Cobb only thread

interloper

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

Seems like there has been no talk about Cobb in the media for the last few days. Maybe he's not a real person. What if he doesn't exist? There should be something in the rules saying there is no draft pick compensation for free agents who do not actually exist. 

Isn't that fair?

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2018/3/15/17113658/yankees-rumors-alex-cobb-pitching-rotation-depth-jordan-montgomery-lance-lynn

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I had a billion dollar asset I would expect a significant ROI.

So that’S not being greedy, but when a player pushes hard to get the best return for their talent they are being greedy? That’s the quote to which I replied. 

Maybe Matt Arnold knows something we don’t

If there is anyone who is familiar with what Alex Cobb brings to the table, it’s Matt Arnold. Milwaukee’s assistant GM was hired as a pro scout by Tampa Bay’s front office in 2006, the year that Cobb was drafted. He was promoted to Director of Professional Scouting in 2009 and stayed in that position until his final season with Tampa Bay, when he was moved up to Director of Player Personnel. He also oversaw Tampa Bay’s biomechanics and human movement analyses at all levels of the organization. Player evaluation is part statistics and part scouting, and Arnold should be intimately familiar with Cobb’s delivery and mechanics and how they figure to hold up over time. It’s highly unlikely that Stearns would ignore the point of view of his next-in-command and his first-hand knowledge of the player in question, so if Arnold is not feeling confident about how Cobb’s profile holds up over the next few seasons, then there is a very slim chance that he lands with the Brewers.

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2018/3/14/17118912/exploring-possible-reasons-why-milwaukee-brewers-have-not-signed-alex-cobb

https://friarsonbase.com/2018/03/14/san-diego-padres-alex-cobb/

Alex Cobb is likely looking for a deal in the $14-$15 million range, for four-to-five years.

Unfortunately, with the happenings in the free-agent world this offseason, that ship has most likely sailed.

As Passan noted in his article, Lance Lynn was searching for a deal in the same neighborhood and had to settle for the one-year agreement he reached with the Twins last week.

If the San Diego Padres were to swoop in and snag Cobb for a healthy, yet cost-effective, $12.5 million per year (even a little more if necessary, but not much) for three years, it could bridge the gap to young studs like Cal Quantrill, MacKenzie Gore, and Joey Lucchesi.

https://bosoxinjection.com/2018/03/14/red-sox-consider-offer-alex-cobb/

Owner John Henry has decreed the Red Sox can exceed the luxury tax or competitive balance tax or whatever they call it when you spend too much that is classified as a detriment to the game.  The Red Sox already have the highest payroll in baseball while the more notoriously extravagant New York Yankees and Los Angeles Dodgers have held the line for a fiscal ...

Alex Cobb remains unsigned and reportedly was in line for a 4-year, $48 million contract, but is that just rumors?  Maybe agent speak?  Maybe wishful thinking?

https://waitingfornextyear.com/2018/03/cleveland-indians-alex-cobb-josh-tomlin-danny-salazar/

So my pitch is this: sign Alex Cobb to a one-year, $10 million deal and move Josh Tomlin to the bullpen. I will explain my rationale for Tomlin to the pen in a moment, but let me first explain why Cobb makes sense. While his 2017 left much to be desired form his career norms, he still posted an above average ground ball percentage, 42nd best in the majors of pitchers that threw at least 100 innings, right behind Clayton Kershaw, while still slightly outperforming his xFIP. Cobb would bring an innings-eating ability to the rotation that Tomlin is less than likely to add, and it comes down to Cobb’s ability to pitch effectively the second and third times through the batting order. There is the issue of Cobb being offered the qualifying offer from Tampa Bay and therefore comes with compensation in the form of a draft pick. 

56 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Seems like there has been no talk about Cobb in the media for the last few days. Maybe he's not a real person. What if he doesn't exist? There should be something in the rules saying there is no draft pick compensation for free agents who do not actually exist. 

Isn't that fair?

Alex Cobb is Keyser Soze. 

15 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Totally unfair comment about Charles Leerhsen's Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty -- especially if you haven't read it, as I'm guessing is the case. 

I agree that Leerhsen’s book was the authoritative bio...an excellent and well researched description that I would recommend highly to all OHers...I would say that while he was correct in blasting the essentially made up myths created by Al Stumpf, he sometimes did overly apologize for Cobb’s behavior ...rationalizing his vicious beating unconscious of teammate Ed Siever by saying well  “how much hazing can one take?”   But it is certainly true that Cobb was not likely an overt racist and he never sharpened spikes, etc and that the Stumpf bio and movie were fiction essentially. 

But having read it, I would agree with this NY Times review...that Cobb was certainly  not a demon racist, but he was a terribly troubled and at times impulsively violent man who alienated many people in his life. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/31/books/review/ty-cobb-a-terrible-beauty-by-charles-leerhsen.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I had a billion dollar asset I would expect a significant ROI.

If you did, can we assume that you would be no longer here on the OH as a notable contributor - as SG?  :ph34r:

And "for the record" (duly noted) I am not on the Alex Cobb bus.  :leaving:

52 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I agree that Leerhsen’s book was the authoritative bio...an excellent and well researched description that I would recommend highly to all OHers...I would say that while he was correct in blasting the essentially made up myths created by Al Stumpf, he sometimes did overly apologize for Cobb’s behavior ...rationalizing his vicious beating unconscious of teammate Ed Siever by saying well  “how much hazing can one take?”   But it is certainly true that Cobb was not likely an overt racist and he never sharpened spikes, etc and that the Stumpf bio and movie were fiction essentially. 

But having read it, I would agree with this NY Times review...that Cobb was certainly  not a demon racist, but he was a terribly troubled and at times impulsively violent man who alienated many people in his life. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/31/books/review/ty-cobb-a-terrible-beauty-by-charles-leerhsen.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share

I agree with you and with most of the Times review. Generations of baseball fans have read and heard so often what a totally horrible person and teammate Cobb was that we all believed it, and I'm sure most still do. 

This is getting crazy at this point. Any team that signs him isn't going to get him for the first month of the season essentially. I don't know if his camp is waiting for a team to have a devastating injury and get desperate or waiting until past the deadline where you lose a comp pick. 

On 1/30/2018 at 8:43 PM, raypetty said:

Truth!  Angelos needs to put out some $$$ to stay up with the teams in the AL East if we want to contend.  It's not on Dan, Buck or Brady.

Money like Tampa has spent during their run?

Archived