Orioles -13 DRS

weams

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I already mentioned moving Mancini to first. We are team full if DHs.   Although I think Adam could be a good right fielder.   Better that Santander for sure.   I would move Manny back to third.  Adam to right.  Mancini to first.   Bring up guys to play left and center.   Must be some slick fielding no hit shortstop we can acquire for next to nothing.   

Team needs to make changes pronto.   Who is going to pay money to watch the bad news bears?

9 hours ago, Going Underground said:

13-40 since September 1st of  last year. 

7-21 last year.End of year.

6-19 this year  See a pattern.

I see the pattern, but I don’t quite get why a respectable team suddenly fell off so drastically that it’s one of the worst teams in baseball.    It’s like almost  every player on the team suddenly forgot how to hit, and on the rare days they do hit, either the pitching or the defense or both lets them down.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I see the pattern, but I don’t quite get why a respectable team suddenly fell off so drastically that it’s one of the worst teams in baseball.    It’s like almost  every player on the team suddenly forgot how to hit, and on the rare days they do hit, either the pitching or the defense or both lets them down.   

I've read on here many a time that the 86 Orioles, IIRC went from being a solid team to being dreadful overnight.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've read on here many a time that the 86 Orioles, IIRC went from being a solid team to being dreadful overnight.  

Throw in a little Alan Wiggins into the pot and things start to fall apart.  The outfield defense was terrible and the McGregor and Flanagan started to age.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don't think there's any correlation between the end of the 2017 season and the start of the 2018 season.

I think the 2017 season just ran out of gas from trying to overcome the consistent terribleness of Ubaldo, Miley and Tillman.   

I actually think the 2018 team is a significantly improved roster, but you just have so many guys getting off to poor starts at once.  

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Throw in a little Alan Wiggins into the pot and things start to fall apart.  The outfield defense was terrible and the McGregor and Flanagan started to age.  

Wiggins wasn't bad in 85, terrible in 86 and 87.  

I can't remember if it was the 86 team or the 87 team that was the one that fell apart.  @DrungoHazewoodknows cause I remember reading a really well written post from him about it.  They were doing pretty well and all of a sudden it just fell apart.  Then we all know what happened in 88.

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

I don't think there's any correlation between the end of the 2017 season and the start of the 2018 season.

I think the 2017 season just ran out of gas from trying to overcome the consistent terribleness of Ubaldo, Miley and Tillman.   

I actually think the 2018 team is a significantly improved roster, but you just have so many guys getting off to poor starts at once.  

I think the 2018 team has a better rotation, we can see that already with the amount of quality starts.

The offense is not improved.  Guys are getting older.  There might be some slow starts in there but for the most part it's not an impressive group.

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think the 2018 team has a better rotation, we can see that already with the amount of quality starts.

The offense is not improved.  Guys are getting older.  There might be some slow starts in there but for the most part it's not an impressive group.

The offense is also quite injured.  Losing Schoop is a big blow.  Much as we criticize Trumbo (and rightly so), his .686 OPS from last year would look almost Ruthian on the current squad.  

Beckham was OPS-ing .502 when he went out, his previous low in a season was .702.  He's 28 - not exactly a guy that should be on a sudden downswing in his career.

Even Caleb, bad as his 2016 was, is managing to OPS over .100 points worse than THAT awful season.

When you're going this bad it's a combination of a lot of things.  Bad roster, bad performance all at once, bad luck.  

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

The offense is also quite injured.  Losing Schoop is a big blow.  Much as we criticize Trumbo (and rightly so), his .686 OPS from last year would look almost Ruthian on the current squad.  

Beckham was OPS-ing .502 when he went out, his previous low in a season was .702.  He's 28 - not exactly a guy that should be on a sudden downswing in his career.

Even Caleb, bad as his 2016 was, is managing to OPS over .100 points worse than THAT awful season.

When you're going this bad it's a combination of a lot of things.  Bad roster, bad performance all at once, bad luck.  

Beckham's injury probably has been hampering his performance all season.  I don't think he's the player we saw last August but I think he will return to his career norms once he is healthy.    

Chris Davis may be another story...I don't see how it's possible to cure a slow bat.  Then again, Adam Dunn hit 41 home runs in 2012, one year after his .159 debacle, so there may be hope even for Chris Davis.  

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, the defense should have been addressed. It was obvious that this defense was going to be very bad. Not just the actual errors, but the fact that we just have no range. We played great defense several years ago when we were good. The absolute refusal to move Jones before the season and keep Manny at 3B sealed our fate defensively.

7 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Don't disagree on that at all.  I just don't think Trumbo/Schoop would have this team in a significantly better spot.  

Beckham, to me, certainly not that bad but not also as good as he was last year.  

On 4/27/2018 at 8:26 AM, Moose Milligan said:

The Orioles were two an a half games out of first on August 6. That night the Orioles hit two grand slams in the same inning...and ultimately lost that game. After having started the season 59-47, they went 14 games versus 42 losses to finish the season in last place for the first time in the franchise's history in Baltimore.

Archived