baseball Analytics are and why if they are relevant, they aren't more readily used in television broadcasts. I never have apathy for the O's. Call it being a sucker for punishment, but I will remain forever hopeful, until such time as my breath leaves my body for good. I can understand being underwhelmed, but I forever live in hope that our stars will align and the universe will give us a championship.

The reality is what it is. We are Orioles fans, forever to be cast in the shadows of those who choose to print their own money. Do I despise them... absolutely. Do I begrudge us for having to live that way?  never. We are the good guys... we don't need that level of expectation or angst.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not capable of being apathetic about the Orioles, so 5 is about as low as I could ever go on this scale.    Put me at 4.

The better “ap” word to describe me is apprehensive.    I’m at an 8-9 there now.    

Replace apprehensive with resigned and you have me.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Replace apprehensive with resigned and you have me.

Never resigned.    I’ve seen too many unexpected things happen to ever assume that things will go exactly as I expected.    I was not expecting a playoff run in 2012.    Didn’t see it coming at all.    So I’m not giving up on 2018 before they play the games.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Never resigned.    I’ve seen too many unexpected things happen to ever assume that things will go exactly as I expected.    I was not expecting a playoff run in 2012.    Didn’t see it coming at all.    So I’m not giving up on 2018 before they play the games.   

That is why I'm at a 8-9, there is that small sliver of hope that a freak season arrives.

I've been watching this coming for years now so I'm fully prepared for what I think is about to happen.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not capable of being apathetic about the Orioles, so 5 is about as low as I could ever go on this scale.    Put me at 4.

The better “ap” word to describe me is apprehensive.    I’m at an 8-9 there now.    

Even with my old hate of Angelos, I was never apathetic about the Birds, but this off-season has really tested my own fandom, and everyday I slip more and more.

Archived