Cut the Cord

srudden

Good morning everyone!  I cut the cord at home and only have mlb.tv.  So I was wondering what you all do to watch the Orioles since some of you are in the area?  Which is the best VPN to get?  Is it easy to use? 

Sorry for the random thread, didn't want to scroll through every topic for VPN stuff.

9 minutes ago, srudden said:

Good morning everyone!  I cut the cord at home and only have mlb.tv.  So I was wondering what you all do to watch the Orioles since some of you are in the area?  Which is the best VPN to get?  Is it easy to use? 

Sorry for the random thread, didn't want to scroll through every topic for VPN stuff.

I use Private Internet Access (but totes don't use it to get around mlb.tv blackouts). If you're a bit saavy, you can get yourself a router and load it up with custom firmware and never have to think about it again. That way you don't have to install any client software and all your network devices will be behind the VPN.

If you're not that saavy, you can install the desktop software and it's very easy to use.

40 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

There was actually a thread on this last year in OH, that if somebody can find, and post the link here, it would probably help as there was good information in there.

o

There were 3 of them ........ one from January of 2018, one from February of 2017, and one from 2014.

o

I am actually in the same boat  living here in North Carolina.  The wife wants to drop direct tv but that is how I watch my Orioles games so told her the only way we can drop it is if we can find a way to watch the games.  The county to the east of us has masn but in our area we can't get it on that cable package so trying to figure out what the best way to get the games is.  I don't want to be blacked out so trying to figure best way to go about getting the games.

1 hour ago, Malike said:

You also don't need cable to buy the MLB-TV package. It costs a whopping $115.99 a year. *gasp.* Just use a VPN like everyone else said. VIP box is sketchy.

o

Your Baby Birds will up in your neck of the woods on July 7th, 8th, and 9th this season (Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.)

http://www.milb.com/schedule/index.jsp?sid=t488&m=7&y=2018

You can let the wife and kiddies know in advance. ) ;)

o

I tried VPNs for the first time last year, Hola and later unBlockus. They only worked until June and then MLB somehow figured out where I really was. So ended up upping my satellite package up the sports tier with MASN again that I’d had for 9 years. I had dropped the sports tier with MASN  after the O’s season in ‘16 and was hoping to go the VPN route in ‘17. Wasn’t to be. 

53 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

I tried VPNs for the first time last year, Hola and later unBlockus. They only worked until June and then MLB somehow figured out where I really was. So ended up upping my satellite package up the sports tier with MASN again that I’d had for 9 years. I had dropped the sports tier with MASN  after the O’s season in ‘16 and was hoping to go the VPN route in ‘17. Wasn’t to be. 

I didn’t know the VPN could become ineffective. :(

19 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I didn’t know the VPN could become ineffective. :(

Hola worked like a charm from the first spring broadcast through late May. But at one point, I was getting prompts from the MLB At Bat app that I viewed it through (iPad and iPhone) that the app requires me to enable my location settings. Then it quit allowing me to view O’s games as they happened (could see them 90 mintues after they ended the way the blackout works). This was on both those devices and then my Apple TV, which had become my main way of watching O’s. I tried 3 different browsers in order to get around the app, but still could not get the games back while still using Hola. So I tried another VPN (unBlockus) and it worked just a few days. Then the old “enable location services” prompt came back. I thought VPNs were supposed to mask that, but it was not 100% as I found out. I researched this for days and days and never found a workaround. I eventually became weary of working the issue and gave up and tried to get a partial refund, but that was a no-go as well. Apple said go through MLB for that and MLB referred me back to Apple. Total run around. So I just ordered up MASN for the rest of the season. And of course, was rewarded with the team bottoming out the rest of the way. 

Archived