Justin Turner out with broken wrist

joelala

I hate to be excited about a player getting hurt, but is there a more perfect team for this to happen to than the Dodgers, as it pertains to us potentially trading Machado?  I know it's a loooongshot, but he has had a nice spring so far and LA can't afford to fall behind early.  They could move Turner to second when he's healthy again.

1 hour ago, joelala said:

I hate to be excited about a player getting hurt, but is there a more perfect team for this to happen to than the Dodgers, as it pertains to us potentially trading Machado?  I know it's a loooongshot, but he has had a nice spring so far and LA can't afford to fall behind early.  They could move Turner to second when he's healthy again.

Machado will not be traded in my opinion. 

4 hours ago, joelala said:

I like the spirit and it would be the right move but the Orioles ownership is incompetent with no long-term plan. They won’t trade Manny and they won’t invest in starting pitching. As a result, we probably will be stuck in mediocrity for another 35 years. 1983 was our last championship and no signs of getting close again without changing their philosophy. They could have gotten nice packages for Britton, Manny, Schoop but like 2 of 3, if not all 3, will leave without Little compensation. 

12 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I like the spirit and it would be the right move but the Orioles ownership is incompetent with no long-term plan. They won’t trade Manny and they won’t invest in starting pitching. As a result, we probably will be stuck in mediocrity for another 35 years. 1983 was our last championship and no signs of getting close again without changing their philosophy. They could have gotten nice packages for Britton, Manny, Schoop but like 2 of 3, if not all 3, will leave without Little compensation. 

2020 is going to be a great year for Orioles baseball. I can feel the magic now. Book it.

2 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Agree with all of this except the 35 years part.  I like to think that once Peter relinquishes control, we will see some more progressive decisions being made regarding the international market.  That, to me, is the only thing truly holding us back right now.  This is baseless speculation and wishful thinking on my part, but a man can dream.

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Turner will be out for two months at most.

Like I said, he could slide over to 2b when he comes back.  As of now I believe LA is planning on platooning Austin Barnes and Logan Forsythe there.  That leaves a fair amount to be desired.  Also, two months until he's back, but how long until he's 100% and not rusty?  LA has to be starving  for a championship after last year's heartbreak.  Not saying we'll do it, but the iron is hot.

7 hours ago, joelala said:

He'll probably be back in mid-May. Their schedule until that point looks like this: Giants, Diamondbacks, Giants, Athletics, Diamondbacks, Padres, Nationals, Marlins, Giants, Diamondbacks, Padres, Diamondbacks, Reds, Marlins. 

Besides the D'Backs and Nationals - that's a really easy schedule. I can't see the Dodgers parting with what a Machado trade would require for such an easy, short stretch of games. 

July 31st - different story. 

Machado will be with the O's to start the season. At this point a trade would be ridiculously hard to sell to a fan base that has been told they're not selling. I could see him traded at the deadline but definitely not this early.

7 hours ago, joelala said:

Yes, the Dodgers match up well with the Orioles in a Machado trade, but no, I don't see it happening.  I don't see the Orioles even fielding offers for Manny until late June at the earliest.

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I love you're thinking, but unfortunately the Orioles are half-heartedly "all in" this season and are perfectly fine falling off a cliff in 2019 when Machado leaves. 

Sad but true.

I wonder if the Dodgers would make Buehler available in a hypothetical Manny trade.  

27 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Yes, the Dodgers match up well with the Orioles in a Machado trade, but no, I don't see it happening.  I don't see the Orioles even fielding offers for Manny until late June at the earliest.

I might be wrong here - but midseason acquisitions count toward the luxury tax, right? That could make things more difficult.

26 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I love you're thinking, but unfortunately the Orioles are half-heartedly "all in" this season and are perfectly fine falling off a cliff in 2019 when Machado leaves. 

Even if they wanted to Turner would be back before the O's would agree to terms.  :P

Archived