Sisco vs. Mountcastle

Legend_Of_Joey

*This thought came up from the "Sisco is playing his way off the 25 man roster" thread and I wanted to separate it so it didn't get buried under there. If the admins want to merge it, that's fine.*

I see a lot of people talking about how Mountcastle can hit, but his defense isn't that good and needs to be moved.

Then we have Sisco, who can hit but has had lackluster defense, yet quite a few posters say he needs to be the backup catcher or even the starter.

What is the difference between them? Both have exceptional bats and mediocre (or below) defense, yet more people are on the "Sisco will be fine because he won't cost us" boat. If it's because Sisco rose up thru the levels already, why wasn't he moved before?

If you like Sisco as catcher and don't like Mountcastle at 3rd, why?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

To be completely honest, I haven't really scouted or seen that many other third basemen. I'll pay more attention from now on.

The reports I read last season made it sound like he was allowing an additional infield hit a game.

That doesn't factor in the missed double plays.  It just sounds very damaging, much worse than Sisco throwing like 2017 Joseph.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A few reasons.

1. I think Sisco's bat is more plus for a catcher than Mountcastle's will be at third.
  2. I think Mountcastle's issues on defense will cost the Orioles more runs than Sisco's at catcher.
  3. I think catcher is more a position of need.

I agree. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The reports I read last season made it sound like he was allowing an additional infield hit a game.

That doesn't factor in the missed double plays.  It just sounds very damaging, much worse than Sisco throwing like 2017 Joseph.

Sisco's defense ONLY becomes an issue with runners on base. Call a good game and keep them off as you can and I;'ll deal with it. Plus, I have not given up on Mountcastle. He can always play first when the Orioles trade Davis...

To state the obvious, Sisco played a full year of AAA baseball, while Mountcastle has played less than two months of AA and hit very poorly there.     There’s no real comparison between them.   

Also, we have a need at C, and don’t have one at SS/3B.

Sisco can still become a better than average C because throwing is just one of many things that a catcher has to do.  Handling pitchers, framing pitches, and catching balls thrown in the dirt are all more important, imo.  At 3B, it's a requirement that you throw well.  I'm still very much excited about Mountcastle's future, but I think the O's haven't done a particularly good job of finding him a position that makes sense for him.  But he's still 21, so there's still time.    

Archived