Frobby

2 hours ago, Slappy said:

One thing I didn't see mentioned on this thread enough is the Washington Nationals.

That is the single biggest bomb dropped on the Orioles attendance since the attendance "glory days" of the 1990's.

It didn't hurt them a lot at first, but combined with the 14 consecutive losing seasons and the Nationals turning into a perennial contender (along with some generational new fans), it has really taken its toll in the last several years.

Camden Yards will never see the 3.5, 3.7 million attendance years that it had in the mid-1990's.  Those days are over.  Even with consistent contenders, this metro area alone is only big enough to support 2.5-3 million a year.  Losing DC probably cut our potential market by 1/3rd or more.  

We’ve discussed this many times.   No doubt the presence of the Nats hurts the Orioles’ attendance.   However, (1) the Orioles had lost about 1 million in attendance between 1997 and 2004, before the Nats showed up, and (2) the Nats have never drawn more than they did in 2005, and yet Orioles attendance has dropped significantly since then.    I agree that the days of nightly sellouts will probably never return due to the Nats, but it is mostly losing that has cost us a large chunk of the fan base, irrespective of the Nats.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

13,935 for last night’s game with the Nats.   That’s about half what they drew for a Tuesday game against the Nats last May 9 (26,348).    Granted, a lot of fans who wanted to see a game in this series probably chose the Memorial Day game, which drew over 36,000.    

I was kind of shocked when I tuned in to see Bundy, sweat dripping off his face, turn to the OF and see the empty stands behind him.  Understandable but sad.  I wonder how many show up to see Max do his thing tonight?  I'm excited to watch Hess again and, of course, to enjoy how Max goes about his bidness.

David Hess on Scherzer, from Dan Connolly:

Scherzer has as many Cy Young Awards as Hess has big league starts.

Hess has a sense of humor, though, too.

“Yeah, I don’t know who that Scherzer guy is,” said Hess, cracking a faint smile. “Apparently, he is pretty good, or something like that.”

Hess then laughed, and gushed appropriately about Scherzer.

“Right now, our time, (Scherzer is) one of the great pitchers we have and, maybe, to ever pitch,” Hess said. “So, to get to square off against him is going to be a lot of fun. It’s going to be a challenge for the team, but I think we have everything we need to be successful and have a chance to win.”

Ah, the optimism of a rookie.

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2018/05/30/rookie-hess-facing-harper-squaring-off-scherzer-gonna-fun/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

13,935 for last night’s game with the Nats.   That’s about half what they drew for a Tuesday game against the Nats last May 9 (26,348).    Granted, a lot of fans who wanted to see a game in this series probably chose the Memorial Day game, which drew over 36,000.    

Between that and the cooler backpack giveaway tonight, last night's attendance was bound to be weak.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

In addition to being a holiday afternoon game, Monday was a giveaway day.  My guesstimate is tonight will be somewhere between the last two - there's another giveaway, but some Nats fans (who were quit vocal on Monday) may prefer to stay home and watch the Caps in the Stanley Cup.

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

In addition to being a holiday afternoon game, Monday was a giveaway day.  My guesstimate is tonight will be somewhere between the last two - there's another giveaway, but some Nats fans (who were quit vocal on Monday) may prefer to stay home and watch the Caps in the Stanley Cup.

Yep, I will be there tonight. I culled my schedule to only attend the giveaway games this season. Barring a great weather last minute ticket purchase, it is tough to justify going to that many games.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Yep, I will be there tonight. I culled my schedule to only attend the giveaway games this season. Barring a great weather last minute ticket purchase, it is tough to justify going to that many games.

So you are saying more giveaways.

Chris Davis - Scott Coolbaugh Rock' em

Sock'em Robots.For the collectible toy market.Also another week with Palmer .

Chris Davis booblehead .Head only stares down the third base line.

Buck Garden Troll- pull the string and it keeps repeating that I will bat Davis fourth. Who else?

Manny hair net.Grooming supplies are sold separately  

Bordick video- It Is  Always Sunny In Baltimore.Even if losing 100 ganes.Intro by Jim Hunter.Roch with the synopsis. 

Dan Duquette snow globe.You shake it and it shows someone stopped at the Canadian border by Mounted Angelos .

Brady  Anderson Swiss army knife- It does 101 things but most poorly.

Alex Cobb minor league ball and seance set If you use the ball ,you have to get the evil demons that come with it.

Chris Tillman simulator.Works only when no one is looking or in a real environment. 

The Angelos Family Picnic More dysfunctional then any family.

More great promotions will be coming as the season progresses or digresses.

7 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Buck Garden Troll- pull the string and it keeps repeating that I will bat Davis fourth. Who else?

Bordick video- It Is  Always Sunny In Baltimore.Even if losing 100 ganes.Intro by Jim Hunter.Roch with the synopsis. 

Dan Duquette snow globe.You shake it and it shows someone stopped at the Canadian border by Mounted Angelos .

Alex Cobb minor league ball and seance set If you use the ball ,you have to get the evil demons that come with it.

Chris Tillman simulator.Works only when no one is looking or in a real environment. 

New Promotion .

Gentry Run Wild ,Run Free bonehead bobble head It tries things when you take it home that makes no sense.

o

2 of the scheduled 4 games were rained out.

4-Game Set vs. YANKEES ))))))) (May 31st, June 1st, 2nd, and 3rd)

------ )l) (RAINOUT)

26,500 )l) (58% Full)

32,823 )l) (71% Full)

------ )l) (RAINOUT)

TOTAL lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll  59,323

2-GAME AVERAGEllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 29,662

o

On 5/30/2018 at 2:55 PM, Going Underground said:

This is hilarious! Well done.

• 2 weeks later...

o

Dylan Bundy pitched on Monday.

Dylan Bundy bobbleheads were given away on Tuesday.

Wednesday was ........ Wednesday.

3-Game Set vs. RED SOX ))))))) (June 11th, 12th, and 13th)

15,934 )l) (35% Full)

21,837 )l) (48% Full)

17,217 )l) (37% Full)

TOTAL lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll  54,988

3-GAME AVERAGEllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 18,329

o

50 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Dylan Bundy pitched on Monday.

Dylan Bundy bobbleheads were given away on Tuesday.

Wednesday was ........ Wednesday.

3-Game Set vs. RED SOX ))))))) (June 11th, 12th, and 13th)

15,934 )l) (35% Full)

21,837 )l) (48% Full)

17,217 )l) (37% Full)

TOTAL lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll  54,988

3-GAME AVERAGEllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 18,329

o

Only barely more for a day game on Wednesday vs. the opening night of a series against a division opponent?

Then again, it was about 80% Red Sox fans...

On 5/14/2018 at 9:00 AM, Frobby said:

Games 11-20, 2016: 243,702 (437,967 total through 20 home dates)

Games 11-20, 2017: 273,774 (570,233 total through 20 home dates)

Games 11-20, 2018: 176,958 (371,555 total through 20 home dates)

Games 21-30, 2016: 269,184 (707,851 through 30 home dates)

Games 21-30, 2017: 272,318 (842,551 through 30 home dates)

Games 21-30, 2018: 222,861 (594,416 total through 30 home dates)

Note that in this last 10 game stretch we had home games with the Nats, Yankees and Red Sox, and still drew 50,000 less than in the comparable period last year.    What a bloodbath this year is!

Attendance is down around the league, in part because there are fewer competitive teams.    Here’s a good piece from Fangraphs today:  https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/two-million-baseball-fans-are-missing/.   Note that the Blue Jays and Tigers have dropped even more than the Orioles (but they had more room to drop, too).

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Games 21-30, 2016: 269,184 (707,851 through 30 home dates)

Games 21-30, 2017: 272,318 (842,551 through 30 home dates)

Games 21-30, 2018: 222,861 (594,416 total through 30 home dates)

Note that in this last 10 game stretch we had home games with the Nats, Yankees and Red Sox, and still drew 50,000 less than in the comparable period last year.    What a bloodbath this year is!

Attendance is down around the league, in part because there are fewer competitive teams.    Here’s a good piece from Fangraphs today:  https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/two-million-baseball-fans-are-missing/.   Note that the Blue Jays and Tigers have dropped even more than the Orioles (but they had more room to drop, too).

If you want to see low attendance wait until next year when no one renews their season ticket packages.  

Archived