Last minute roster news.

weams

6 minutes ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

I bet it’ll be Castro unless Wright looks really awful. They want to stretch him out as a starter at AAA, even though I’m not sure it’s a great idea. Definitely expect him optioned when Cobb is ready.

Hard to say. You can make an argument either way. He does make sense to stretch him out some. That said since Cobb was signed he is more important at the MLB level   

They may think Wright will sneak through waivers easier about 10 days into the season  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Tells me he is going to play a lot until Trumbo is here. Only other explanation is over an opt out or didn’t want to upset him. 

Who cares if he is upset?

As for an opt out, he had one last year and he didn't exercise it, so I'm guessing no other team was particularly interested in him.

Near as I can tell that is exactly one team interested in him as a ballplayer.  That doesn't give him a lot of leverage.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who cares if he is upset?

As for an opt out, he had one last year and he didn't exercise it, so I'm guessing no other team was particularly interested in him.

Near as I can tell that is exactly one team interested in him as a ballplayer.  That doesn't give him a lot of leverage.

My point about him being upset is if they really want to keep him for insurance.

I agree he isn’t in high demand but if they don’t call him up with Trumbo out he may say why would I stay here? 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

My point about him being upset is if they really want to keep him for insurance.

I agree he isn’t in high demand but if they don’t call him up with Trumbo out he may say why would I stay here

Because he doesn't want to play in the KBO?

40 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'm not real happy that Wright made the team.   He looked this spring a lot like he has for the last three years.  I would rather have put him through waivers on the day before opening day and kept Joely.

I didn’t realize that Joely has an opt out in his contract if he can find a team that will put him on the 25-man roster.    Now that I know that, I do question keeping Wright over Joely.    It would be upsetting to lose him.  

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t realize that Joely has an opt out in his contract if he can find a team that will put him on the 25-man roster.    Now that I know that, I do question keeping Wright over Joely.    It would be upsetting to lose him.  

From MASN.com

Rodriguez has an opt-out in his contract later if another team puts him on its 25-man roster.

I think the important word here is later.   As in not  now.

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hopefully Joely would give us a chance to match an offer. At that time I’d DFA Wright or option Castro. Castro wouldn’t deserve it, but it’s best to keep as much depth as possible. 

30 minutes ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

That’s fair. Certainly haven’t seen that all spring. Must’ve looked pretty good

Touched 98. Threw a change in the 80's for strikes to lefties, nasty slider to the righties. Hoskins got two looks at Castro and struck out on the slider both times.

Archived