PressBox: D.J. Stewart Thinks He Could Help

weams

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Not that I would necessarily expect anything else but Stewart comes across as very likable. Nice post game interview, his smile never left his face. 

It is certainly much easier to root for young players looking for a chance instead of veterans on the downswing. His second at bat was a great one, about a 12 pitch at bat and rips a double. 

Not an easy guy to face for a rookie, I watched Soto face Estrada earlier this year and Marco made Juan look like a 3 year old child; Soto was as overmatched as anyone could possibly look at any stage. DJ getting his first HR in a matchup with a pitcher that has the advanced offspeed stuff that Estrada features is a bonus. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Not that I would necessarily expect anything else but Stewart comes across as very likable. Nice post game interview, his smile never left his face. 

It is certainly much easier to root for young players looking for a chance instead of veterans on the downswing. His second at bat was a great one, about a 12 pitch at bat and rips a double. 

Very nice kid, very polite. That AB in which he stroked the double was impressive.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I loved listening to him in the post game interview. I was listening via radio and he seemed as happy as anyone could ever be. I love it. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Dempsey was gushing about him on the postgame show.   He says Stewart has leadership qualities (I’ve heard that about him before) and premium bat speed (I haven’t heard that).

Rick Dempsey has said a lot of things over the years in the moment that eventually proved to be hyperbole at best or flat out wrong, i.e. the incredible defense and effect of Wellington Castillo.  However, considering the utter apparent lack of leadership anyone on this team has shown on the team this year, I'll take comments like that and hope they grow over time.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Dempsey was gushing about him on the postgame show.   He says Stewart has leadership qualities (I’ve heard that about him before) and premium bat speed (I haven’t heard that).

I was curious about his latter point too.... I’m not sure I quite trust anything Rick Dempsey says, though. Can any of our folks that have scouted him chime in on the validity of DJ having “premium” bat speed?

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, eddie83 said:

This got a down vote?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

I was curious about his latter point too.... I’m not sure I quite trust anything Rick Dempsey says, though. Can any of our folks that have scouted him chime in on the validity of DJ having “premium” bat speed?

And just to clarify, Dempsey didn’t actually use the word “premium.”   He mentioned another player (I forget who) who (according to him) had excellent bat speed and then said Stewart’s was just as good.   I think “premium” is a very fair interpretation of what Dempsey said, but he didn’t actually use that word.   

And I agree with ShaneDawg85, Dempsey is prone to hyperbole.   I just thought it was interesting that he singled out bat speed as an area where Stewart excelled, because I haven’t heard that before (or really, any significant comment about his bat speed one way or the other).

14 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

Not an easy guy to face for a rookie, I watched Soto face Estrada earlier this year and Marco made Juan look like a 3 year old child; Soto was as overmatched as anyone could possibly look at any stage. DJ getting his first HR in a matchup with a pitcher that has the advanced offspeed stuff that Estrada features is a bonus. 

On a 1-2 count, too.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

While the bat speed is a nice thing to hear, I'm really glad to see the leadership aspect.  We seem to have a lot of quiet guys on the team and it'll be nice to see some player leadership.  *not always things we see, but hopefully he can be a strong positive influence on things*

7 hours ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Per Luke’s write-up after the 2017 season:   “The bat speed is just ok.”