Castro moves into the lead for the 5th starter

wildcard

He actually commanded the baseball for 3 innings.   That moves him passed Wright.

Marinez is probably ready to be send down.

Araujo, Asher and Scott all got hit around some but probably get some more chances.

The O's  may only have one Rule 5 player on opening day - Santander.    But that is yet to play out.

I am probably dreaming but:

Bundy, Gausman, Lynn/Cobb, Cashner, and Tillman

Brach, Givens, O'Day, Bleier, Joely Rodriguez,  Castro, Wright 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno. The way the pitching schedule lines up next week, Castro is not even making a start. I think he's destined to repeat his role last year in the bullpen.

Bundy will not be your Opening Day starter - Gausman seems lined up to get that nod.

39 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He actually commanded the baseball for 3 innings.   That moves him passed Wright.

Araujo, Asher and Scott all got hit around some but probably get some more chances.

The O's  may only have one Rule 5 player on opening day - Santander.    But that is yet to play out.

Brach, Givens, O'Day, Britton, Joely Rodriguez,  Castro, Wright 

Do you mean Bleier instead of Britton?

11 hours ago, fearthenoodle said:

Yeah, I don't if I agree with that statement. 

Clearly (barring additions) it is down to Castro/Wright/Cortes, though. All 3 will continue to get starter innings it looks like (even though they are piggybacking starters next week). 

Cortes has all soft stuff.    Major league hitters are probably going to hit him around pretty good

Wright can't command the baseball on a consistent basis.  Not just this spring but for the last three years.

Castro went 3 innings and commanded the baseball.  Which he did last year also.  That pulled him ahead in my opinion.

48 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Brach, Givens, O'Day, Bleier, Joely Rodriguez,  Castro, Wright 

I like your pitching staff a lot.. only thing I would do is replace Rodriguez with Cortes, at least to see if Cortes can stick.

Just now, Yardball85 said:

I like your pitching staff a lot.. only thing I would do is replace Rodriguez with Cortes, at least to see if Cortes can stick.

Joely is a  hard throwing lefty.  Buck as been looking for one of those.  He has a ways to go to win a spot but so far, so good.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Joely is a  hard throwing lefty.  Buck as been looking for one of those.  He has a ways to go to win a spot but so far, so good.

I like Joely. I could see him making it over Araujo, who I currently have making the team.

I hope Castro is not the 5th starter. I hope Cobb or Lynn are. But if the unfortunate situation arose then Castro seems as good a bet as Wright or Cortes. I don't feel like any have really done anything to separate themselves from the competition yet. There's still time though.

I would rather see Castro in Bowie or Norfolk getting stretched out.   There will be an injury at some point this season where we'll need someone to step in immediately.   Personally, I'd have him starting in Norfolk to coincide with Tillman's starts as much as it is possible.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Cortes has all soft stuff.    Major league hitters are probably going to hit him around pretty good.

Remind me how hard Jamie Moyer, Greg M addux, and Steve Avery threw?

Castro has 1 start. 1.

Wright, even with his "command issues," has had 3 solid ones as far as hits and runs go.

8 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Remind me how hard Jamie Moyer, Greg M addux, and Steve Avery threw?

Castro has 1 start. 1.

Wright, even with his "command issues," has had 3 solid ones as far as hits and runs go.

Not sure about Avery off the top of my head but Maddux had pretty decent velocity for most of his career.

Archived