2018 Mike Wright

Frobby

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He's starting to use his 4S for swing and miss up in the zone, which is what he was doing in his most successful AAA stint. He touched 98mph. He's still throwing the stupid cutter he added to try and be a starter. 

He should just be a 1-2 inning FB/SL reliever who sits 96-98mph with an above average slider (which he used to have before he started with the cutter), maybe throw a change every once in a while to keep lefties honest. I don't think he has the command to be particularly good in that role, but he'd be MLB quality.

His change was actually his best offspeed delivery at one time so it's there. The problem with Wright has always been a lack of consistency from inning to inning, and a lack of a swing and miss pitch.

Of late his stuff has been a bit more consistent and if that 4-seamer up in the zone can become a K pitch for him then that would be a big step for him.

I said from about year two in the system that his best role would be a power reliever, but I perhaps long man will end up being his best role.

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

1.52 whip ain't great.

I believe this is a mirage.  He'll be back to his old tricks soon enough.

Last 7 games:

2.45 ERA, 14.2 IP, 1.36 WHIP, 12 K

I don't think he's 1.67 ERA good, but I think mid 3 ERA is a reasonable description of his current talent level.

4 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

Last 7 games:

I don't think he's 1.67 ERA good, but I think mid 3 ERA is a reasonable description of his current talent level.

I wonder what kind of "haul" he'd bring?  ⚾

JH_RV_Combo.png?3c2373e7=1394049528

5 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I wonder what kind of "haul" he'd bring?  ⚾

JH_RV_Combo.png?3c2373e7=1394049528

He might even bring in more than Tilly could. Package would have to be pretty good though, Tilly could be a real threat as the #5 man for the Ironbirds.

Let Wright keep pitching, maybe he can actually become a dependable member of the pen.  They'll need it next year (and hopefully the remainder of this year) with Britton and Brach gone.

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think he's good at all.

Wright has gone through stretches of pitching very well in the minors for an extended period of time, but eventually the inconsistencies come back. We'll see if this is another stretch. I'm not convinced this is more than a good stretch, but no reason not to keep him in this role for now and see what it leads to.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Wright has gone through stretches of pitching very well in the minors for an extended period of time, but eventually the inconsistencies come back. We'll see if this is another stretch. I'm not convinced this is more than a good stretch, but no reason not to keep him in this role for now and see what it leads to.

I agree, keep trotting him out there and seeing if this is for real or not.  At least he's shown that he's open to coaching, cleaning up mechanics.  I've been very hard on him but I'd be happy as anyone else to see him turn things around for the future.

1 hour ago, amdcpus said:

Last 7 games:

37 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think he's good at all.

His body of evidence suggests Moose is right.  But he has also always flashed ability.  I am encouraged to see a flash at the MLB level and encouraged at the results.  Let's give him a chance to build on it.  I'd certainly rather see him than Tillman at this point.  The season is lost.  Lets see if we can grind some of these bodies into pitchers.

34 minutes ago, foxfield said:

His body of evidence suggests Moose is right.  But he has also always flashed ability.  I am encouraged to see a flash at the MLB level and encouraged at the results.  Let's give him a chance to build on it.  I'd certainly rather see him than Tillman at this point.  The season is lost.  Lets see if we can grind some of these bodies into pitchers.

i'm no going to lie, I'd rather see anyone in the system than Tillman at this point. He needs to do the right thing and retire and if he doesn't, the Orioles need to release Tillman. I think next up for a chance is John Means. Means has a 2.28 ERA and 38 Ks and 3 BBs in his last 6 starts, 

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

i'm no going to lie, I'd rather see anyone in the system than Tillman at this point. He needs to do the right thing and retire and if he doesn't, the Orioles need to release Tillman. I think next up for a chance is John Means. Means has a 2.28 ERA and 38 Ks and 3 BBs in his last 6 starts, 

I'd rather see "Itchy Shoe" pitch at this point than Tillman.

Archived