How do the Orioles compare with the AL East at every position?

PaulFolk

53 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think you could make a case for Beckham ahead of Devers. Devers may have a slight edge with the bat but Beckham destroys him defensively.

I don't agree. Given Beckham or Devers for both the long haul and just for one year, I take Devers every time. I'll give you defense for Beckham, but I think the offensive difference is far bigger than you do.

22 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I don't agree. Given Beckham or Devers for both the long haul and just for one year, I take Devers every time. I'll give you defense for Beckham, but I think the offensive difference is far bigger than you do.

I imagine this question hinges on whether you think Beckham's start in Baltimore was a short-term statistical blip or indicative of him unlocking the potential that made him 1-1.

3 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Greg Bird out 6-8 weeks with a bad ankle.  So the rankings are already outdated.  :D

Too bad for him though - looks like he could be one of those oft-injured guys.

Yeah, I originally had Bird ranked third, ahead of Davis. I flipped them when Bird got injured (but before it was announced how long he'd be out).

Looks like Neil Walker will be moving over to first base while Bird's out. I'd probably put him in the same spot Bird was (fourth). But then I would have to redo the 2B rankings, too, with whoever's replacing Walker there.

Everyday player wise the O's can match up with the Yankees and Red Sox.

I think we have the best IF and our OF is vastly improved. Our BP should be good and If the starters can eat a few more innings, the BP could ve even better. If our SP is just decent to slightly above average, the AL East gap isn't as great as people may think.

23 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Everyday player wise the O's can match up with the Yankees and Red Sox.

I think we have the best IF and our OF is vastly improved. Our BP should be good and If the starters can eat a few more innings, the BP could ve even better. If our SP is just decent to slightly above average, the AL East gap isn't as great as people may think.

I agree. It looks like the season is going to be about what are we going to get from Tillman, and can/when Britton come back?

6 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I would go with Devers as well. There's a lot of upside there. 

On the other hand, this ranking system doesn't lend itself to giving credit for versatility, and Beckham's adds value. 

7 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I think you could make a case for Beckham ahead of Devers. Devers may have a slight edge with the bat but Beckham destroys him defensively.

I don't know how we can be sure that Beckham destroys Devers defensively, considering Beckham is moving to a position he's almost never played in the majors. He could be better than Devers, but he needs to prove it first.

Archived