Colby Rasmus (Update: O's sign him to minor league deal)

Going Underground

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 25 Nuggets said:

I was disappointed in his base running, including the stolen bases.  But to each his own.

I was disappointed in David Lough as a whole and was vocal about it. Jaycob Bruman's minor-league numbers are clear that he is not a base-stealer nor an exceptionally fast runner. There is nothing about Brugman that stands out. Colby Rasmus, on the other hand, has had some highly productive years in MLB -- much more productive than Brugman has ever produced at any level of the minors. I have no problem if the Orioles end up with Brugman in their minor-league system when/if he clears waivers not would I have a problem if another team claims him.

50 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I was disappointed in David Lough as a whole and was vocal about it. Jaycob Bruman's minor-league numbers are clear that he is not a base-stealer nor an exceptionally fast runner. There is nothing about Brugman that stands out. Colby Rasmus, on the other hand, has had some highly productive years in MLB -- much more productive than Brugman has ever produced at any level of the minors. I have no problem if the Orioles end up with Brugman in their minor-league system when/if he clears waivers not would I have a problem if another team claims him.

Yeah pretty much.  We have to hope Rasmus's mind and body are healthy - if they are, he's a flat-out better player than Brugman or Presley.

39 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Yeah pretty much.  We have to hope Rasmus's mind and body are healthy - if they are, he's a flat-out better player than Brugman or Presley.

Definitely without a doubt. I’m not sure what the odds are that his mind and body are both healthy, surely nowhere near 100%, but it’s worth exposing Brugman to waivers to find out IMO.

2 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Lough had more value than Brugman. At least Lough had one tool: he was fast. He could be inserted to pinch-run and maybe attempt to steal a base. You could have played him in center field, conceivably.
You could pinch-run Brugman, though you would not be sending him to steal. He's not a speedy runner. Pinch-running is not going to get Brugman a spot on the roster. You are not playing him in center if you can help it. Maybe an injury in extra innings forces your hand.

Lough was a terrible base stealer.   Other aspects of his baserunning were fine, but he was only successful on 10 of 19 attempts as an Oriole.  

How’s this for a comp:

Pre-2018 Colby Rasmus: .242/.311/.438, 103 OPS+, 19.5 rWAR in 4070 PA.

Pre-2012 Nate McLouth:   .249/.337/.426, 102 OPS+, 4.7 rWAR in 2684 PA.

I was surprised to see Rasmus had racked up 19.5 rWAR in his career. That’s a very solid career.    There’s upside here for us, for sure.   

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Lough was a terrible base stealer.   Other aspects of his baserunning were fine, but he was only successful on 10 of 19 attempts as an Oriole.  

I would expect that Brugman, if given 19 stolen base attempts in MLB, would be successful five times. And it would take a 15-year career to get the green light 10 times. He would sneak in the other nine attempts on his own. This is not a defense of Lough, but at least minor league managers sent him 145 times over 774 games. Brugman in 471 minor league games has attempted only 55 steals. Brugman does nothing exceptionally poorly nor anything particularly well.

23 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I would expect that Brugman, if given 19 stolen base attempts in MLB, would be successful five times. And it would take a 15-year career to get the green light 10 times. He would sneak in the other nine attempts on his own. This is not a defense of Lough, but at least minor league managers sent him 145 times over 774 games. Brugman in 471 minor league games has attempted only 55 steals. Brugman does nothing exceptionally poorly nor anything particularly well.

Yeah, I don’t have any big hopes for Brugman, though I’ve never seen him play.    Lough was a tremendous defender but really disappointing on the offensive end.    He really minimized his speed advantage by hitting too many balls in the air and not having good base stealing instincts.   His .300 OBP in the majors compares very unfavorably to the .344 Brugman put up last year as a rookie.

On 2/22/2018 at 11:30 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Rasmus...comeback player of the year.  You heard it here first. 

Nah....he is gonna share it, AND the World Series MVP, with Tillman!!! ;) 

On 2/22/2018 at 1:33 PM, Tony-OH said:

I literally rather set myself on fire than have Feldman back. Remember, he cost us Arrieta and Strop. We don't need that kind of ju-ju back here. ;)

The Baseball Gods demand a sacrifice to erase the bad ju-ju.  We can have Feldman back without setting you on fire, but I don't know how we are going to make a sacrifice of Feldman to the Gods without getting in trouble.  So yeah, I'd pass.

Archived