Welp, are we officially worried about Bundy?

interloper

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

And we have a winner. Everyone wants us to develop pitchers. They just don’t want to see the process if it involves struggling. Just like why Wright and Ynoa struggled in AAA last year. I’m sure they weren’t working on things either. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

And we have a winner. Everyone wants us to develop pitchers. They just don’t want to see the process if it involves struggling. Just like why Wright and Ynoa struggled in AAA last year. I’m sure they weren’t working on things either. 

We've already developed Bundy. Wright and Ynoa are mostly bad pitchers that have nothing left to work on in AAA.

I presented the OP and then I presented the counterpoint with Roch's tweet. 

Nothing about your comment makes sense.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I think if you're a young pitcher, you should always be trying to earn your spot. What's wrong with that? I know it's not exactly realistic. But if I'm Dylan Bundy, I would want to impress, not tinker. Don't let anyone question you, not when you haven't carved out a real spot for yourself in the big leagues yet. 

Unlike Davis, you can't find any silver linings in these Bundy stats. Davis at least has a .833 OPS. :)

First off, ideally you want everyone "trying to earn their spot".  Right?  Everyone from Hunter Harvey to Chris Davis.  You want them to go out and try really hard to do well.  Then help little old ladies across the street after the game is over.

As for what is wrong with that, well having a pitcher throw all out before said pitcher is ready physically to do so could lead to injury.  You really want Bundy throwing 96-97 on March second?  Do you want Jones running full bore into the CF wall to make a catch?

It's practice man, practice.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

First off, ideally you want everyone "trying to earn their spot".  Right?  Everyone from Hunter Harvey to Chris Davis.  You want them to go out and try really hard to do well.  Then help little old ladies across the street after the game is over.

As for what is wrong with that, well having a pitcher throw all out before said pitcher is ready physically to do so could lead to injury.  You really want Bundy throwing 96-97 on March second?  Do you want Jones running full bore into the CF wall to make a catch?

It's practice man, practice.

Bundy's not really capable of throwing 96-97, so no. 

Look, I'm just saying I'm worried that Bundy sucks! That's it. He probably won't suck. But seeing him get slammed around for 10 runs in 4 innings while throwing 91 is uhhh not great, man. You can't just blame that on "I'm working on my changeup" and call it a day. He's tallied 1 out in the 3rd inning and only bumped his pitch count up by like 9 pitches. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Bundy's not really capable of throwing 96-97, so no. 

Look, I'm just saying I'm worried that Bundy sucks! That's it. He probably won't suck. But seeing him get slammed around for 10 runs in 4 innings while throwing 91 is uhhh not great, man. You can't just blame that on "I'm working on my changeup" and call it a day. He's tallied 1 out in the 3rd inning and only bumped his pitch count up by like 9 pitches. 

He's not?

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=605164&time=&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=03/02/2018&s_type=2

Odd it has his average velocity in June and July of '16 to be over 96 MPH.

I would think that you would have to at least be able to touch 96-97 for that to be the case.

Now I will admit that his average velocity was down in the 92-93 range in 2017, but that doesn't mean he still couldn't touch 96-97.

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

Yes. But also because he had velocity issues last year and we’ve been abusing his arm, IMHO.

The velocity issues are here to stay; I've made peace with that. Post-surgery, he's a max 94 type of guy who sits 92. 

If his breaking stuff isn't working, he's pretty much doomed.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

The velocity issues are here to stay; I've made peace with that. Post-surgery, he's a max 94 type of guy who sits 92. 

If his breaking stuff isn't working, he's pretty much doomed.

Except he's not a max 94 guy.  Your average fastball in a game is not 93.77 (6/14/17) if 94 is your max.

You are working off an incorrect foundation.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

He's not?

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=605164&time=&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=03/02/2018&s_type=2

Odd it has his average velocity in June and July of '16 to be over 96 MPH.

I would think that you would have to at least be able to touch 96-97 for that to be the case.

Now I will admit that his average velocity was down in the 92-93 range in 2017, but that doesn't mean he still couldn't touch 96-97.

Sorry, no. If he touches 96 in 2018, it'll be a fluke or a bad radar reading. Those days are permanently over for Dylan Bundy. And that's fine! But the cutter, curve, and change have to be there. 

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Silly to say something like " You always have to be earning the job.".  It isn't true.  You know it, I know it.  It's a silly exercise.

And you don't WANT your pitcher to think his spring performance (stats) matter either.   He needs to be working on his pitchings, stretching out his arm, building up to 6 innings.   You don't want him reaching back for those extra few MPH with men on base because he "needs" to get the out when he's not ready to throw that hard yet.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Except he's not a max 94 guy.  You average fastball in a game is not 93.77 (6/14/17) if 94 is your max.

You are working off an incorrect foundation.

You watched the same games I did. I dunno what to tell you. 

Just now, interloper said:

Sorry, no. If he touches 96 in 2018, it'll be a fluke or a bad radar reading. Those days are permanently over for Dylan Bundy. And that's fine! But the cutter, curve, and change have to be there. 

How can it be a fluke?

Strong headwind?

I am providing actual evidence his maximum velocity is higher than you say and you ignore it.

Yea, I'm done.  You obviously have an agenda you feel like pursuing regardless of facts.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

And you don't WANT your pitcher to think his spring performance (stats) matter either.   He needs to be working on his pitchings, stretching out his arm, building up to 6 innings.   You don't want him reaching back for those extra few MPH with men on base because he "needs" to get the out when he's not ready to throw that hard yet.

Who said anything about velocity? I'm talking about location, and executing breaking pitches. 91 isn't great, but it's honestly the least of my concerns.

Archived