Jomar Reyes 2018/2019

Luke-OH

Jomar Reyes, who just turned 21, made his first major league spring training start today. He hit a home run and impressed Buck enough to garner this praise:

“You watch him, if you’re a scout from another team, you come in here, you’re writing something down about him,” Showalter said. “The thing I liked the most today was his calmness defensively. He can really throw and he is really engaged in the defensive side. He is going to be fun to watch this year and see his progress. He is the type of guy that could really pop.”

From Melewski's blog: http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/03/wrapping-up-tillmans-outing-and-the-os-4-2-victory.html

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems like he's been around so long but still just turned 21 - amazing.  My guess is that public positive talk form Buck is exactly the right thing for him at this stage of development.  Looking forward to following his progress this season.  

• 4 months later...

So Reyes has had an awful season.

When I saw him early in the year, the effort level was pathetically bad. That's not usual for him though, he was a high effort, extremely competitive guy in looks last year.

I saw him on the 13th of July and although he didn't have a good game, his effort level was back, sprinting everything out, engaged in ABs, etc.

I just noticed that he's slashing .317/.400/.483 in July with 8 BB and 9 Ks, still not showing the kind of over the fence pop that he's capable of (he has trouble lifting the ball in game). Still only 21, I think maybe he got discouraged by repeating Frederick and hopefully he's learned from the mistake of letting it affect his play. His tools are still there, double plus arm and raw power, plus bat speed. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

So Reyes has had an awful season.

When I saw him early in the year, the effort level was pathetically bad. That's not usual for him though, he was a high effort, extremely competitive guy in looks last year.

I saw him on the 13th of July and although he didn't have a good game, his effort level was back, sprinting everything out, engaged in ABs, etc.

I just noticed that he's slashing .317/.400/.483 in July with 8 BB and 9 Ks, still not showing the kind of over the fence pop that he's capable of (he has trouble lifting the ball in game). Still only 21, I think maybe he got discouraged by repeating Frederick and hopefully he's learned from the mistake of letting it affect his play. His tools are still there, double plus arm and raw power, plus bat speed. 

Sometimes it’s easy to forget these guys are kids and we all have a different maturation timeline.  I hope Jomar winds up fulfilling somd of that potential.

2 minutes ago, Punchandjudy said:

Sometimes it’s easy to forget these guys are kids and we all have a different maturation timeline.  I hope Jomar winds up fulfilling somd of that potential.

Yeah, his prospect shine has dulled considerably, but it's definitely not too late for him. 

Someone needs to tell Luke that I am the Early Trend Guy at this website!

I am surprised I haven't looked him up because I am a big Reyes fan, but Luke is right - Reyes has caught fire.

Last 10 games, hitting .468 with 14 hits in 32 ABs.  In that span, Reyes is in line with a crucial Billy Beane MoneyBall metric - he has both as many or more BBs (6) and XBHs (5) as he has strikeouts (5).  I believe that includes 4 xbh in the last three games.  

Reyes has around 980 ABs in Frederick since 2016 and has put up very poor stats in that time.  His OPS in 2018 of .635 is over 130 points below last year.

It is hard to find anything meaningfully new in the ratios and we don't really know how healthy he has been, but he is en fuego right now showing both plate discipline and power in a recent span of games that has been fairly rare this year and probably for most of his time in Frederick.  His best monthly results in Frederick are .797 OPS in April 2017 (in months in which he played in over 5 games) - so July would be his best month in Frederick if he keeps this up.

IMO, if any prospect could return to prior prospect status or something close, only Sedlock could match Reyes in the impact that would have to our system.

Keep it up, Jomar!

• Upvote 2