Cobb only thread

interloper

17 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

We shall see.  You heard it here first.   Suppose he has a major illness but is still alive?  Will he hire the GM then?   Do you think he and his heirs have not considered that sometimes things happen to 89 year old individuals?  I think they have probably talked about it a time or two.  I have certainly  talked about it with my similarly aged father. 

I think they already have an understanding with Buck to take over the GM job next year.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think DD won't come back and will be a GM with another team as soon as his contract expires.   Andy Macphail didn't want an extension and he never managed to win 70 games in a season.   

We don't hear the stories about Angelos from the GMs but I am sure they tell them to other people in the league.   I expect either Brady is GM immediately or after an embarrassing amount of candidates turn down the position. 

7 hours ago, weams said:

I think that Buck, Dan, and Brady have had this team winning on smoke an mirrors. There has been no real organization-wide approach improvement that was not specifically a result of anyone other than these three.  I will be very sorry when any of them leave. The team will be really bad. 

Truth!  Angelos needs to put out some $$$ to stay up with the teams in the AL East if we want to contend.  It's not on Dan, Buck or Brady.

1 hour ago, raypetty said:

Truth!  Angelos needs to put out some $$$ to stay up with the teams in the AL East if we want to contend.  It's not on Dan, Buck or Brady.

The problem is not that Angelos isn't spending money. It's the restrictions he imposes on how the money is spent, particularly on pitching and international talent. 

1 hour ago, Os84 said:

The problem is not that Angelos isn't spending money. It's the restrictions he imposes on how the money is spent, particularly on pitching and international talent. 

And locking up too much money in Davis when you know Manny is going to be a free agent.  Plus Davis was too risky to begin with, wrong side of 30 and too inconsistent.  

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

If the Lerners do botch Rizzo, he’ll probably have better options than working for Peter Angelos.  

I don't understand all the Rizzo love. I don't think he's a particularly good GM. He lucked into two generational players in back-to-back drafts and his teams have not won a playoff series...ever. The O's have a pretty good head-to-head %.  His owners are willing to spend big money and he seems to be Scott Boras' go to guy. I think he has woefully under-achieved!

14 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I wouldn't worry about Dan being back.  Frankly at this pace the Orioles response to getting a new GM next year will be Brady announcing "We aren't happy with where the market is so we are going to let it percolate.  We weren't happy with the medicals on the candidates we have reviewed."

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss

1 hour ago, MCO'sFan said:

I don't understand all the Rizzo love. I don't think he's a particularly good GM. He lucked into two generational players in back-to-back drafts and his teams have not won a playoff series...ever. The O's have a pretty good head-to-head %.  His owners are willing to spend big money and he seems to be Scott Boras' go to guy. I think he has woefully under-achieved!

Spot on!

1 hour ago, MCO'sFan said:

Rizzo inherited a terrible team.  Sure he benefited from Harper and Strasburg.  The Nationals success comes from much more than those two.  He does things well in all facets of player acquisition: draft, trade, international, high-end FA, mid-tier FA.  He turned Steven Souza and Travis Ott into Trea Turner and Joe Ross.  Acquired a top 5-10 prospect in all of baseball through international signings.  Snagged another in the top 100.  Traded Christian Guzman for a middling pitching prospect who has provided 14.1 WAR and over 750 IP in his first four controlled years.  They developed a sixth round draft pick as their starting CFer.  For similar money that the O's spent on Trumbo, they get a 2B who has put up seasons of 155 and 136+ OPS seasons.  Made a 4-1 trade to get Gio Gonzalez.  Two of those guys, Cole and Millone are back in the organization.  He murdered that trade.  His Eaton trade hasn't paid dividends yet because of the injury, but they may still end up winning that when it's all said and done.  

And his team is built for the long haul, even if they lose Harper and Murphy to FA.  Four out of the last six seasons with 95 or more wins.  

Rizzo is an excellent team builder.

41 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Rizzo inherited a terrible team.  Sure he benefited from Harper and Strasburg.  The Nationals success comes from much more than those two.  He does things well in all facets of player acquisition: draft, trade, international, high-end FA, mid-tier FA.  He turned Steven Souza and Travis Ott into Trea Turner and Joe Ross.  Acquired a top 5-10 prospect in all of baseball through international signings.  Snagged another in the top 100.  Traded Christian Guzman for a middling pitching prospect who has provided 14.1 WAR and over 750 IP in his first four controlled years.  They developed a sixth round draft pick as their starting CFer.  For similar money that the O's spent on Trumbo, they get a 2B who has put up seasons of 155 and 136+ OPS seasons.  Made a 4-1 trade to get Gio Gonzalez.  Two of those guys, Cole and Millone are back in the organization.  He murdered that trade.  His Eaton trade hasn't paid dividends yet because of the injury, but they may still end up winning that when it's all said and done.  

And his team is built for the long haul, even if they lose Harper and Murphy to FA.  Four out of the last six seasons with 95 or more wins.  

Rizzo is an excellent team builder.

All that sounds great except...they have not won when it mattered. They play in one of the weakest divisions in baseball. I view them as a paper tiger. All the prospect rankings are meaningless unless they translate to winning at the big league level. From your write up they should have three rings by now. But, none of what you wrote matters, if they can't actually win a playoff series.

Archived