David Hess 2018

Rene88

o

12 OUTS: ) 6 Groundouts, 4 Strikeouts, 2 Flyouts

DAVIJAMES "D.J." HESS  ))))))) (vs. BRAVES, 6/24)

IP:lll4

H:lll 7 )) (3 Doubles, 4 Singles)

R:llll 5

BB:ll2

SO:ll4

Pitches: )l 93(63 )Strikes, )30 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 5.44  )  41.33 IP  (25 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.476  )  41.33 IP  (61 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .272  )  (44 for 162)

PITCHES BY INNING

27 ll(17 llStrikes, l10 llllBalls)

16 lll(12 llStrikes, lll41 llBalls)

37 ll(25 llStrikes, l12 llllBalls)

14 lll(10 llStrikes, lll41 llBalls)

o

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/7/2018 at 10:15 PM, Rene88 said:

Where are the comments about the league will figure him out or he hasn’t faced a good hitting team?

Those things are starting to become concerns.   5.44 ERA, 1.48 WHIP after today’s outing.   Hopefully he bounces back next outing.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Those things are starting to become concerns.   5.44 ERA, 1.48 WHIP after today’s outing.   Hopefully he bounces back next outing.  

His command hasn't been there the last 3 games. I know he had rough stretches in the minors, but he usually bounced back midway thru the second game atleast.

Maybe he needs to use the minor league balls?

On 6/24/2018 at 3:07 PM, OFFNY said:

o

In my rat's ass of an opinion, it is still too early to tell one way or the other (in regard to Hess' effectiveness as a Major League pitcher.)

And because the Orioles are helplessly out of the playoff picture this season, they can afford to keep sending him out there to get a larger sample size of what he can (or cannot) do.

o

o

Well, Steve Melewski agrees with me.

There is no reason to do anything else with Hess right now but give him another chance in five more days. During this lost season, the Orioles need to identify who can help them work toward a better day in the future. Hess has found his way into the rotation, and he should just stay there.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/06/hess-struggles-davis-returns-and-other-notes.html

o

9 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Well, Steve Melewski agrees with me.

There is no reason to do anything else with Hess right now but give him another chance in five more days. During this lost season, the Orioles need to identify who can help them work toward a better day in the future. Hess has found his way into the rotation, and he should just stay there.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/06/hess-struggles-davis-returns-and-other-notes.html

o

I don't recall anyone suggesting anything other than letting Hess continue to start.

Folks were just pointing out he's been struggling recently.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't recall anyone suggesting anything other than letting Hess continue to start.

Folks were just pointing out the fact that he's been struggling recently.

o

I don't recall saying or insinuating that anyone was asserting that Hess should be removed from the starting rotation.

I was pointing out that somebody (Melewski) was thinking the precise thing that I was thinking.

o

6 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

I don't recall saying or insinuating that anyone was asserting that Hess should be removed from the starting rotation.

I was pointing out that somebody (Melewski) was thinking the precise thing that I was thinking.

o

I think you insinuated it.

But sure, if you would rather, yes Melewski agrees with you, and everyone else, that Hess shouldn't be removed from the rotation at this time (Mike Wright might disagree, but if he does he hasn't said anything to me).

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Folks were just pointing out he's been struggling recently.

12 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think you insinuated it.

But sure, if you would rather, yes Melewski agrees with you, and everyone else, that Hess shouldn't be removed from the rotation at this time (Mike Wright might disagree, but if he does he hasn't said anything to me).

o

I did not insinuate it.

You asked me a question in yesterday's game thread, and I answered.

I quoted myself only in my post regarding Melweski's statement.

It's not my fault that you are/were paranoid enough to assume that I was referring to you (and furthermore, asserting that you thought that Hess ought to be removed from the starting rotation.)

o

I wonder how much is adjusting to the best hitters in the world.  If you look at his nine home runs, the are to:

Benintendi (2)

JD Martinez (2)

Bryce Harper

Trea Turner

Curtis Granderson

Rafael Devers

Matt Duffy

He's not giving them up to the 7,8, and 9 spots.  

I also think it's encouraging that he's been pretty even the second and third time through the lineups.  Freeman had the single off of him yesterday, but he got a strikeout and groundout on him after that.  He's got the stuff to get guys out, it's just figuring out sequencing and execution.  

We also have to keep in mind that in most of his starts (I think all except for one) he's had a rookie catcher behind the plate.  So you've basically got two newbies trying to navigate through this.

His future might still be in the 'pen, but I think there's enough positive to keep running him out there.  Not that I'm disagreeing with ANYBODY, but just throwing some more info out there.

4 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

I did not insinuate it.

You asked me a question in yesterday's game thread, and I answered.

I quoted myself only in my post regarding Melweski's statement.

It's not my fault that you are/were paranoid enough to assume that I was referring to you (and furthermore, asserting that you thought that Hess ought to be removed from the starting rotation.)

o

I wasn't suggesting that you were specifically referencing me.  Not sure where you got that from.  I pretty clearly didn't state that I thought Hess should be moved.  If I had thought that way I would have been clear about it.

But for you to mention Melweski in such a matter does mean, to me, that you were insinuating that the opinion wasn't universal.

But of course you have since said that wasn't your intent and I chose to believe you.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wasn't suggesting that you were specifically referencing me.  Not sure where you got that from.  I pretty clearly didn't state that I thought Hess should be moved.  If I had thought that way I would have been clear about it.

But for you to mention Melweski in such a matter does mean, to me, that you were insinuating that the opinion wasn't universal.

But of course you have since said that wasn't your intent and I chose to believe you.

o

I did not say or insinuate anything of the sort. 

I quoted myself from yesterday's game thread, which was a response to a quote from you ......... and you quoted me again today, challenging whether or not I was implicating what others thought.

Stop putting words/intentions in my mouth, and stop dragging me into this pissing match that you started.

o

Just now, OFFNY said:

o

I did not say or insinuate anything of the sort. 

I quoted myself from yesterday's game thread, which was a response to a quote from you ......... and you quoted me again today, challenging whether or not I was implicating what others thought.

Stop putting words/intentions in my mouth, and stop dragging me into this pissing match that you started.

o

I already said I believed you.  Not sure why that wouldn't be enough for you.  Sounds to me like you are the one eager to escalate the situation for whatever reason.

16 minutes ago, OrioleRedenbacher said:

o

I wonder how much is adjusting to the best hitters in the world.  If you look at his nine home runs, the are to:

Benintendi (2)

JD Martinez (2)

Bryce Harper

Trea Turner

Curtis Granderson

Rafael Devers

Matt Duffy

He's not giving them up to the 7,8, and 9 spots.  

I also think it's encouraging that he's been pretty even the second and third time through the lineups.  Freeman had the single off of him yesterday, but he got a strikeout and groundout on him after that.  He's got the stuff to get guys out, it's just figuring out sequencing and execution.  

We also have to keep in mind that in most of his starts (I think all except for one) he's had a rookie catcher behind the plate.  So you've basically got two newbies trying to navigate through this.

His future might still be in the 'pen, but I think there's enough positive to keep running him out there.  Not that I'm disagreeing with ANYBODY, but just throwing some more info out there.

o

o

I generally like what I have seen from Hess so far.

The combination of Jimenez, Miley, and Tillman lowering the bar to an all-time low last year (in regard to the general expectations from the # 3 through #5 starters) with the Orioles awful season this year has made for the perfect storm for him to have an on-the-job training trial in the #5 slot for the team.

o

53 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

I generally like what I have seen from Hess so far.

The combination of Jimenez, Miley, and Tillman lowering the bar to an all-time low last year (in regard to the general expectations from the # 3 through #5 starters) with the Orioles awful season this year has made for the perfect storm for him to have an on-the-job training trial in the #5 slot for the team.

His stuff isn’t great, but as you’ve mentioned it’s good timing. Not a very good CH and needs to be better with FB command. I certainly wanted him to get a chance as opposed to running Tillman out there to keep failing. 

o

17 OUTS: ) 5 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 3 Popouts, 3 Flyouts, 2 Strikeouts, 2 Foulouts, 1 Lineout

DAVIJAMES "D.J." HESS  ))))))) (vs. ANGELS, 6/29)

IP:ll5.67

H:lll 9 )) (1 Home Run, 2 Doubles, 6 Singles)

R:llll 6

BB:ll2 ) * )) *

SO:l.2

Pitches: )l 84(57 )Strikes, )27 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 5.94  )  47.00 IP  (31 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.532  )  47.00 IP  (72 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .283  )  (53 for 187)

* )) Hess also had 1 Hit Batsman

* ... 1 of the Walks was Intentional

PITCHES BY INNING

18 ll(12 llStrikes, ll6 lllBalls)

14 lll(91 llStrikes, ll5 lllBalls)

17 lll(10 llStrikes, ll7 lllBalls)

61 lll(51 llStrikes, ll1 lllBalls)

14 lll(10 llStrikes, ll4 lllBalls)

15 lll(11 llStrikes, ll4 lllBalls) ) *

** )) Hess recorded 2 outs before departing in the 6th inning.

o

Archived