wildcard

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The back of the rotation has been terrible the last few years,

2016- Wright, Wilson, Ubaldo

2017- Miley, Tillman, Ubaldo

2018- Tillman, Castro/Cortes/Wright 

You can’t have any optimism when you’re team is getting blown out every 2-3 games.  It makes the season so boring. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The back of the rotation has been terrible the last few years,

2016- Wright, Wilson, Ubaldo

2017- Miley, Tillman, Ubaldo

2018- Tillman, Castro/Cortes/Wright 

You can’t have any optimism when you’re team is getting blown out every 2-3 games.  It makes the season so boring. 

Yeah, 2016 was really boring.   Oh, wait!   It wasn’t!

I don’t think this rotation is adequate, but 2016’s was just good enough for us to win 89 games and snag a wild card.  Admittedly, we did that despite the weak rotation, which ranked 13th in ERA in the AL.

Really impressed with Dave Johnson's analysis on Mid-Atlantic Sports Report today. I think Castro's 88-91mph pitches were cutters, not his regular FB, but other than that I was pretty much right on the same page with everything he was saying about Castro and Cortes.

"There's only one way to know if a guy like that can get it done or not, give him a chance" Dave Johnson on Nestor Cortes

17 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Really impressed with Dave Johnson's analysis on Mid-Atlantic Sports Report today. I think Castro's 88-91mph pitches were cutters, not his regular FB, but other than that I was pretty much right on the same page with everything he was saying about Castro and Cortes.

"There's only one way to know if a guy like that can get it done or not, give him a chance" Dave Johnson on Nestor Cortes

Saw that too. I also agreed with his take about all of these guys, Wright included, not being able to carry their velocity as SPs. 

I think we have three solid pieces for an MLB bullpen. Just not rotation options. I do like Cortes has a spot SP vs LH heavy teams this year. 

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Saw that too. I also agreed with his take about all of these guys, Wright included, not being able to carry their velocity as SPs. 

I think we have three solid pieces for an MLB bullpen. Just not rotation options. I do like Cortes has a spot SP vs LH heavy teams this year. 

Cortes has really defended himself well in the minors vs RHB. To the point of often having reverse splits. He hasn't thrown his changeup a lot yet though, it's a good pitch, not much tumble, but very deceptive. He'll need it to get RHB's out.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Cortes has really defended himself well in the minors vs RHB. To the point of often having reverse splits. He hasn't thrown his changeup a lot yet though, it's a good pitch, not much tumble, but very deceptive. He'll need it to get RHB's out.

I really think the kid has responded real well after a couple rough outings. He is in the lead for the #5 spot. Wright at #4, with Tillman the odd man out.

Tillman, though will get a wider berth than either of those two. And we’ll he should. But he’ll have to earn it.

16 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He was certainly informative.  He seemed to think Cortes was throwing his fastball at least as hard as Cortes.  I thought he was too dismissive of Castro as a starter, but he made his point well.  Still, I can't help be excited about Cortes, and I'd much rather have Cortes in the rotation than pay a bunch of money for a mediocre veteran.  Unless Tillman shows he's got his stuff back, I'd rather not see him at all.  And Wright still being in the running makes no sense, imo.  Nestor Cortes should be in the O's starting rotation.     

o

Castro's last outing was also against the Yankees ........ and just like in that last game against the Yankees 7 days ago, Jonathan Schoop hit a home run for the Orioles again.

As for Castro, he walked 2 batters in the 1st inning, and that was a big reason why he ceded 2 runs to the Yankees in said inning.

He also walked a 3rd batter in the 2nd inning, an inning in which the Yankees also scored 2 more earned runs against Castro (3 overall, due a a throwing error by Tim Beckham.)

He did have a quick 3rd inning (3 up, 3 down) after the debacles of the first 2 innings.

9 OUTS: 3 Groundouts, 2 Strikeouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Foulout, 1 Lineout

MIGUEL ANGEL CASTRO )))))) (vs. YANKEES, 3/21) )))))) [Spring Training]

IP:ll. 3

H:lll  5) ll(1 Double, 4 Singles)

R:llll  5

ER:l  4

BB:ll 3

SO:l. 2

Pitches: l) (Unavailable)

2018 ERA: l)  8.38  )  [Spring Training] )   9.67 IP (9 ER)

2018 WHIP: l)  1.966  )  [Spring Training] )   9.67 IP  (19 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .282  )  (11 for 39)  )  [Spring Training]  

PITCHES BY INNING

(Unavailable)

o

Archived