Vargas to the Mets :(

FanSince88

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

Heyman reporting 2 year deal to the Mets.  This is irritating.  We might have had to give him a cheap three year deal but come on is that really so hard?  

So who's this phantom lefty starter going to be?  Please tell me it's not Cortes.  

We'd better be in on Lynn or Cobb.  Or at least pick up Dickey to eat innings in the 4th spot.  

Giving Vargas a three year deal would NOT have been worth it IMO.

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

The shortage of quality MLB starting pitchers is the reason why average starting pitchers are signed to multi-million dollar contracts.

And, yeah, if your rotation is any ole five minor leaguers you can find, then your team will lose 100+ games every single season.

Pitching is hard. My ERA in my softball bar-league is probably like 92.00. Can't even imagine what it would be if I were pitching against people who weren't drunk.

21 minutes ago, interloper said:

Here's who's left:

Brett Anderson

Jake Arrieta

Clay Buchholz

Trevor Cahill

Jesse Chavez

Alex Cobb

R.A. Dickey

Scott Feldman

Matt Garza

A.J. Griffin

Jeremy Hellickson

Ubaldo Jimenez

John Lackey

Francisco Liriano

Jeff Locke

Lance Lynn

Ricky Nolasco

Jake Peavy

Mike Pelfrey

Tyler Pill

Anibal Sanchez

Chris Smith

Chris Tillman

Cesar Valdez

Edinson Volquez

Off the top of your head, do you know which ones are left handed? 

31 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Anderson seems done.

Only other interesting guys beyond the expensive three left are Lackey and Dickey but both could retire.

I've put Sutcliffe comps on Lackey some this winter.  Lackey and Cashner would be hosses ala Siragusa and Adams.  They're just there to let the big dogs run to the 5-3 6th inning leads.

16 minutes ago, esmd said:

My guess is they'll sign Tillman and call it an offseason. :-/

Dunno. There seems to be more folks thinking that the O's may pass on Tillman. Tony and Luke here think he would have signed by now and Britt says he doesn't have an offer from the O's yet. If the O's pass, it's because they didn't like what they saw, not because they dropped the ball. 

Not to say they aren't dropping the ball in several other areas.. lol. 

But I think they find another "starter", whatever that amounts to, and a "left-handed outfielder", whatever that amounts to. It could be, like, Liriano and Pedro Alvarez. But hopefully it's more like Lynn and Jay.

I expect Vargas to be bad. Projections have him at ~5 ERA. He's 35 years old and coming off a disastrous second half of 2017.

He, like Cashner, doesn't move the needle. I won't think this team is realistically competitive without two of Lynn, Cobb, and McHugh.

The sooner we all come to terms with the reality that our 2 remaining SP spots are likely going to Chris Tillman and possibly a Rule V guy, the better we'll all feel. I know I feel better already. 

While I won't guarantee it will be a Rule V guy, my guess is that Buck will give every opportunity to the best one to sink or swim, and then possibly get the cheapest possible vet in week 3 of ST. That guy can then hang back in FL until we need a 5th starter to continue stretching his arm out in simulated or MiL games.

58 minutes ago, esmd said:

My guess is they'll sign Tillman and call it an offseason. :-/

I would love to see a minor league deal for Tillman with an opt out at the end of ST. This way we see what have in the fifth starter race and also see if Tillman looks like his old self. Whether it's a good storyline or not...Id rather a healthy one year deal for Tillman than a rule 5 magician. 

For the fourth spot I would like Cobb...probably not going to happen. But if they signed Dickey I would also be satisfied.

Archived