They’re not great but they don’t have to be awful either.   AL attendance rank:

2011 -  11th

2012 - 7th

2013 - 8th

2014 - 6th

2015 - 8th

2016 - 9th

2017 - 12th

I’ve posted about this numerous times, but the O’s were 5th in 2005, the first year the Nats were in DC, even though the Nats drew more fans that year than in any subsequent season.    So, I don’t feel that their attendance decline since then can be significantly blamed on the Nats.     

I think the slow offseason probably cost a couple hundred thousand tickets in season ticket plan sales.     Maybe they can make up some of it if the team stays in the race all year.    But attendance went down from 2015 to 2016 even though the ‘16 team was better and was in a playoff race that went down to the final day of the season.    

Orioles were in first place at the All-Star break. Right?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, weams said:

Orioles were in first place at the All-Star break. Right?

In ‘05?    Yes.    But they also had drawn even better the year before.

I don’t want to re-argue everything that’s happened the last 15 years.   Focusing on the last 5, I do think the 2015 riots and recent increases in crime clearly have hurt attendance.   I personally think it’s a bit silly (as the area around the stadium is very safe, particularly with 10-40,000 fans milling around), but it’s still a fact.   But there’s also the perception that the team isn’t as good as it was a few years ago.

Poor planning IMO for yesterday's game to not have been a day game.  Someone mentioned yesterday it may have been to increase TV ratings.  With the Final Four known to coincide with a 7:05 start, Orioles TV audience would have been down.  Can't get that concession cash if there's no one at the game.

2 hours ago, weams said:

The Orioles were in first place at the All-Star break. Right?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

In 05? Yes. But they also had drawn even better the year before.

o

Not at the All-Star break.

They were in 1st place up until June 23rd.

They were 2 games back by the All-Star break.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2005-schedule-scores.shtml

The rapid descent that season had most Oriole fans fearing a repetition of that ill-fated campaign 7 years later, in 2012. They went 7-17 over a one-month period between June 17th to July 17th, falling from 39-27 to 46-44 overall. At that point most of us were thinking, "Here we going again." But the Orioles and their depleted pitching staff called up Tommy Hunter from AAA-Norfolk, and he pitched 7.33 innings of 1-run ball to give the Orioles a badly-needed win over the Twins. That began a 5-game winning streak, pushing the Orioles back up to 51-44 overall. Beginning with that Tommy Hunter game until the end of that season, the Orioles went 47-25 over their final 72 games, securing their first winning season (and their first playoff berth) since 1997.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2012-schedule-scores.shtml

o

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

In ‘05?    Yes.    But they also had drawn even better the year before.

I don’t want to re-argue everything that’s happened the last 15 years.   Focusing on the last 5, I do think the 2015 riots and recent increases in crime clearly have hurt attendance.   I personally think it’s a bit silly (as the area around the stadium is very safe, particularly with 10-40,000 fans milling around), but it’s still a fact.   But there’s also the perception that the team isn’t as good as it was a few years ago.

It broke out into pickles pub. People remember that. Is it a slim chance it happens? Yes. Do people fear being part of that slim chance? Yes.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

They’re not great but they don’t have to be awful either.   AL attendance rank:

2011 -  11th

2012 - 7th

2013 - 8th

2014 - 6th

2015 - 8th

2016 - 9th

2017 - 12th

I’ve posted about this numerous times, but the O’s were 5th in 2005, the first year the Nats were in DC, even though the Nats drew more fans that year than in any subsequent season.    So, I don’t feel that their attendance decline since then can be significantly blamed on the Nats.     

I think the slow offseason probably cost a couple hundred thousand tickets in season ticket plan sales.     Maybe they can make up some of it if the team stays in the race all year.    But attendance went down from 2015 to 2016 even though the ‘16 team was better and was in a playoff race that went down to the final day of the season.    

I suspect a lot of business and corporate season ticket buyers that were in the DC suburbs of both MD and VA gradually migrated over the last ten years and  now almost all buy Nats. 

10 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I suspect a lot of business and corporate season ticket buyers that were in the DC suburbs of both MD and VA gradually migrated over the last ten years and  now almost all buy Nats. 

I grew up in Northern Va and agree

Archived