TT: Looking at the 25-man roster battles

Tony-OH

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see them sending down Castro to throw starter innings, especially if they sign Lynn/Cobb.  I'm expecting that they don't sign those guys and Wright/Cortes get the fifth spot and one bullpen spot.  The remaining two bullpen spots going to two of the other rule V guys and Ynoa.  I thought Faulkner would surprise and force his way on, but he has really struggled.  I also see Buck getting his way and Wynns is the backup catcher.

Tony, what about Mullins? Any chance he gets a spot over Presley? And that brings up a broader question about pace of introducing rookies. Clubs like the Orioles, and Yankees of old, and others have had almost a policy of introducing 1-2 rookies a year. (Or does that only apply to perennial contenders?) 

Ifwe add Mullins to Hays, Santander, Cisco, Cortes, and Castro, that's as many as six 23-year-olds in serious competition for spots. (Or swap Castro who's not a rookie for one of the older candidates, like Wynns, who is). You already have three as "locks." How flexible do you think the Orioles brass is about the old school quota? Or maybe some mixing and matching is foreseeable in phases?

1. Cortes, Santander, Cisco/Wynns

2. Cortes, Castro, Cisco/Wynns, Hayes/Mullins, Scott
3. All above plus a taste of Harvey, Mountcastle?

(Who knows? They could be rebuilding, right under our noses!) :ph34r:

Really need to build Cortes innings up to give him a decent chance as a starter. Career reliever and never threw more than 104 in a minor league season.  I don't know.  I don't see it. 

I don't see Castro or Bleier as locks either.  More like probable.  Rodriguez could bump Bleier and the need to keep a second rule V (Mesa?) could bump Castro.  Bleier's place is more tenuous.  Terrible K rate and didn't throw a pitch in the majors before age 29. 

I think Wright  is the fifth starter unless they sign someone else.  Maybe Ynoa or Aquino if Wright implodes. 

4 hours ago, now said:

Tony, what about Mullins? Any chance he gets a spot over Presley? And that brings up a broader question about pace of introducing rookies. Clubs like the Orioles, and Yankees of old, and others have had almost a policy of introducing 1-2 rookies a year. (Or does that only apply to perennial contenders?) 

Ifwe add Mullins to Hays, Santander, Cisco, Cortes, and Castro, that's as many as six 23-year-olds in serious competition for spots. (Or swap Castro who's not a rookie for one of the older candidates, like Wynns, who is). You already have three as "locks." How flexible do you think the Orioles brass is about the old school quota? Or maybe some mixing and matching is foreseeable in phases?

It would make zero chance to put a guy like Mullins on the roster as a backup outfielder regardless of the fact that he needs another year of development time in the minors.  When these outfielders are ready to come up (Mullins, Hays, Stewart, etc.) they need to be playing everyday or at least close to it. 

It's tough to put anything past this organization, they did bring Hays up from Double A in August last year to be a reserve OF for no apparent reason.  Mullins wasn't OPSing .900 + in Bowie though.  

5 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

At this point the only thing that makes sense regarding the 25-man roster is to sign one more starting pitcher.  This moves both Cortes and Wright to the bullpen.  They should be done with position players.

Roch says there could be a few more unsigned veterans who get invited to compete for major league jobs. He doesn't say who they are.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/03/whos-next-after-valencia.html

15 hours ago, now said:

I don't see them jumping Mullins from AA to the majors. Although he's ready defensively, he really struggled the last few months of the season with the bat and probably needs more time at AA after struggling down the stretch. 

I think he's going to be a major leaguer, and maybe as early as next year if Jones leaves.

As for the "Quota", I'm not sure the Orioles subscribe to that theory. Saying that, it would not surprise me if Cortes and Cisco make the team as rookies this year.

The SP is always going to be a question mark with us because we don’t give out LT deals or haven’t had too much success developing are own. With that being said, I think this is the deepest bullpen and lineup/bench that we’ve had to start a season in awhile. 

One of Arrieta/Lynn/Cobb would make this team real interesting. 

17 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

I have seen Araujo three times and he has looked very impressive.  A rule 5 guy not as talked about comming into spring but from the times I have watched he looks better then other two guys.

I agree. It is going to be tough to send him back.

By my count, we have 9 guys locked in to the staff: 

Gausman, Bundy, Cashner, Tillman - SPs; Brach, Givens, O'Day, Bleier - Bullpen; Castro - 5th SP/Bullpen

I think you have to start with the guys that we would otherwise lose, so that means picking 3 or 4 of:

Araujo - RHP, has done well, Rule 5

Wright - good spring, out of options

Joely Rodriguez - LHP, DFA, good spring

Cortes - Rule 5, LHP, hasn't shown much

I think Araujo and Wright probably both make it, leaving the last spot coming down to Cortes or Rodriguez. I think I would have to go with Cortes just based on resume and upside as a SP option.

16 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I agree. It is going to be tough to send him back.

By my count, we have 9 guys locked in to the staff: 

Gausman, Bundy, Cashner, Tillman - SPs; Brach, Givens, O'Day, Bleier - Bullpen; Castro - 5th SP/Bullpen

I think you have to start with the guys that we would otherwise lose, so that means picking 3 or 4 of:

Araujo - RHP, has done well, Rule 5

Wright - good spring, out of options

Joely Rodriguez - LHP, DFA, good spring

Cortes - Rule 5, LHP, hasn't shown much

I think Araujo and Wright probably both make it, leaving the last spot coming down to Cortes or Rodriguez. I think I would have to go with Cortes just based on resume and upside as a SP option.

I think we take Cortes north in the LR spot. He has to pitch well and pitch well right out the gate. If not it will be too hard not to justify the Norfolk shuttle. The winner of the last bullpen spot really doesn’t matter because they might make one appearance and be sent down. 

I don't think now is the right time to make the call on Cortes, Wright, Arraujo and Rodriguez.   They are in the mix at this point.  There are two weeks left and the competition they play will get tougher.   Those that pitch well will stay and those that do not, will not.

By the way, Joely is signed to a minor league contract and does not have to be DFA'd if he does not make the OD roster.  His attraction is that he fits the role of hard throwing lefty reliever that that Buck is looking to fill.

Archived