MLB unhappy at Judge for recruiting Machado today on the field

Diehard_O's_Fan

7 hours ago, atomic said:

Really I don't mind Manny leaving at all...  I think if Manny played on another team most of you would hate the guy. 

So?  That happens constantly.  I loathe Dustin Pedroia, but if he'd been a career Oriole he'd be my favorite player.

I'm sure you were first in line with the pitchfork mob running Eddie out of town, too.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I agree with a lot of what you’ve picked out about Machado. But isn’t it possible he was very immature upon his arrival in Baltimore and that he’s matured a little as a person? I know I’ve heard him express remorse for at least some of those actions. Does that not show remorse?

I am happy I’m not judged for events of my life when I was young and immature, I’d be in morality jail.

But the Fanfest absence is unforgivable. :D

I agree. He is a kid that has been followed by a camera most of his young adult life. He is still growing-up. The biggest test for him last year was when Boston tried to kill him on multiple occasions and he handled it well. Could have been a little better with the press stuff, but he didn't fight back on the field.  

38 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So?  That happens constantly.  I loathe Dustin Pedroia, but if he'd been a career Oriole he'd be my favorite player.

I'm sure you were first in line with the pitchfork mob running Eddie out of town, too.

I liked Eddie.  What did Eddie ever do that compares to Machados bad behavior? 

45 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I can’t tell you how often I’ve had this same reaction to Pedroia.

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

I liked Eddie.  What did Eddie ever do that compares to Machados bad behavior? 

He was unlikeable.  He didn't talk to the press.  He looked unhappy. 

As for Machado, in a world of real bad behavior his handful of minor, somewhat immature incidents are trivial.  If the Orioles had figured out a way to buy out some arb years and sign him for another half-decade they'd be called "colorful behavior" or "youthful indiscretions".  It's kind of sad that the Orioles couldn't figure out a deal to keep him here, and the narrative turns nasty and spiteful.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

As for Machado, in a world of real bad behavior his handful of minor, somewhat immature incidents are trivial.  If the Orioles had figured out a way to buy out some arb years and sign him for another half-decade they'd be called "colorful behavior" or "youthful indiscretions".  It's kind of sad that the Orioles couldn't figure out a deal to keep him here, and the narrative turns nasty and spiteful.

Yep, he didn’t beat his wife or girlfriend. Didn’t hurl racial epithets at anyone while walking the street. 

His stuff was trivial. Immature. I’m sure it’s not a consideration as to why the Orioles haven’t made extending him a priority.

13 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Yep, he didn’t beat his wife or girlfriend. Didn’t hurl racial epithets at anyone while walking the street. 

His stuff was trivial. Immature. I’m sure it’s not a consideration as to why the Orioles haven’t made extending him a priority.

He didn't chase down trick-or-treaters who'd pranked his house and hit them with his car.  He didn't throw a baseball into the stands at fans for taunting him.  He never gave a vicious forearm shiver to a second baseman he outweighed by almost 100 pounds.  He was never fined $50k by the league for menacing and cursing reporters in the clubhouse.  He never corked his bat.  Albert Belle did all of that and Ol' Pete signed him without any issue.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He didn't chase down trick-or-treaters who'd pranked his house and hit them with his car.  He didn't throw a baseball into the stands at fans for taunting him.  He never gave a vicious forearm shiver to a second baseman he outweighed by almost 100 pounds.  He was never fined $50k by the league for menacing and cursing reporters in the clubhouse.  He never corked his bat.  Albert Belle did all of that and Ol' Pete signed him without any issue.

I’d forgotten about Joey. Piece of work, real charmer.

34 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He didn't dive for balls he didn't have a play on.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He didn't dive for balls he didn't have a play on.

Everyone should be Billy Ripken.  He dove into first base on routine 4-3 putouts where he was out by 12 steps.  He dove for balls that one-hopped the RF wall.  As a second baseman.  He tipped the clubhouse kid $50 to not wash his uniform.  And now he's a MLB network analyst.

17 hours ago, atomic said:

I don't get why everyone is so upset that Manny is leaving. No one seems to care that Jones is probably leaving and no one cared when Markakis left. Both longer term Orioles and more likable. 

Because Manny is a much better player than those two.    And plenty of people cared when Markakis left, even though he was 30 and had gone downhill from his younger years, whereas Manny is 25 and in the prime of a career that could put him in the Hall of Fame if all goes well.   

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Because Manny is a much better player than those two.    And plenty of people cared when Markakis left, even though he was 30 and had gone downhill from his younger years, whereas Manny is 25 and in the prime of a career that could put him in the Hall of Fame if all goes well.   

I wonder if Ryan Flaherty acted the way Machado acted would you be  Ok with it?  I don't like Machado I don't care what how good of a ball player he is.   And his not coming to Fanfest once again is the nail in the coffin for me. I hope he goes to the Yankees so I can boo him like I did Reggie Jackson.  

Also I doubt Machado gets the contract you people expect. He has two bad knees and I think it would be pretty bad decision for anyone to give him a contract over 5 years.  

16 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Machado is 25...and just entering the prime of his career. And his ceiling is higher than Jones and Markakis' combined. I think people are more upset about the idea of a player of Manny's talent level leaving than they are the actual person. 

I'd say this is accurate.

Also, people are (rightfully) pissed that Davis got that big deal and that it could be what holds Manny back from staying here.  That's the thing I'm mostly upset about, the organizations ineptness to allocate funds correctly and and place value on a more important asset than what they did.  

14 minutes ago, atomic said:

I wonder if Ryan Flaherty acted the way Machado acted would you be  Ok with it?  I don't like Machado I don't care what how good of a ball player he is.   And his not coming to Fanfest once again is the nail in the coffin for me. I hope he goes to the Yankees so I can boo him like I did Reggie Jackson.  

Also I doubt Machado gets the contract you people expect. He has two bad knees and I think it would be pretty bad decision for anyone to give him a contract over 5 years.  

Do the biggest stars on the team come to fanfest?  I don't remember Cal Ripken ever showing up to one.

Something tells me you'll be booing Manny no matter where he goes.  Just a hunch.

Archived