Looks like John Russell happened to Sisco's throws

wildcard

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to explain myself a little further, I don’t think a variation of .25-.75 runs over a full season is necessarily indicative of anything.   That’s typically what we saw with Wieters and Joseph, and it ran both ways depending on the season.   

I think when the difference is significantly over a run, over a full season that’s likely meaningful.    That’s what we saw last year with Joseph and Castillo.

When I see a difference of over a run in 21 games, it’s just something to be aware of.   Could mean something, could just be noise in a small sample.   But we do have a rookie catcher here vs. a veteran, so there’s a reasonable chance that it means something.  

I remember that Norfolk’s ERA was sky high for the first couple months last year when Sisco got there, then settled down a bit.  

44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Me like numbers.   

Me R also liking numbers.  Me R liking numbers more when numbers have significance.

Trust me I have to restrain myself from making overly much of small samples, I know how hard it can be when you think something might mean something.  But a month worth of CERA is about as meaningful as two weeks worth of outfield defensive metrics.

I do think it is very probable that Joseph calls a better game at this point.  It would be surprising if he didn't given the difference in experience. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I actually don’t think it usually means that much, especially in a 21-game sample.   But it’s something to keep an eye on.  Tony has said a few times that Caleb calls a much better game, and implied that Sisco doesn’t do as much homework as Caleb.

Chance has caught both of Cobb's starts. Chance has caught one of Bundy's five starts. Buck has been nice and has split Tillman's starts among Chance and Caleb, but Bundy's starts alone probably explain the CERA difference. I definitely think CERA is not even worth considering at all at this point. 

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Chance has caught both of Cobb's starts. Chance has caught one of Bundy's five starts. Buck has been nice and has split Tillman's starts among Chance and Caleb, but Bundy's starts alone probably explain the CERA difference. I definitely think CERA is not even worth considering at all at this point. 

These are very good points.    I guess one could query whether Cobb would have done better if Joseph had caught him.    But overall your breakdown shows why CERA is not a very reliable indicator in small samples.   

In contrast to this situation, the allocation of catcher time between the various pitchers caught by Joseph and Castillo last year was very proportional, and 5 of 6 did much better with Caleb (Bundy did slightly better with Beef).

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

These are very good points.    I guess one could query whether Cobb would have done better if Joseph had caught him.    But overall your breakdown shows why CERA is not a very reliable indicator in small samples.   

In contrast to this situation, the allocation of catcher time between the various pitchers caught by Joseph and Castillo last year was very proportional, and 5 of 6 did much better with Caleb (Bundy did slightly better with Beef).

I hear you. 

Buck seems to go out of his way to spread the starts among the catchers as the season progresses. I wouldn't be surprised if Chance catches Bundy's next start. 

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

I hear you. 

Buck seems to go out of his way to spread the starts among the catchers as the season progresses. I wouldn't be surprised if Chance catches Bundy's next start. 

I think it is going to depend on the handedness of the opposing starter.

19 hours ago, Santandah said:

He's certainly making the case that he should at least be splitting starts with Caleb Joseph. At this point, the O's lineup can't just carry Joseph's bat. If the defensive difference between the two is becoming negligible, Sisco is almost a must start.

They're pretty much splitting starts already. Caleb has started 12 (including today), Sisco has started 10. That said, I'd be starting Sisco four out of every five games from now on.

On 4/22/2018 at 1:50 PM, PaulFolk said:

They're pretty much splitting starts already. Caleb has started 12 (including today), Sisco has started 10. That said, I'd be starting Sisco four out of every five games from now on.

That’s an extraordinarily heavy workload for a rookie catcher, and I don’t see them putting that on Sisco.   Last year there were two catchers in MLB that caught 80% of their games.    Only 8 guys even caught 2/3 of their team’s games.   Sisco has never caught more than 89 games in a season.     He might catch a few more than that this year, but certainly not a lot more.   

Sisco is the future, he needs to get the bulk of the starts.  The big thing is him learning from Russell and Joseph to get better at calling the game, framing pitches, putting in the scouting time, etc., to help the pitchers be the best they can be.  He'll only learn that by playing.

On 4/21/2018 at 6:29 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Yes.

I think the Indians just contributed to the Book on Sisco being changed.

Tanner Scott and Givens aren't known for being great at holding runners on right?

"Can't catch."

On 4/22/2018 at 1:50 PM, PaulFolk said:

Or whenever a right-hander is pitching. Like Any time.

Archived