Orioles Interested In Neil Walker and Mark Reynolds

section18

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm going to take a slightly different tack, just to be obstinate:  Mark Reynolds would have been a good fielder on that team, and would have been the best player on the team by 10000 miles.  Reynolds is listed at 6' 2", 220.  Which I'll believe, that seems kind of realistic.  They don't have all the heights/weights for the Marylands, but of the players they do list the biggest one was a guy named Tommy Johns who was 5' 11", 170.  Most of the team was my size - 5' 7" , 145.  Reynolds would have been their shortstop and #3 hitter.  The NA of '73 couldn't have been much higher quality than a D-III college league today.  Reynolds could have played deep, taken his time, and been a reasonably good fielder.  Back in this era a very well struck ball was often just let go - without a glove you'd probably just prefer to not break your hand.

And as a hitter... he'd have been a decent modern MLB hitter facing D-III college pitchers throwing underhand at 60 mph.  He would have been better than Long Levi Meyerle.

Oh I am quite sure he would mash as much as possible given the composition of the ball.

I'm not certain he would adapt well to bare handed fielding.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm going to take a slightly different tack, just to be obstinate:  Mark Reynolds would have been a good fielder on that team, and would have been the best player on the team by 10000 miles.  Reynolds is listed at 6' 2", 220.  Which I'll believe, that seems kind of realistic.  They don't have all the heights/weights for the Marylands, but of the players they do list the biggest one was a guy named Tommy Johns who was 5' 11", 170.  Most of the team was my size - 5' 7" , 145.  Reynolds would have been their shortstop and #3 hitter.  The NA of '73 couldn't have been much higher quality than a D-III college league today.  Reynolds could have played deep, taken his time, and been a reasonably good fielder.  Back in this era a very well struck ball was often just let go - without a glove you'd probably just prefer to not break your hand.

And as a hitter... he'd have been a decent modern MLB hitter facing D-III college pitchers throwing underhand at 60 mph.  He would have been better than Long Levi Meyerle.

Mark Reynolds was the shortstop at UVA, after all.
He probably would have pitched every third day for the Baltimore Marylands, too. I am imagining a lot of hit batters and wild pitches.

The Marylands is almost as bad of a team name as the Nationals is.

Still banging the Walker drum. We really don’t have a good choice to lead off.

It’s a 162 game season Beckham will get his AB’s. The way I see it is we traded a pretty darn good 19 year old SP for him. He needs to realize that he needs to embrace the Super Utility Role that TB wanted him to do. He’ll get the SS role back next year. Earn it. 

If Manny had to earn playing SS, then why does Beckham just get a position handed to him. Mancini is playing LF. Bex needs to grab a 3B and RF mitt and be happy. Stop living off on one flukish, error filled, month  

Yes, I think Walker is worth it. LH .350 OBP. This team needs that at the top of the lineup. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Still banging the Walker drum. We really don’t have a good choice to lead off.

It’s a 162 game season Beckham will get his AB’s. The way I see it is we traded a pretty darn good 19 year old SP for him. He needs to realize that he needs to embrace the Super Utility Role that TB wanted him to do. He’ll get the SS role back next year. Earn it. 

If Manny had to earn playing SS, then why does Beckham just get a position handed to him. Mancini is playing LF. Bex needs to grab a 3B and RF mitt and be happy. 

Yes, I think Walker is worth it. LH .350 OBP. This team needs that at the top of the lineup. 

Beckham posted a .348 OBP with us last year. Let's see if he can do it again from the leadoff spot. We don't need to add 3B to our list of positions being filled by someone for one year only, which already includes CF, RF and SS.

9 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Mark Reynolds was the shortstop at UVA, after all.
He probably would have pitched every third day for the Baltimore Marylands, too. I am imagining a lot of hit batters and wild pitches.

The Marylands is almost as bad of a team name as the Nationals is.

But we know that he would be throwing        (wait for it)              "seeds".

bos_a_ortiz_b1_600.jpg

3B Defense - Chris Davis v. Neil Walker.  Walker has 19 career games at 3B out of over 1000 at -8 runs per 1200 innings.  Davis has 93 games at -24 runs per 1200.  I guess Walker obviously better, but I'd be wary of the defense taxing the offensive gains he'd provide.

Not that Walker could, but Trumbo didn't adapt well to DH'ing.  Career tOPS+ on his three most played positions - 99 at 1B, 125 at RF, 86 at DH

1B Trumbo, 3B Davis, DH Walker.  We could offer Walker the extra practice of being the regular leadoff hitter at DH.

If Davis rebounds just enough to menace RHP, against them you could HR-max with

DH/3B Walker

SS Machado

3B/DH Davis (planning to insert Beckham after 3 PA)

CF Jones

2B Schoop

LF Mancini

1B Trumbo

RF Rasmus

C Sisco

13 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

3B Defense - Chris Davis v. Neil Walker.  Walker has 19 career games at 3B out of over 1000 at -8 runs per 1200 innings.  Davis has 93 games at -24 runs per 1200.  I guess Walker obviously better, but I'd be wary of the defense taxing the offensive gains he'd provide.

Not that Walker could, but Trumbo didn't adapt well to DH'ing.  Career tOPS+ on his three most played positions - 99 at 1B, 125 at RF, 86 at DH

1B Trumbo, 3B Davis, DH Walker.  We could offer Walker the extra practice of being the regular leadoff hitter at DH.

If Davis rebounds just enough to menace RHP, against them you could HR-max with

DH/3B Walker

SS Machado

3B/DH Davis (planning to insert Beckham after 3 PA)

CF Jones

2B Schoop

LF Mancini

1B Trumbo

RF Rasmus

C Sisco

19 games IS NOT an adequate sample size so, no you can't assume Neil Walker will be better than anyone at 3B. Playing him there with any regularity would be a complete gamble. I also hate this notion that you can stick anyone at 1B. Trumbo should not be playing 1B with any regularity. He's a DH who you occasionally try to hide in one of the of OF positions and pray he doesn't get a lot of action. As long as he's on this team (and starting) Chris Davis should be our first baseman. He's head and shoulders above any of our other in house options defensively. Also, Colby Rasmus should not merit full time playing status. He's a platoon player and this team needs to realize that and commit to giving Austin Hays ABs. 

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Where would Neil Walker play for us?  Infield looks pretty set.  Beckham seems to be a late bloomer who could possibly progress this year even more.  We're set at 3rd, SS, 2nd, 1st. with every day guys.  

Some people have said he should play 2nd for us and we should try to trade Schoop now for great value before we give him the Manny Machado treatment.   I can see some merit to that style of thinking.  Of course, I'd prefer we actually extend our own talented players but that doesn't seem to be a thing right now.

Just now, Aglets said:

Some people have said he should play 2nd for us and we should try to trade Schoop now for great value before we give him the Manny Machado treatment.   I can see some merit to that style of thinking.  Of course, I'd prefer we actually extend our own talented players but that doesn't seem to be a thing right now.

I guess.  

Not forward thinking enough to do that.

57 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Where would Neil Walker play for us?  Infield looks pretty set.  Beckham seems to be a late bloomer who could possibly progress this year even more.  We're set at 3rd, SS, 2nd, 1st. with every day guys.  

UTL, if he would come here to do that. That's probably unlikely. He's still a very solid player and can start for someone. For the Orioles, he could play some 3B, 2B, and 1B here and there. He would be excellent injury/underperformance insurance as well. 

Archived