First cut

wildcard

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I know Mountcastle was a late promotion to AA last season, but I thought with a strong ST and depending on what is at AAA, it would not be unrealistic to see him land at AAA.

He didn’t hit well in AA last year, so I expect him to return there.   He could get a promotion to AAA after a few months if he’s hitting well there.   

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I know Mountcastle was a late promotion to AA last season, but I thought with a strong ST and depending on what is at AAA, it would not be unrealistic to see him land at AAA.

If there is a young promising hitter like Mountcastle, the  last thing I would want to do with him is promote him fast to Harbor Park,  where hits go to die.  I  would rather see him rack at Bowie for a while.

Just now, wildcard said:

If there is a young promising hitter like Mountcastle, the  last thing I would want to do with him is promote him fast to Harbor Park,  where hits go to die.  I  would rather see him rack at Bowie for a while.

I forgot about how bad it was to hit at Harbor Park.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

You know my opinion about this.    It didn’t hurt Mancini, and it’s not going to hurt the others unless they are delicate little flowers who don’t belong in the majors in the first place.     So their stats will be down a bit, big deal.     They’ll go back up when they reach OPACY.

5 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

No reason to keep them around, if the org plans on having them start the year at AAA.

That's normally only an issue if they aren't getting at bats or innings (usually they like to farm out minor league starters early so they can prepare their for their up coming season as a starter). With Buck preferring to not play his major league players against AL East opponents nor make them travel much, there are a lot of at bats for them. It's better for them to face major league or near major league pitching for as they as they can during the spring. It also gives the major league staff longer to evaluate them and to send down reports on what they need to focus on when they go back down to the minors.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

He didn’t hit well in AA last year, so I expect him to return there.   He could get a promotion to AAA after a few months if he’s hitting well there.   

Plus, he has defensive things to work on. He'll most likely spend all of 2017 at AA unless he mashes so much that they want to challenge him a bit in AAA at some point. 

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Why would the O's cut Mullins and Mountcastle in the first cut?  These guys look like gray pants guys for quite a while.   Beckham, Jones, Mancini and Rasmus are unlikely to travel much.

So they can give the ABs to Pedro and Valencia?

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

You know my opinion about this.    It didn’t hurt Mancini, and it’s not going to hurt the others unless they are delicate little flowers who don’t belong in the majors in the first place.     So their stats will be down a bit, big deal.     They’ll go back up when they reach OPACY.

Mountcastle hit one 500 ft the other day to center. Harbour Park is not a death trap.

The Orioles would like to make some cuts later today, but they may have to wait until Saturday.

“I’m trying,” said manager Buck Showalter. “Dan (Duquette) and I met after the B game and came to an agreement on some names, so I think we’ll see some between now and tomorrow is over, for sure.

“I’ll try to get to some today, but I don’t know. I’m not going to pull them out of the shower.”

Roch

Several cuts the last few days.   Crichton, Y. Ramirez, Kelly, Faulkner and Brugman were sent out this morning to reduce the number in camp to 55.

Previous cuts included Gurka, Gamboa, A. Perez, Salcedo and Rosa, in addition to Lee, who is injured anyway.   

Archived