2018 Chris Tillman

Il BuonO

8 minutes ago, esmd said:

This is sad to watch.  The Orioles need to put him out of his misery, because he clearly won't do it himself.  When he's cut loose, I can't even see a team signing him to a minor league deal at this point.  At this point, all he's doing is taking up innings that should be going to prospects.

I am starting to wonder if the Orioles have guilt pitching him in 2016 after his initial injury. I mean that was the year he got hurt and winds up starting the playoff game. 

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, eddie83 said:

Perhaps they could bring him back for one more outing at Camden Yards as a going away present in September. 

Present to whom, the team they’re playing?    No thanks.    We’ve already given Tillman $3 mm as a going away present.    

As an aside, I still can’t get my mind around how Tillman pitched a 7 inning one-hitter back on April 27.    Just goes to show how anything can happen on a given night.  

8 hours ago, Barnaby Graves said:

I can't imagine what it's like to be one of these guys.  Not knowing when to retire.  I don't resent anyone hanging onto a career but he hasn't shown anything except that he is done.  And if he wants to fight that, as a human, I get it.  But eventually you have to reckon with the fact you have one job and you're not good at it which means you have no job after the contract is up.

So many of the guys who are drafted were HS or college studs playing at incomparable levels to their age peers.  Throwing 15-20 MPH harder with infinitely better secondary pitches vs. kids just trying to make varsity.  No matter if it was the 1st round or 50th.  If you were drafted ANYWHERE in the MLB draft you were a man among boys.  If you made a top prospect list you were a superman among pretenders.  And if you escaped the minors to play actual major league baseball, you must've felt like a god.  And then if you had actual success, you held onto a major league roster spot, you played huge games, AND you actually headed a rotation, you must've felt invincibility.

All this to say, who would be capable of genuflection after hitting those heights?  Would Tillman be capable of stopping himself, or retiring, after playing at that level?  Maybe but probably not.  I wouldn't.  It's up to front office personnel to make painful decisions which hurt company men like Tillman.  It'd be gross to bring him up and demoting someone more worthy of a roster spot, which is basically anyone.  He won't be traded for anyone and he could pitch 8 straight perfect games after the trade deadline without bringing back a player, before becoming a free agent.  I'd play Hess before him, or Yacabonis, or tonight's fan of the game, or literally anyone.  He's in A+ getting rocked as a 30-something.  There's no upside to himself or the team.  Just end this charade.

The one thing you seem to have left out is Tillman has over a million dollars in salary owed to him. If he retires he loses that million dollars.  His rehab assignment can only go on for another 8 days. After that if the Orioles release him he gets paid his entire salary for the year.  Otherwise they shut him down.  Either way he gets paid.  Tillman would be a fool to retire at this point.  

Tillman will get 3 million for playing baseball this year. He never got his big free agency pay-out.  He made 22 million before this year.  This year will be 12 percent of his career earnings.  There is no reason for your post.  If you want to get on someone it is the Orioles for signing him when he was clearly done.  No reason to tell Tillman what to do.  I am guessing you wouldn't forgo 12 percent of your career salary by retiring a few months early. 

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Present to whom, the team they’re playing?    No thanks.    We’ve already given Tillman $3 mm as a going away present.    

As an aside, I still can’t get my mind around how Tillman pitched a 7 inning one-hitter back on April 27.    Just goes to show how anything can happen on a given night.  

The entire season has been a present to the rest of the AL.  

As long as there was an opening on the 40 man I would have no issue with it. 

5 hours ago, amdcpus said:

I think they're giving Tilly the minor league farewell tour. Pitched for Aberdeen, Delmarva, Frederick and Norfolk and just has to check off Bowie now.

There's always softball. 

Archived