Gausman's velocity

cheecks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I wasn’t aware Fangraphs had movement data. Where are you seeing this?

I agree he is usually upper 90s out of the gate and I’m concerned whether or not it’s a different pitch or grip.

www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx playerid=14107&position=P&type=19&gds=&gde=&season=2018

Game logs -> Pitch Info -> H Movement/ V Movement.

30 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx playerid=14107&position=P&type=19&gds=&gde=&season=2018

Game logs -> Pitch Info -> H Movement/ V Movement.

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware that info was there.

However, it agrees with what I was saying.

2017 FB H Movement=-8.2 FB V Movement=9.6

2018 FB H Movement=-6.3 FB V Movement=9.4

So no difference in vertical, but 2 inches less right to left movement, meaning more armside tail.

14 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware that info was there.

However, it agrees with what I was saying.

2017 FB H Movement=-8.2 FB V Movement=9.6

2018 FB H Movement=-6.3 FB V Movement=9.4

So no difference in vertical, but 2 inches less right to left movement, meaning more armside tail.

You know, I think I looked at that data and saw two inches of movement and thought that was not a significant number, but I guess in the context of a plate or even a baseball bat, that's very significant.

17 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

http://www.espn.com/fantasy/baseball/story/_/id/23115114/fantasy-baseball-why-kevin-gausman-breakthrough-likely-way

ESPN's top fantasy guy is still a fan.  I've read and listened to him awhile and think he's a pretty good analyst - this gives me some comfort.

Wow. I didn’t realize his first-strike percentage was under 50%, which explains a lot. Some good stuff in here.

5 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

Wow. I didn’t realize his first-strike percentage was under 50%, which explains a lot. Some good stuff in here.

Gausman actually brought this up when interviewed after his last game. He was frustrated that he wasn't throwing first pitch strikes. 

o

(vs. TIGERS, 4/18)

In the 4th inning of today's game, Gausman hit 93.7 MPH, 93.4 MPH, and 93.2 MPH on 3 different pitches (all 4-seams fastballs.)

His fastest pitch of the day so far was a 95.8 MPH 4-seam fastball, thrown on the final pitch of the 5th inning.

In the 1st inning, those 4-seam fastballs were being thrown between 90.4 MPH and 92.7 MPH.

So he appears to be throwing harder as the game progresses. 

o

13 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. TIGERS, 4/18)

In the 4th inning of today's game, Gausman hit 93.7 MPH, 93.4 MPH, and 93.2 MPH on 3 different pitches (all 4-seams fastballs.)

His fastest pitch of the day so far was a 95.8 MPH 4-seam fastball, thrown on the final pitch of the 5th inning.

In the 1st inning, those 4-seam fastballs were being thrown between 90.4 MPH and 92.7 MPH.

o

o

The 2 solo home runs that he has ceded came off of a 90.8 MPH fastball (Jeimer Candelario), and a 78.2 MPH slider (Miguel Cabrera.)

o

On 4/18/2018 at 2:31 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. TIGERS, 4/18)

o

o

(vs. INDIANS, 4/23)

In the first 3 innings, Gausman was consistently hitting 93 MPH and 94 MPH.

In the 4th inning, he hit 95.1 MPH and 96.2 MPH respectively on the final 2 pitches of the inning.

In the 6th inning, he hit 96.9, 96 MPH, and 95.7 MPH on 3 out of the final 4 pitches of the inning.

In the 7th inning, he was consistently hitting 95 and 94 MPH to the final 2 batters that he faced. 

In the 8th inning, he hit 96.4 MPH on his final pitch of the game.

o

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. ATHLETICS, 5/05)

In the 9th inning of tonight's game, Gausman threw a 98-MPH fastball on his 110th pitch of the game.

o

On the way home from Bowie and was listening to the radio. They were concerned with Gausmans velocity in the first few innings because his fastball was in the low 90's and even in the upper 80s at one point.

25 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. ATHLETICS, 5/05)

In the 9th inning of tonight's game, Gausman threw a 98-MPH fastball on his 110th pitch of the game.

o

21 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

On the way home from Bowie, I was listening to the radio. They were concerned with Gausman's velocity in the first few innings because his fastball was in the low 90's, and even in the upper 80's at one point.

o

In his last 4 starts, he has gotten progressively faster/stronger as the games have worn on.

Hence, I suspect that Gausman has a good handle on things in terms of his velocity.

o

Archived