Gausman's velocity

cheecks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

It's a common thing for pitchers to lose velocity from a very early age.  Averaging numbers out, it's a straight trend downwards for the fastball.

Pitcher-Velocity-and-Wins.png

Pertaining to Gausman I would be a bit worried.  It's a bit unusual for a pitcher to have an unexplained 2.5 MPH reduction in their fastball velocity in just 1 season.

13 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

It's a common thing for pitchers to lose velocity from a very early age.  Averaging numbers out, it's a straight trend downwards for the fastball.

Pitcher-Velocity-and-Wins.png

Based on this, Gausman should be still near his peak.  Is it the cold weather or something more troubling?

8 minutes ago, murph said:

@Luke-OH noted in the game thread Gausman was throwing a lot more 2 seam fastballs than the harder 4 seam.   Still velocity does seem to be down, but out a bad outing at all.   Maybe he’s been watching Bundy.   ?

Pitch Fx is classifying it as a 4S, but it sure looks like it has some 2S movement. I know sometimes pitchFx is slow picking up on new pitches.

He's at least throwing it a bit different.

In 2017, his FB had a -8.13 inch horizontal movement and a 9.5 inch vertical movement.

In this start, his FB had a -6.69 inch horizontal movement and a 11.11 inch vertical movement.

That's a different grip or release, if not a different pitch.

12 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Pitch Fx is classifying it as a 4S, but it sure looks like it has some 2S movement. I know sometimes pitchFx is slow picking up on new pitches.

He's at least throwing it a bit different.

In 2017, his FB had a -8.13 inch horizontal movement and a 9.5 inch vertical movement.

In this start, his FB had a -6.69 inch horizontal movement and a 11.11 inch vertical movement.

That's a different grip or release, if not a different pitch.

Thanks for this and all your insight, always great to read.   So are you not worried about the velocity as much considering this I assume?

Just now, murph said:

Thanks for this and all your insight, always great to read.   So are you not worried about the Velo as much considering this I assume?

I'm concerned about his velocity. He was good the second half, why start throwing your fastball differently? Unless his velocity is down and he's going for movement to try and cope with the loss of stuff. I don't know, we'll have to wait and see.

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm concerned about his velocity. He was good the second half, why start throwing your fastball differently? Unless his velocity is down and he's going for movement to try and cope with the loss of stuff. I don't know, we'll have to wait and see.

I read somewhere (possibly Orioles IG account) that in ST, cashner taught him the 2 seamer as a 3rd pitch to induce GBs. 

Just now, MDtransplant757 said:

I read somewhere (possibly Orioles IG account) that in ST, cashner taught him the 2 seamer as a 3rd pitch to induce GBs. 

Obviously SSS, but Gausman is getting 38.3% GB on the season after this start. 

Archived