David Hess 2018

Rene88

I thought Hess pitched pretty well last night.  Granted, Toronto's lineup isn't what it was, but they still have some guys that can rake.  He's had his ups and downs this year, but that's really to be expected from most rookie pitchers breaking into the big leagues.  I think he's got potential to be a decent starter for us.  If they do keep Cobb and Cashner, and you figure Bundy and Hess into the rotation next year, that's not awful.  They might not stink as much as we think they will if they can play some defense and hold some leads when they have them.  Granted, I'm talking about losing 85-90 vice losing 95-100, lol.  But still, at least somewhat watchable.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hess is a good example to me of allowing a player to get comfortable in the majors and play through their ups and downs versus sending them back and forth on the Norfolk shuttle because of a few bad outing or his TTTP.  Hess is a competitor and has learned how to work with his stuff through 500+ minor league innings.  We need to end the practice of yo-yo players up and down.  It destroys their confidence and does not allow them to develop and learn in the majors.  The best example is whatever has happened to Cisco this year.  He seems to have been buried because he is not a Buck guy.  Is it any surprise he is deflated and has played poorly upon his third trip back to AAA.  It was somewhat excusable when you were fighting for the playoffs but not at this point.  

It’s nice to see Hess regroup after getting knocked around a while.   

Games 1-5: 29.1 IP, 3.07 ERA

Games 6-12: 24.0 IP, 10.50 ERA

Games 13-16: 24.2 IP, 2.19 ERA

It would be great if he could get his ERA under 5.00 and keep it there.

38 minutes ago, The Goob said:

Hess is a good example to me of allowing a player to get comfortable in the majors and play through their ups and downs versus sending them back and forth on the Norfolk shuttle because of a few bad outing or his TTTP.  Hess is a competitor and has learned how to work with his stuff through 500+ minor league innings.  We need to end the practice of yo-yo players up and down.  It destroys their confidence and does not allow them to develop and learn in the majors.  The best example is whatever has happened to Cisco this year.  He seems to have been buried because he is not a Buck guy.  Is it any surprise he is deflated and has played poorly upon his third trip back to AAA.  It was somewhat excusable when you were fighting for the playoffs but not at this point.  

Inclined to agree, but if someone like Cisco can't handle the adversity of being sent down to AAA then he's not gonna be able to handle the adversity of being in the MLB full time.

1 hour ago, The Goob said:

Hess was demoted and pitched a 9 strikeout gem before his recall. If Gausman and others hadn't been traded, he probably would have stayed down. 

I don't see how you can blame Cisco laying a dud on Buck. The opportunity was there and he wasn't able to take advantage. That is on him. The Orioles have history of wanting C to work on defense in the minors instead of at the major league level. If Cisco improves, then he will get another chance next year to earn the starting job. 

Sisco looked lost at the plate and did nothing defensively. He only had to beat out Caleb Joseph and did not take advantage of the opportunity. Hope he turns it around but I don't see what would have been achieved by keeping him in the majors. Sending him down gave us a chance to look at Wynns, who has been much better.

Sisco not being up here and playing every day is ridiculous, IMO.

44 minutes ago, esmd said:

I get what you guys are saying about Sisco needing to have thicker skin, but they've what, 30-90 something?  Let him play through it and take his lumps.

The guy was under .200 in AAA about two weeks ago.    He’s finally warming up now.    I’m fine with the way they handled him.   

17 minutes ago, esmd said:

And we have several guys hitting around or under .200 here.  He needs to play, IMO, especially on a team that's already lost 90+ games.

Not trying to pile on, but he is playing.  The number of losses in Baltimore are totally unrelated to where he can develop best.

10 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Not trying to pile on, but he is playing.  The number of losses in Baltimore are totally unrelated to where he can develop best.

I get it what you're saying, I just think he should be developing in Baltimore.  He's already played 489 games in the minors, with over 100 games at both Bowie and Norfolk.  He's got nothing left to prove there.

4 hours ago, esmd said:

Oh, and btw, he's hitting .241 with a .674 OPS at Norfolk.  Nothing to write home about, but not horrible, and again, they need to see what he can do up here, not in Norfolk.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=sisco-000cha

Only because he heated up in the last two weeks.  He was ice cold before that.   

Archived