Jomar Reyes 2018/2019

Luke-OH

Reyes continues to rake.  He has played in 16 August games to a 1017 obp.  Only one walk in the last 10 games against six Ks.  His K ratio of 1 every six ABs in August is his best of the season and he has 8 xbhs in 53 ABs - better than 1 for every 7 ABs.

Reyes' slugging of 642 in August is better than his OPS in April and June. Quite a stunning turnaround in production.

Feels like he's been around forever, but he's still just 21 years old. At 22 years old in Bowie, he could still jump back into the prospect discussion. It's exciting to see him show some power numbers. Remember reports that he had great raw power, but never translated to game action. If he can get to that, it's a game changer. 

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Since the all-star break he's hit...

.336/.411/.558 with 10 2B and 5 HR in 33 games.

.969 OPS, 10.1% BB, 15.5% K, .222 ISO

A note I've made a couple times on the minors forum, but I'll say it again here...

He had no effort at the beginning of the season, in two live and a handful more video looks, his effort level was abysmal. This hadn't been an issue for him in the past, yes, maturity issues, but he always played hard. If I had to guess, he was probably disappoint at repeating Bowie after a strong finish to his 2017 season and he took it in an immature way.

I saw him live again just after the break and the dude was hustling like his life depended on it every play. Just playing really hard, head in the game. 

So, the tools are there but something's wrong when a talented player couldn't get motivated to play well for the first half of the season - whether it's maturity or a larger issue.  Whatever it is, him dealing with that long-term is probably more important than how his baseball career goes.  If he does well in baseball, that's a bonus.   

1 minute ago, Rene88 said:

Corn and I disagree strongly on this. I thought he should have been promoted to Bowie by now. I think his struggles are a mental one, just my feelings. 

We do?

You know you voice too many opinions when you start forgetting them.

I don't recall saying much about Reyes.

Hope I'm not sleep posting, that would be embarrassing.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

We do?

You know you voice too many opinions when you start forgetting them.

I don't recall saying much about Reyes.

Hope I'm not sleep posting, that would be embarrassing.

You said he wasn’t deserving..well in your sarcasm you did.

Reyes with two more base hits tonight.  Reyes OPS is still a very strong .971 in August thought it has slipped with fewer xbhs in last five games or so.  Still, Reyes appears poised to post the best K/AB ratio of the season in August by pushing that rate to less than 1 in 7 ABs.

I know Tony threw some shade on Reyes earlier in the thread, but he is putting up very strong numbers to close out the season in Frederick.

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, scbalt52 said:

Bumping this for 2019. I have always like Reyes for some reason. .857 OPS so far this year.

Because he was really hyped around this site (and probably others) a couple/few years ago. Production haven't met his physical stature yet. Hopefully that's beginning to change, but 4 years at a level is a tough prospect profile.

• Luke-OH changed the title to Jomar Reyes 2018/2019
8 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Because he was really hyped around this site (and probably others) a couple/few years ago. Production haven't met his physical stature yet. Hopefully that's beginning to change, but 4 years at a level is a tough prospect profile.

Maybe he just likes the town? A lot of talent makes its way to downtown Fredrick these days. 

• 2 months later...

Maybe things are on the upswing:

Frederick Keys News Release

For Immediate Release: July 8, 2019

REYES NAMED CAROLINA LEAGUE PLAYER OF THE WEEK

FOUR MULTI-HIT PERMORANCES CAP OFF HOT JULY START

FREDERICK, MD – Keys’ third-baseman Jomar Reyes was named the Carolina League Player of the Week for July 1-7, the league office announced on Monday. It is the third time a Keys player has received a weekly honor in 2019 and the first weekly award for Reyes since 2017.

Reyes, 22, had a scorching first week of July. He slashed .500/.522/.682 with a 1.204 OPS in six games. During this time, he went 11-for-22 at the plate with a double, a home run, five RBIs and a pair of runs scored.

After logging three hits in the series opener against the Lynchburg Hillcats on Monday, July 1, Reyes carried the Keys in game two of a doubleheader on July 3. Despite a 6-4 loss, Reyes knocked in all four runs. He tied the game with an RBI single and gave the Keys a 3-2 edge by blasting his fifth home run of the season. Reyes then gave Frederick an insurance run with another RBI base hit before the Hillcats completed a late comeback.

The Dominican Republic native capped off his week with back-to-back multi-hit games on Saturday and Sunday. Against Carolina, Reyes tallied his 14th double of the season and scored a run. On Sunday, Reyes stroked a pair of hits and a walk before Winston-Salem walked-off in extra innings.

The hot week raised the third baseman’s’ batting average from .243 to .263 on the season. In his fourth season with the Keys, Reyes has slashed .263/.307/.365 with 32 RBIs in 73 games.

On the last day of the first half this season (June 16), Reyes surpassed Billy Rowell as the all-time leader in games played with Frederick with his 349th contest in a Keys uniform. He was signed by the Orioles back in 2014 out of the Dominican Republic.

Frederick will wrap up a three-game series at Winston-Salem with games on Monday and Tuesday before returning to Nymeo Field for a six-game game homestand. The weekend features several promotions. On Saturday, July 13, the Keys will change their name for one night to the “Frederick Cheese” and wear cheese-themed jerseys that will be auctioned off via the LiveSource app. All proceeds raised go to Play4TheCure. Postgame fireworks will follow presented by Goodwill Industries of Monocacy Valley and Platoon 22. On Sunday, July 14, the Keys celebrate National Buy Your Dad a Beer Day presented by Flying Dog Brewery by including a complimentary 16 oz. Flying Dog beer for Dad with two general admission tickets. Special food options will be available at a discounted rate and all Flying Dog varieties in the Flying Dog Hop Deck will be $2 off their normal price. Fans can purchase tickets by calling the box office at 301-815-9939 or visiting frederickkeys.com.

The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Following the 2018 season, the Keys were named the winner of the Carolina League’s Complete Franchise Award. This goes to a team in the league which demonstrates franchise stability and significant contributions to its community and the league. In 2019, the team will host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at GArnold@FrederickKeys.com.

www.FrederickKeys.com-

Attachments area

• Thanks 1